Freezing during Barbarian/City-state turns

Alkahest

Lord of the Internet
***SOLVED***

I recently started playing Civ 5 again after not having played it for around a year, and have now been running into the issue that the game freeze seemingly randomly on the barbarian turns (or city-state turn if barbarians are disabled). My play time in Civ 5 before this was more than 700 hours, and I've never had this issue until now.

I googled the issue, and found reports of people saying that it crashed during the barbarian turn, but only on specific turns or with specific civilizations. For me, however, the crashes seem to be random. Whenever the crash happens, the game doesn't actually crash directly to desktop, the game stays open but there isn't any sound or music and I can't move the cursor (also CPU usage drops from the usual 40% to 0%). Trying to Alt+Tab out of the game doesn't work and I have to restart my PC. I am usually able to reload an autosave a turn or two before the game froze and attempt to
change whatever action may have caused it to screw up, however it only delays the freeze by a few turns at most. After some research I believed that it was the autosave feature that was the cause of the freeze, and at first disabling it worked, but that was only for a few more turns before it froze again.

I've already done a clean re-install, and have rebooted multiple times, but nothing seems to help. This occurs both in Modded games and in non-modded games. I just built a new computer and was really hoping to enjoy civ so this is really disheartening. It may be worth noting that I do not have this issue on my laptop. I'd appreciate any help someone can give me.

UPDATE: Issue has been resolved! Turns out EUI has been the issue so I just went back a version and everything seems to be working great! I've got one game down without any problems so hopefully that trend continues! I hope anyone else having this problem get to see this and maybe get some help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom