Fix-It List

Thank you, Zydor.

I've posted somekind of a list of my possible options of card purchase into the thread "TnL get your facts straight". If you have the energy and willingness, please comment there, I'd appriciate it.

Lance.

the game installs with no problem but when i load to play it loads a quarter of the way then freeze and my system crashes... i installed the 1.52 patch and the loading went further (about half way) and the same results... my system meets all the min requirments so i think the problem is an issue with my ati video card. my dxdiag is attached. please help

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    67.9 KB · Views: 191
I cant start this game because there is a really big scratch on my disk(at least i think thats why). Does anyone know how i could fix this?

I have a ATI Radeon 9600 Series graphics card, 128mb. When I start up the game, the intro is very laggy.
Also, When in-game, I can't see and buildings on the map or wonders or roads or anything, just everything else. Eg. terrain, units, water etc. Occasionally it will appear for a split-second, but it dissapears again. This becomes annoying when trying to fortify my city, because sometimes i'm on the wrong square.
I've tried updating my drivers, but everyone knows ATI sucks and it stuffed up the computer. Had to do system restore.
My computer meets the reccommended requirements, so I don't know why it is doing this.
My computer Specifications are as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1Ghz Processor
1536mb RAM
160gb HDD
ATI Radeon 9600 Series 128mb Graphics Card

I have tried with graphics settings on high, medium and low. All have the same problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edit] - Here are some pictures of my problems
http://mlithgow.no-ip.com/XzIB1t/img1.jpg
As you can see, the planet is missing, it flickers from being there to dissapearing
http://mlithgow.no-ip.com/XzIB1t/img2.jpg
As you can see, the planet terrain is missing, it flickers from behing there to disappearing
http://mlithgow.no-ip.com/XzIB1t/img3.jpg
As you can see the city along with other things is missing, it flickers from being there to disappearing.

Just recently as i'm writing this post, all of these things are flickering much more commonly, which may sound good because I can see the stuff more, but it is annoying. It is flickering non-stop now.

[Edit] - Just restarted it and it's flickering the same amount as it was before, only occasionally... not sure what happened there...

I installed the game and when it is loading it comes up with an error in: MSVCR71.DLL anyone know how to help me, I even replaced it(MSVCR71.DLL) with a new one and still the same problem arose.

Civ IV was working on my computer yesterday, and today I opened it and everything worked fine until it was done loading my saved game. Right after it loaded and the game screen was about to come up, the program ended and an error came up saying there was not enough video memory to run the program, followed by a Runtime Error window. I restarted the computer and tryed to open everything again several more times and the same errors came up. I decided to see if uninstalling and reinstalling the game would fix the problem. However after the game uninstalled, it wouldn't reinstall. The autorun started but the box to select install never came up. :mad:

Any ideas?

This whole page seems to be just questions and no answers...I hope someone can help us out, isn't that the reason this thread started.

krazyday said:
This whole page seems to be just questions and no answers...I hope someone can help us out, isn't that the reason this thread started.
My understanding is that the original raison d'être for this thread is to serve as a FAQ thread listing answers already discovered to be working and not to serve as a query thread for presenting new problems.

In any case, there is bound to be many times the number of similar questions to actual answers, because many new users fail to use the search functionality or read the threads listing most widespread problems.

However, if you want a reply from someone who is both obligated and capable of actually helping you, then you need to turn to usa@take2support.com.

You didnt answer what your DxDiag reports after you installed the new audio driver. Also the original report lists that DxDiag crashed on you and no tests were ran. When you just start DxDiag, it gathers information but doesn't actually test any functionality. There are "Test" buttons in the Display, Sound and Network tabs, of which the Sound tab pertains to the driver problem you had.

You might also try to troubleshoot if the problem is actually isolated to the audio subsystem by setting "AudioEnable = 0" in CivilizationIV.ini.

Heres my latest dxdiag with tests on the display and audio. I reinstalled the game, no change, i reinstalled MSVCR71.DLL, no change, and I sent an email to the support staff at Take 2 Games, thanks for your help and hope you will continue helping me because i really want to play. And this thread does have similar questions and i was just frustrated when I made my last post.

