Fix-It List

thanx theleb i tried both of your options i ended up deleting nvidia drivers and then re-installed it using the system application restore
and in the end i finally got to the gaming screen and when i got there i got the same problem as many others with my screen being extremely dark so dark that you cant really see at all apart from your units ie warriors/settlers

its wierd because the tuturial runs & looks fine but just not in 1 player mode

is there a way to fix this problem?
has a patch been released to fix this?
is there anyone out there that actually has a 100% effient working civ4?

i c alot of others here have been getting frustrated with all the many different problems that we all have seem to be encountering ive never had any other games cause me so much trouble just to get the thing to work
in tutorial the 3d game style and battling style looks amazing im just amping to play the thing if i can find away or if worst comes to worsts ill return the game to the store

so if anyone can help with a solution i would be greatfull cheers

I have the same problem. I just bought the game and when I try to run it, all I can see are the units, and a few random areas of terrain--water seems to show up well--but most types of terrain are just black. I've tried downloading the latest driver for my graphics card, and I have installed the v 1.52 patch, but I still have the same problem. Please help.

gose102977 said:
Alright, I have seen a lot of posts offering solutions to the black map issue. Would someone be nice enough to post step by step instructions as to how you solved this issue? I am not a tech guy so half of the stuff people are posting here makes no sense to me...I have been to the nvidia.com site and tried to download something, but I am not sure if I am downloading the right thing. If someone could post a reply with the instructions as easy and specific as possible, it would be much appreciated. I will not be insulted if you think I am an idiot...I am just a guy that wants to start dominating the Civ 4 world, you got to respect that....right?

For those that didn't agree with me when I posted this fix weeks ago, from the Civ IV lead programmer:
"- Increase AGP memory size in your BIOS settings to 128 or 256 if necessary"

Hi,

I usually am not such a petty, but this time I found it very insulting that the Guilds icon shows a person with the star of david painted on his hand.

I find this insulting since combined with Adam's smith's text saying that there is something "conspiratory" in the nature of guilds, it immediately reflects as if Firaxis is saying that all Jewish people are conspirators (who form in guilds take take your money).
I would personally appreciate it if you take a moment to fix that icon.

I am a dedicated Civ player, and have also recommended a number of my friends to buy the game. However I would not be able to continue doing so in case you do not fix that icon on the next patch.

Thank you.

fjorner said:
Mouse Icon Freezes But Can Still Move in Background - Symptom: the mouse icon freezes randomly. System is otherwise ok. Can move the cursor around 'invisibly' and can click around as normal but the icon doesn't follow movements. Even happens in Windows when exiting the game. Only solved by a complete cold reboot of sys. Temporary Workaround: In control panel > mouse, enable Mouse Trails with the shortest possible length. Will only ensure that the mouse icon will be VISIBLE, if not spotty. Obviously not a solution.

I have the exact same problem. Good idea on the mouse trails workaround.

Note to developers: Program in a garbage collected environment next time.

Hi I get a message saying there's an error that civ4 causes in cvgamecoredll.dll and it won't run.
I have the Harkonnen patch installed too, things worked great in v1.09! Especially after the Harkonnen patch :)
Now it doesn't run at all! Help!

All
If you see 'Merry Christmas!' message from me between 25th and 31th unclusive, this means that you are still using my fix with 1.52. Set 'patch_on = 0' in Harkonnen.ini or overwrite 'zlib1.dll' with the original one from civ4 (link to original 'zlib1.dll' can be found in my fix thread post #1). Note that if you set 'patch_on = 0', this message will still appear, but the game will run.

I had similar crash with 'MemSaver = 0' in civ4config.ini and my fix installed. Though, I had to deliberately reinstall my fix in order to catch this problem. I mean my patch wasn't loaded when I just installed 1.52.

Hi.
I am a new member with some difficulties.
When trying to run civ IV I receive the following message.

Anybody have this problem and offer some help?

Everything seems to be going wrong.

Okay, let me start off by saying that I receive the rendering error when starting Civ IV. I followed the instructions (ATI 9600, updated driver) and that didn't work. I thought it might be because, for some reason, Direct X does not initialize during Civ IV Installation (maybe because I installed the Civ IV Demo?). So, after that didn't work, I tried unpacking the Art Pack. It stopped responding. I found out I needed Service Pack 2... so I find a download for that, and during installation of Service Pack 2, an "internal error" occurs! What's with my luck?

