fog of war

el toro loco

Warlord
in civ III, the ai knows where u are at all times. if u have one weak city unprotected somewhere the ai will send a couple troops in a ship and get it immediately. it constantly bypasses better protected cities for cities that are less protected. if u accidentally leave a troop by himself the ai will know where it is and pounce. in civ IV i most want to see this fixed. i would like to see a smarter ai and one who doesn't cheat the fog of war.

el toro loco said:
in civ III, the ai knows where u are at all times. if u have one weak city unprotected somewhere the ai will send a couple troops in a ship and get it immediately. it constantly bypasses better protected cities for cities that are less protected. if u accidentally leave a troop by himself the ai will know where it is and pounce. in civ IV i most want to see this fixed. i would like to see a smarter ai and one who doesn't cheat the fog of war.

I believe the reason that was implemented was because the AI was not competitive without it.

i belive what searcheagle says is true..but i have to agree .. i think that before all this wonderful graphical change.. the AI's intelligence should have been Absolutely first priority

Wasn't it mentioned in the pre-release info that the AI will no longer be able to "cheat" in this manner? The AI in cIV will have only the information available to it that any human player would. Should be an improvement.

The question becomes, once an AI opponent clears away the black and only leaves the fog, will they know what is there? I understand that they will be on par at the start, but after that, does the AI see what they have uncovered? I mean one of the bugs, i think, was that once you uncovered the black and saw only fog, then if a city was placed within that fog, you would actually know, which, i think is just silly. So, is there limiting on the AI, and even humans, once the black is cleared and the fog remains.

The fact that the AI beelines for weak units and cities is exploited by many, many players (basically by pulling the AI away from significant areas). So it is ironic that by limiting the AI vision of the map, it will help weak players, but make it a little harder for the very good players.

Of course, if the AI could see all, but act SMART, it would be more difficult for all human players. Bt we don't want them cheating too much.

I would hope they will take care of this in cIV.

Should fog of war be permanent? Once you get modern tech like satellites and such, shouldn't we be able to penetrate the fog? At the very least a picture of terrain improvement should be included. Why do you think America was so fearful of Sputnik?

And yeah, you can exploit the AI omniescence (sp? unfortunately I'm not) but you may also just forget about a city and they take it easy. I usually leave the core underdefended (cause it's not like we have an army stationed in Colorado) and they slip in a cavalry or something. Sometimes they go for a group of workers (with a cavalry of 1 hp), capture, move them inside your borders undefended and you pick up the workers then finish off the already weak cavalry, without really losing a turn.

Top Bottom