Attachments

• DxDiag-.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 145
krazyday said:
Heres my latest dxdiag with tests on the display and audio. I reinstalled the game, no change, i reinstalled MSVCR71.DLL, no change, and I sent an email to the support staff at Take 2 Games, thanks for your help and hope you will continue helping me because i really want to play. And this thread does have similar questions and i was just frustrated when I made my last post.
Either you installed it in a completely different machine or you got your DxDiag reports mixed up.

Here you have
Machine name: Computer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows ME (4.90, Build 3000)
Processor: AMD Duron(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, 750MHz
Memory: 128MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA Vanta LT (Compaq)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002C&SUBSYS_001C10DE&REV_15\000800
Display Memory: 7.5 MB
Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3058&SUBSYS_003D0E11&REV_20\BUS_00&DEV_14&FUNC_05
And before you had:
Machine name: SKYRATTLERS
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM
Card name: RADEON 8500 SERIES
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_514C&SUBSYS_013A1002&REV_00
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Description: C-Media Wave Device (emulated)
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_80E21043&REV_10

Sort that out first (which machines you are actually trying to install the game), because the first (listed last above) meets MSR and the last definitely not.

Woa!! This is a shocker and I now feel really stupid. The one whichs meets MSR is someone else's dxdiag that I was looking at and I mistakenly put that in before. So...the outcome, I have an outdated computer..lol Which means I can't play CIV4,:cry: I guess its just Civ 3 for me and I have to go back to the store.

How do you turn off the start up movie in CIV? I've tried hitting "any key" ... no luck. I don't want to turn off all the movies, just the start up. I've wached it enough, even though is is impressive. Thanks
BB

im still trying to fix this problem (page 16), you mention looking in C/windows/installer (i have xp) but this folder doesnt exist. is that the problem maybe? its wierd because i defenately didnt delete it. Do you know how to contact microsoft, they keep giving me the run around unless i pay them £50 and that seems to be just to get a phone number!

cheers. Ant

Re Start Up movie - click the screen with the mouse - that cuts short nearly all opening screens, less ones filling in for a loading process of course.

Regards
Zy

ok this really takes the piss now, ive just done a full system restore and the only things that ive installed are civ4 and the patch. This error origionally occured after i had already played the game fine for months but straigh away after the restore the error is back. Does this mean its a hardware problem?

Butterball said:
How do you turn off the start up movie in CIV? I've tried hitting "any key" ... no luck. I don't want to turn off all the movies, just the start up. I've wached it enough, even though is is impressive. Thanks
BB
Zydor said:
Re Start Up movie - click the screen with the mouse - that cuts short nearly all opening screens, less ones filling in for a loading process of course.

Regards
Zy
Thanks for the reply. I've tried all "any key's," right mouse click, left mouse click. Doesn't work. I understand that I can change my .ini file, however that will turn off all movies.
Any other ideas?
BB :confused:

alamo said:
To decipher the video terms, refer to this spec sheet. Look for 'Vertex shader' not empty (dash).

If your video card is more than 3 years old then you probably need a new one. Recommendations are not easy, as it depends on your system resources and your wallet resources. See the Video Q+A thread for more on video cards.
Hi folks - I hope you don't mind me posting this but I'm the author of the spec sheet linked above and since I get a bit of traffic from this site through to mine, I thought that I would post to say (a) thanks! ;) and (b) if you go to the front page of my site (here) you'll notice that there is a "Test my PC" link from System Requirements Lab.

They have very kindly offered this service free of charge to everyone (ie. me and you!), so if you're still puzzled by the details in the chart you can at least give the test a try - especially since it looks to see if your graphics adapter supports hardware TnL.

k... I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200XT AGP 8X 128MB DDR VIDEO ADN TV OUT video card. Civ 4 gameplay is terrible.... Can anyone give me instrustions on how to fix it? I looked in earlier posts and i saw that many of you fixed your problems... Can anyone help me please?

And I am having lots of trouble connecting online? Does anyone know whats wrong?

Top Bottom