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I am having some trouble regarding initialization of the game. I installed it and it worked (no troubles there). Then when I started the game it came out loading box and then another box that had a loading bar on the bottom and and XML thingy, then something else. THe problem is that when it reached Init Audio the box disappears and the game doesn't start. Can u help me out here please Alamo.

Thku

This is the error I get after I install civ 4

"The application or dll C:\windows\system32\d3dx9_26.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

any ideas on how to solve this?

Well, I got the initial error report and worked on this for about 4 hours before I found out that the patch was supposed to fix this. Downloaded and installed patch, now getting the error in attachment.

Found instructions for using Pak and was going to do that but it says to find the art0. file inside c:\program files....Civ4/Assets folder. Don't have a file by that name. Only have asset0...4 but no art0

So now I have no idea what to do to get the game to even run. Got it yesterday for Christmas and been working with this all day just to try to see the blasted thing.

Why oh why do they put out a game that isn't ready yet?

Could anyone give me some info on how to get this going?

Oh, yeah, I have windows xp.

Also found instructions on getting rid of ati driver and reinstalling but when I download the ati driver from the site and try to install it, I get a not compatible message, no matter which one I do. Had to do a system restore to get my original ati driver back (whatever the heck that is).

Thanks so much for any help!

Shannon
FawnRising@aol.com

Attachments

• new error.bmp
    441.5 KB · Views: 1,379
Theleb-K'aarna:

Thanks for the update, please continue posting any issues you see coz i for one want to hear about them before I find them my self:)

Have a great New Year :)

Giskard

Trv016 said:

Okay, let me start off by saying that I receive the rendering error when starting Civ IV. I followed the instructions (ATI 9600, updated driver) and that didn't work. I thought it might be because, for some reason, Direct X does not initialize during Civ IV Installation (maybe because I installed the Civ IV Demo?). So, after that didn't work, I tried unpacking the Art Pack. It stopped responding. I found out I needed Service Pack 2... so I find a download for that, and during installation of Service Pack 2, an "internal error" occurs! What's with my luck?

I was able to get the game running on my 9600 by setting the INI file to start the game in windowed mode.

Hotseat be able to play Custom Maps!!! How this could not be in the game is beyond me!!!!

OK i finally got this game to run, and it looks awsome, i started a new game single player and tryed to settle my first city and right when i hit settle the game just quits and im back at my desktop whats happening how do i fix this?

My specs are:
Pentium 4 at 2.66 Ghz
512 Mb RAM
GEforce FX 5200

My computer seems fully capable of running the game yet has problems with the easiest things. During the game the normal mouse is choppy and flickers in and out. The music is always increadibly choppy. Whenever a video is being played the game becomes even more choppy then before, even when it is only the portrait when choosing a faction. Even the intro videos the sound is choppy at regular intervals. Changing graphics settings has absolutly no effect on siverity of the chopping. If it helps I had a very similar problem with RCT 3 which was solved by setting the game off of fullscreen.
Thanks,
Nathaniel

Mouse Icon Freezes But Can Still Move in Background - Symptom: the mouse icon freezes randomly. System is otherwise ok. Can move the cursor around 'invisibly' and can click around as normal but the icon doesn't follow movements. Even happens in Windows when exiting the game. Only solved by a complete cold reboot of sys. Temporary Workaround: In control panel > mouse, enable Mouse Trails with the shortest possible length. Will only ensure that the mouse icon will be VISIBLE, if not spotty. Obviously not a solution.

is there a fix for this? i have the same problem with my logitech mx510 mouse on a USB port.

GrecoRoman said:
Hi.
I am a new member with some difficulties.
When trying to run civ IV I receive the following message.

Anybody have this problem and offer some help?

Yeah, means you have alcohol 120%, or some other cd emulation running the cd. Disable the cd emulation on your computer, and install the game from the original disk. Also could mean that your CD drive is attached through a Add on card Controller ( Ive read that in some rare cases some of the new CD protection schemes dont like this) , and you may have to hook your optical drive up to the motherboard controller.

Trv016 said:

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

"Internal error" isnt very descriptive. If you would like a better chance at someone here helping you, an EXACT error would be useful. Although, I must admit, this isnt exactly a Microsoft support forum.

Top Bottom