Founding cities next to each other.

Pavel Tulisov

Chieftain
Can anybody tell me what file do I need to edit to remove 2 tile restriction when founding cities next to each other?

This is controlled by variable MIN_CITY_RANGE in ...\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml:
Code:
<Define>
    <DefineName>MIN_CITY_RANGE</DefineName>
        <iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

One way to edit this would be to create a mod where you put this code
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Tim McCracken (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Global Defines -->
<Civ4Defines xmlns="x-schema:CIV4GlobalDefinesSchema.xml">
    <Define>
    </Define>
</Civ4Defines>
inside ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\MOD_NAME\Assets\XML\GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and change the value from 2 to something else where MOD_NAME is the name of your mod.

This is controlled by variable MIN_CITY_RANGE in ...\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml:
Code:
<Define>
</Define>

One way to edit this would be to create a mod where you put this code
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Tim McCracken (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Global Defines -->
<Civ4Defines xmlns="x-schema:CIV4GlobalDefinesSchema.xml">
    <Define>
    </Define>
</Civ4Defines>
inside ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\MOD_NAME\Assets\XML\GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and change the value from 2 to something else where MOD_NAME is the name of your mod.
Tnak you!

Wait, you mean there is actually a way to force cities to not overlap their BFC and it has been hiding from me in plain sight all this time?

I'm using this value <iDefineIntVal>4</iDefineIntVal> because the AI (and I myself) tend to build much too many cities on big maps. Simply because we can.

Starting with 12-18 civs on a 160x100 map with 60% water............. a distance of 4 tiles between the cities gives 'round 180-220 cities on the map already before we reach modern times. That's just about what the game-engine can handle without crashing too many times. Specially if too many civs still are alive in the late game.

I'm using this value <iDefineIntVal>4</iDefineIntVal> because the AI (and I myself) tend to build much too many cities on big maps. Simply because we can.

Starting with 12-18 civs on a 160x100 map with 60% water............. a distance of 4 tiles between the cities gives 'round 180-220 cities on the map already before we reach modern times. That's just about what the game-engine can handle without crashing too many times. Specially if too many civs still are alive in the late game.
I have the opposite problem. I find that on large maps the AI does not build enough cities, and by modern times almost half of the map is still empty.

Top Bottom