For new & not-so-new GOTMers...

starlifter

Deity
like me.

Well OK, I'm not really new, but I have not played GOTMs since #18, and now we're in #69. I'm not familiar with what has been tried, what players liked, what were the "best" and "worst" ones, etc. Any "new" GOTMers may also have a similar situation.

Though everyone has different styles and levels of play -- and "best" is a highly subjective term -- what are your ideas from those who have played (or those who just lurk & read threads about) recent GOTMs? You lurkers ... I mean you too; everyone coming here has their own ideas. What are your cheers and jeers? What sorts of things have been tried? What were some of the more "entertaining" GOTMs to read/learn from?

Maybe this thread can be sort of a guide to point to the highlights of past GOTMs to "jumpstart" us newbies.

P.S., Please make a link to whatever post or thread you talk about. :) Also, in general, its best not to post in old threads, because it "revives" them and pushes current stuff "down."

GOTM 18
I recall that GOTM 18 was locked into Fundamentalism-only as the government type, for instance, and that was a lot of fun + quite different in terms of some strategy.

GOTM 18: Announcement/Download
GOTM 18: Spoiler
GOTM 18: Kev's OCC Play
GOTM 18: Results
Comments on GOTM Fundamentalism
Power Fundamentalism (PF) (can be used in Communism, too)
Pyramids vs Colossus in Fundy
Trading without Colossus
Use of Marco Polo's Embassy (MPE)

This game showed how a non-Representative government could still grow, and maybe most importantly for some players, how Fundamentalism science could still be used to approach that of a Power Democracy.

Many of the Fundamentalism strategies can also be applied to Communism, or even Monarchy (which will indeed give the extra trade arrows of Republic -- but not the growth -- when a city celebrates).

Trade can work. Celebrate your trade city(s), then deliver. Get it to the enemy, and you do not lose 50% of your bonus due to trading with yourself (BTW, the enemy gets nothing, in terms of bonus, when you deliver to their city). My trade routes and ship chains went like this:

Civ2_GOTM_Trade_map.jpg

I love playing something other than the so called random map (which is anything but random) on a regular basis. From among the GOTMs I have followed (16-25, and all since 40) we have played on earth 3 times (GOTMs 25, 50, and 60), and on custom designed maps a number of times (GOTMs 45, 53 (HaftJazire), 55 (Butterfly), 58 (Gauntlet), 67&68 (Ring World)).

Some of the 'random' maps have been 'tweaked' a bit as well. Sometimes we set starting locations or change the terrain to try and introduce different ideas into game play.

Things like destroying Marco Polo, all grasslands, giving the AI units; things that hopefully make them a bit different from a 'random' game.

For me, there is no need for special maps or special rules. I've enjoyed most of the GOTMs I've played in - from 45 to 69. I especially liked the unusual maps of GOTMs 58 ("Gauntlet") and Ali's concentric-arcs-of-circle map (both created nice puzzles for EC players).

I'm ambivalent about the ones that forced us to play for landing, or in modern settings, etc. I certainly learned from them, but I usually prefer early conquest. I don't enjoy looooong turns as much. Rules against wonders haven't strongly affected my games. Other "random" rules [conquer all but the Aztecs, irrigate continent #7, build 10 wonders in your capitol, etc] which have not been tried yet, would be OK with me. The Polish GOTMs had lots of neat twists, but the rules/scoring were never very clear.

Didn't like "Swamp World" (approx #48) and skipped the one with the rule against growth (approx #62??). I don't like restarts on. I like popping huts. I like to have some idea of AI strength when I start (otherwise early planning is just a shot in the dark).

I love playing early landing. I am playing since GOTM 64. This one I didn't do EL. GOTM 65 I didn't play (no time). GOTM 66 I failed. To play a special scenario once in a while is ok to me....it's nice to play sometimes a different sort of game.

GOTM 68 was very interesting for me. I replayed it a few times and learned a lot about it.

civdood: I don't think anybody has posted such a history, but it's a good idea. I have a spreadsheet that includes about 20-30 randomly-chosen gotms with level, map size, earliest conquest date, etc... probably not of much general interest, as it is now. But if some other players want to help put a history together, we could start a thread on that.

Until then, I guess you can use the GOTM home page, which has the game descriptions, the results, and the saved games.... on 200 different links.

As a GOTM lurker, I think certain games like Fundamentalism are fun to look at. Map elements like your #68 are also very interesting, and the modern element makes for a new line of thinking. Your GOTM makers are creative and effective. I remember reading one entertaining GOTM long ago about choosing an (ancient?) wonder. A GOTM index, with basic information and start conditions, and links (kind of like Startlifter post, but in a standardized format) would be very good for future, and those of us who lurk... and may be one day even play, hey. Maybe a table with links to a player's own summary of their game, for each GOTM. You have a lot of good information, and player work here, but its hard to get at it sometimes, especially if its the past.

Of curiousity, who is GOTM staff at Civ2? The site does not say, but obviously DM is one.

Dong2Long said:
Of curiousity, who is GOTM staff at Civ2? The site does not say, but obviously DM is one.

It's really just me, but it makes it sound better if there are other people as well. ;)

Ok, guess not. Honestly, most of the staff like to stay behind the scenes. As long as they want it to be that way, it will be that way. So, they are the 'staff'. :)

Top Bottom