Fix-It List

Yufflez said:
i've learned a few things after upgrading to a dual core cpu but this game has been driving me nuts. when i first played it worked fine on high graphics and 4xAA, after 8 hours of non stop playing it started going slow. then i would restart the game and it would play for like 5 mins then start going slow again, lowered the graphics, it went up to 2 mins of game time then sluggish stuff. after restarting a few times and trying again and again, it stayed for a while but once i minimized, it lags. i'm thinking either it's my cpu or my ram or that nvidia shader thing but i doubt it's any of my hardware since i've tried different parts and after it lags and i try to play another high end game i get over 100fps with no lag what so ever. could it be because i'm using 64 bit? i'm gonna buy the ddr437 crosair ram soon for overclocking and stuff so i'll soon find out if it's my cheap ram. if any one can link me to a guide on how to change the vertex shaders i'll be happy till i get this thing fixed :3
I personally maintain that there's a bunch of bugs left in Civ IV, especially when it comes to memory usage.

asmodai said:
Start > Run > dxdiag and in the end use save all information.

Here it is. Thanks for reviewing it.

Attachments

• erpcon DxDiag.txt
    38.8 KB · Views: 414
After installation, restarting my computer and clicking on the game icon, it replies that " This application has failed to start because D3DX9_26.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Anybody has any idea how I can solve this problem? Is it a hardware or software problem? Thanks

I got past the inital problem with directX issues. Now I got it installed but I get no picture other than the cursor? What do I do? I was only able to get a cursor after pressing escape since I never got any picture before that as well.

Could you please post your dxdiag on the main tech forum as a new thread,.

Start Button - click - select run - type dxdiag - press enter - wait a min - select "save all information" (remember where you saved the file) - then post the file as an attachment using the 'go advanced' button below
together with any symptoms you can remember not matter how small

Regards
Zy

I am having the same problem as Dhomeli. I exchanged the game once, assuming faulty discs. The new copy does exactly the same thing. I have attached the output from dxdiags. Help!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    46.3 KB · Views: 179
vernonlky said:
After installation, restarting my computer and clicking on the game icon, it replies that " This application has failed to start because D3DX9_26.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
This is because CivIV installs its own DX9 library which is of different version than the official DX 9.0c library (9.7.239.0 v. 5.3.1.904 as provided by MS at least for W2k).

You can solve this by copying d3dx9_26.dll from the appropriate archive in the CivIV CD/DVD and placing it in the CivIV install folder (by default "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\". If you are running a 32-bit Windows, this would be "Jun2005_d3dx9_26_x86.cab" found under "[CD/DVD drive:]\DirectX9\". Most GUI-enabled archivers can extract files from Microsoft CAB cabinet files, but Windows Explorer should be able to do that too.

imperialmog

I'm sorry but your are below hardware spec for the game - it will not run on your PC

Your card is a 7000 and main ram is 256 ( need bare min 7500 card and 512 ram with XP). Your processor is also too low. You will need a major hardware upgrade - probably a new PC ....

Hardware specs for the game:
http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_msr.htm

Regards
Zy

Kayigo

I'm sorry but your are below hardware spec for the game - it will not run on your PC - at the moment

The problem is your graphics setup - you have integrated graphics - ie on-board graphics chip. You need a graphics card. Talk to Dell about a mid range card - maybe a 6600gt, see if it will fit your beastie. If you want to checkout what they tell you post again in the main forum as a new thread and we can checkit for you before you buy anything

Rest of the PC is fine - providing you get a card, should be ok

Hardware specs for the game:
http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_msr.htm

Regards
Zy

Yeah, I just was looking at my room on that. I am getting a new laptop in a couple of weeks for getting my degree in environmental engineering. At least I know what to get.

Zydor - We have GeForce 4 MX 440 with Nvidia
specs say GeForce 2
What gives?

