[TUTORIAL] For those who use steam to play C2C.

Hi I need help with this please

It will not let me make a new folder. it says "already a folder on this drive for Steam"
If you only have one suitable drive and need to shorten the install path for BtS then the only option would be to re-install steam as close to the root of the drive.
This is the shortest you can get it with steam:
C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos​
It is short enough to avoid any problems with the path length to the deepest C2C assets.

A custom game installation location would still have the same folder structure as games installed within the steam software location, so there is no way to avoid this "[Drive Letter]:\Steam\steamapps\common\"

Yes, that seems legit.
But I would cation those who are not comfortable with editing the windows registry that you can seriously break your system by making the wrong change in there.

If you feel insecure about editing the registry my advice is not to do it, though following guides like that is usually safe if you understand everything the guide is saying and feel sure that the guide is tested and true.

The Group Policy Editor method described there is however completely safe in comparison to the registry hack method.

I can't say for sure that this will work for BtS
Article said:
There is one caveat. This new setting won’t necessarily work with every application out there, but it will work with most. Specifically, any modern applications should be fine, as should all 64-bit applications. Older 32-bit applications need to be manifested in order to work, which really just means that the developer has indicated in the application’s manifest file that the application supports longer paths.

Reactions: tmv
I don't think so... It looks like your mod folder has a needless extra shell mod folder. There must only be one folder named Caveman2Cosmos and if you have another one within that one, you gotta get it out of that empty shell folder. That happens on steam on some install methods it seems.

Am I doing it right?
No way to really tell from that picture, the background picture can be changed between three choises in game options, and only one of them is unique to C2C.
Do you hear music that is definitely not standard BtS music in the main menu there?
In custom game, is there mapscripts with names starting with C2C_something?

Last edited:
I didnt even really install. I had trouble finding the right place to install to. I even installed bts to D: and still not getting it to work right because of confusing info online. I seem to have miraculously got it running. Stone tool builder not showing. Many things to build arent showing in the usual channels

Last edited:
I didnt even really install. I had trouble finding the right place to install to. I even installed bts to D: and still not getting it to work right because of confusing info online. I seem to have miraculously got it running. Stone tool builder not showing. Many things to build arent showing in the usual channels
1. Make sure mod isn't in my documents and is named Caveman2Cosmos
2. Delete your User Settings folder.
3. run game as admin - right click BTS exe and run it as admin.
4. After User Settings is recreated righclick it, click on properties and unselect "read only".
5. Use english language.

If you meant city build popup with units and buildings:
Intentionally it was made so it lists only few things, as it was slowing down late game.

If you meant city building/unit buttons on bottom:
It was replaced with three categories and processes.
Click on each category button to see units, buildings and wonders.

Last edited:
When I run C2C as an administrator, my steam controller doesn't work, though it otherwise does. I never had any issues without running C2C as an administrator until now. I tried running it as administrator because I am having a CTD when I try to end my turn after loading my save (earlier saves crash once I catch up with the newer save and end my turn).

Does it seem like the CTD could be related to the administrator status? What might be done about the Steam controller? It works if I alt-tab to a different window, but not in the C2C window (when ran as an administrator).

When I run C2C as an administrator, my steam controller doesn't work, though it otherwise does. I never had any issues without running C2C as an administrator until now. I tried running it as administrator because I am having a CTD when I try to end my turn after loading my save (earlier saves crash once I catch up with the newer save and end my turn).

Does it seem like the CTD could be related to the administrator status? What might be done about the Steam controller? It works if I alt-tab to a different window, but not in the C2C window (when ran as an administrator).
Upload save and user settings

Upload save and user settings

Where can I find the user settings file? I found a folder by that name, split among many files (I believe they represent the BUG settings). Should I upload every file?

Attachments

• Crake May 21, BC-1094.CivBeyondSwordSave
    4.1 MB · Views: 109

Running it as admin won't fix CTD's, only run it as admin if the game is unable to write to the files in usersetting. Meaning bug option changes won't be saved between sessions.
Steam controller.... do you mean the steam overlay?
Where can I find the user settings file? I found a folder by that name, split among many files (I believe they represent the BUG settings). Should I upload every file?
CTD's should be reported in another thread, and to upload a folder, just zip it with 7z or something.

Last edited:
Running it as admin won't fix CTD's, only run it as admin if the game is unable to write to the files in usersetting. Meaning bug option chhanges won't be saved between sessions.
Steam controller.... do you mean the steam overlay?

CTD's should be reported in another thread, and to upload a folder, just zip it with 7z or something.

I was referring to my physical controller (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Controller), but the overlay doesn't work either.

Is it still recommended to install the Beta version for Steam users?
Will switching reduce memory allocation errors?
Otherwise, the latest SVN versions are so good now that I play on bigger maps and past the industrial era - have to to chase those crashes ;)

Hi, sorry to necro such an old thread, but just started playing C2C and want to ask if doing this switch is still advisable? I did not get any long path errors or any other errors.

Top Bottom