First-time LAN player: discordant software versions?

dalamb

Deity
Long ago I lost my Civ IV Vanilla disks, and bought another set. Eventually I found the original set, and now want to start a multiplayer LAN game with my son. Everything seemed to work just fine (after I found out, once again, how to fix the D3DX9_32.dll problem). However, each machine got a message about the other's software being different -- don't have access to the exact message text at the moment. I played 2 turns just to check things out, and had no problems, but wonder if this is standard or if there is something I have to fix.

On both machines I installed Civ IV Vanilla and the 1.74 patch. On my son's machine I had to find the .dll and install it. On my own, I then installed BtS and the 3.17 patch. When I started the multiplayer game, each machine had its own Civ IV Vanilla disk in the CD drive.

Did the message arise because I've also got BtS on my machine? That is, did the BtS 3.17 patch change something in the base game files that my son's non-BtS machine would have noticed?

Yes the BTS patch does update the core Civ4 files, to play you need to install BTS on the other machine even if you don't plan on using it, just so that the Civ4 versions match.

CS

Top Bottom