That one is on the edge of working / not working its a low end graphics setup. You will have problems with it running it properly. After some PC housekeeping and tidying up, you may get it to run tiny worlds ok, even standard worlds - but as the game proceeds its likely to fall over as it wont keep up with the 3D demands of the game.

You may be lucky, some have run, but it will not be anything like it should be. You will be far better off getting a mid range card.

Geforce 2s only run due to special coding to make up for their lack of Shader support - that work around is not a good one, hardly surprising its slow and clunky - doubt they willsupport GeForce 2s for much longer.

Yours is just above that level - so in theory, maybe, but I wouldnt bother you will have grief with it

Regards
Zy

I have an installation problem:
When i put in disc 2 and error comes up saying "Feature Transfer Error" where the feature is a "DefaultFeature" and the error is a Catastrophic failure." The component and file are not specified in the error message. plz help me

Zydor:

Thanks for responding.

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I don't think the problem is the graphics card. THE GAME WON'T INSTALL. I GET A "CATASTROPHIC FAILURE" WHEN I LOAD INSTALLASTION DISK 2. Sorry for shouting. Do you really think the INSTALLATION problem is related to a graphics card that exceeds their specs?

I've seen this installation problem come up on forums before, but never with a response that leads to success. Help me, Mr. Wizard!

Nothing to do with graphics - absolutely - sorry misinterpreted the post, my fault

The Castastrophic failure message is due to defective discs. A bad batch went out sometime, and they surfaced here in increasing numbers recently. Your only solution is to go back to supplier and get a swop out. Unfortunately some suppliers got multiple bad copies - exceptionaly one guy did 6 returns before success - including slamming the laptop on the Store managers desk with the demand - "ok you install it". He didnt, flipped, sorted out a working copy, then went into battle with his distributors.

An exception most are ok on return, but multiple returns have happened ...

Regards
Zy

Zydor - My last post didnt get through, so I will try again.
Thank you for your infinite patience. You have been most helpful.
I'm about out of patience, unfortunately. Since I have already returned the disc once, I'm not interested in doing so again. (What are the people who ordered this from Amazon doing?)
Since my local retailer will only do exchanges, and since it is amply evident the fault is in the program and/or disc production, I want to go to the manufacturer for a refund. Is the information on how to do this posted anywhere on the site? If this belongs in a different thread, please let me know.

You are - understandably - getting into Consumer Law re returns, that depends greatly on Country of origin. However most place a remit on the supplier, not necessarily the manufacturer - the fomer being easier to grip round the throat, than the latter. That error message is a result of defective disc, its not Civ IV program

You may find some posts, but they can at best be anecdotal in a legal sense. I would suggest your port of call is the supplier - or local Citizens Advice Bureau. Its usually far better to pester the supplier, they dont want reputations being hammered by bad production, and they are in a better position than you to clobber the Production end of the chain. As frustrating as its going to be, I would concentrate on returns to supplier - in your case Amazon by the sound of it

Going to manufacturer of the disc, you would be a very small fish in a massive pond - Amazon hitting them because they get fed up with returns reflecting badly on their reputation is far more effective as they can ultimately wave a contract

Do bare in mind that ultimately when you get a loading copy, you may face issues with the level of graphics you have, not impossible you may need to upgrade it.

Regards
Zy

Thanks again.
I am in America (California). I purchased the game through Best Buy, a large electronics retailer. I mentioned Amazon because I was trying to imagine returning the game by mail and getting a second set of defective discs.
You may be right in terms of retailer vs manufacturer pressures. I'm leaving my options open. However, I think the manufacturer needs to hear from as many people as possible, because they need to realize that releasing games which have been inadequately tested and manufactured in a shoddy manner is going to cost them money and reputation.
I have started a thread in the General Discussion area labeled "I want my money back". I encourage people to post their experiences.

erpcon said:
Here it is. Thanks for reviewing it.
@zydor: I posted my DxDiag file. Have you had a chance to review it? I can not see the sheep, cows, beaver, etc or the wave motion.

Top Bottom