Flood Barriers

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Civ 6 Fans,

I sometimes come across that I can buy Flood Barriers with Faith also Ancient Walls and more. Much more than Theatre and Science campus buildings which you can choose. Anyone know where this is coming from. I believe it's coming from relationships with city states but does anyone know which city states are giving these options?

On that note....which are the top 3-5 city states players here feel that they must have Suzerain with during game play. Of course game victory factors into this decision.

Thanks

Brew God

Ah yes, another ultra-obnoxious gameplay decision that sucks all the fun out of the game and makes playing it a boring stressful chore is when all the tiles in your civ melt away into the sea. Great idea Firaxis.

Yes, flood barriers are more expensive the more flood-prone tiles you have so you want to spam out engineers. Unless you happen to be suzereign of a randomly-generated city state in which case you can make them appear magically out of wishful thinking/faith.

Ah yes, another ultra-obnoxious gameplay decision that sucks all the fun out of the game and makes playing it a boring stressful chore is when all the tiles in your civ melt away into the sea. Great idea Firaxis.
Putting aside that this comment has nothing to do with the OP...Floodable tiles and other natural disasters were a great addition to the game. They make the map feel alive and add a sense of urgency and risk.

I like having Valetta.

I get religion and a LOT of faith, but only use it defensively. All the extra just sits there, so using for walls, etc works.
With Jesuit Edu, you can get sci/culture building with faith too.

As for random stuff ... the world congress is the worst of it. I absolutely hate it.

On that note....which are the top 3-5 city states players here feel that they must have Suzerain with during game play.

It depends on the game, but I especially love amenity city states since the last patch that adjusted amenities made it much more challenging to get ecstatic cities. Plus I like to grow my cities large at the end of the game. By large I mean 30+, sometimes I can get a couple cities 40+.

My current game has Zanzibar which France conquered in the late game and I was like, hell no. Once my friendship expired I denounced and liberated it. Rome conquered 4 city states in the late game too. I denounced them after the alliance ended, and they ended up declaring on me by joining the war with France rather than me having to do the Betrayal emergency vote, so that was nice of them.

I only put 12 city states on my huge map, I don't mind losing a few, but the important ones I like to liberate.

Aukland I like a lot as well. And Cohokia.

CIty state suzerainty importance changes with victory type, and there are few city states that are good in all cases.
I had a recent Kongo game where I was playing for culture (intending the reliquaries belief), and I happened to spawn next to Kandy and Anshan. That was ridiculously lucky, as they boost the great works and relics that I would be spamming that game anyway.
Similarly I have a game as Norway on Deity++ now, where I spawned next to Nan Madol on an archipelago map.
There is no better city state in my case on such a map type (yes, its stronger than Auckland even, which I feel is a bit overrated when compared to Nan Madol on sea maps), so for that purpose its the best I can get. On a standard Pangea map however, Nan Madol is usually quite useless.
Playing domination however, Akkad can be very powerful in that it lets you forget about battering rams and siege towers for the rest of the game.

As for generalist city states that are nearly always good regardless of victory type, the ones I value most are typically (in no particular order):
- Bologna, because extra free GPP for your districts is just good regardless of which district type it gets applied to.
- Valletta, because faith buying city centre buildings is just great as long as you have some faith income.
- Kumasi, because this is an extremely cheap way to get huge amounts of culture and gold for virtually free.

Valetta is a great city state to have suzerainity over (without it the only way to rush-build flood barriers is with engineers). Other key city states are Hong Kong if you're going for a science victory, and Yerevan if you're after a religious victory. Less essentially, Hunza is agreat souce of gold, amd buenos Aires and Zanzibar for amenities.

Yes, flood barriers are more expensive the more flood-prone tiles you have so you want to spam out engineers. Unless you happen to be suzereign of a randomly-generated city state in which case you can make them appear magically out of wishful thinking/faith.
I normally run a lot of IZ with coal plants so I flood the world quickly. Just make sure you get Computers early and then it is pretty cheap to build in your coastal cities. For the new or low production cities you will have to use the engineers but it shouldn't be that many.

Capetown is crazy good, getting production for tile improvements. I'm still scarred by Civ V's release where it took forever to build anything. Which may be partly why Auckland is perceived as so good (by me as well). But I agree that Nan Madol is by far the best on a map with any decent amount of coastal cities (which I love to have anyway).

The biggest unbalanced part of Valetta is that the faith requirement is static, but the production cost of flood barriers varies. If the faith requirement to buy them varied with their actual production cost, it would still be a top tier CS because it's the best way to rush them still, but it would at least be balanced a little more. Like back when Lahore gave a fixed price Nihang and you could recruit a modern era unit for a medieval era price. They patched that out to make them still strong but more balanced.

Nan Madol is sneaky, because it's hard to see its benefits vs even another strong CS like Kumasi. But if you're on even a marginally watery map, yeah, Nan Madol alone can give you enough culture to not have to worry much about it through the rest of your empire.

The one thing I don't like about Valletta is that I usually ignore Faith in my games. And, IIRC, suzerainty of Valletta means you can only buy city center buildings with Faith, you can no longer build them with Production. Unless that got patched out since the last time I looked.

The one thing I don't like about Valletta is that I usually ignore Faith in my games. And, IIRC, suzerainty of Valletta means you can only buy city center buildings with Faith, you can no longer build them with Production. Unless that got patched out since the last time I looked.
I believe only the Walls can no longer be built by Production once you are Suzerain of Valetta. Everything else can still be built with Production. I need to check with Anti-flood Walls, but they are so cheap with Faith that going Production is only worth if you have some Military Engineers to speed up the process.

Top Bottom