From the Science Office - What to research after Bronze Working ?

Rik Meleet

Top predator
Retired Moderator

In 5 turns our great nation will know what Bronze Working is. A great breakthrough, made by our inspired scientists. They are eager to know more. They have pinpointed no less than 6 different possible things they'd like to and are able to work on.

1) Iron Working - Iron is an even stronger metal than the much talked about bronze. It allows for our nation to train army-groups which carry long metal weapons and are expected to be powerful attackers, and still decent in defense. The Science Department calls them "Swordfighters", but the name can change. We do need to find a source of Iron though to be able to manufacture the weapons for the swordfighters. The Science department beleieves that, once we know what Iron is, we can locate it. Civ-value 6.
2) Masonry - The smart stacking of stone. This allows defensive construction on a city-surrounding wall. It is believed that it can also be used to build a large grain-storage for the entire landmass we are on. Civ-value 4.
3) Alphabet - the calligraphy of pictures on paper. The science department is convinced this is very very useful, but until now hasn't been able to figure out why it is. Civ-value 5.
4) Pottery - Making storage containers out of clay. These containers can be used to store wheat (for instance) for a very long time so that in times that we have more food than we can eat we can save it for times we are short on food. In the long term this will lead to more people and a more powerful nation. Civ-value 2.
5) Warrior Code - the laws of our fighting forces. With a good designed law we can improve our warriors and perhaps give them better weapons. Civ-value 3.
6) Mysticism - Doing strange things for the good of all. Very often the greatest scientific breakthroughs are made by doing something stange. Remeber that my great-great-great-grandfather Riko Meleta smashed 2 stones together after he broke his axe in an effort to sharpen it? That gave us fire. Strange things will benefit us. Civ-value 4.

I would suggest Iron Working as our next Tech to research. After that, it's off to the Monarchy path.

definetly iron working next, but mayb after that we could get jus masonry then to monarchy
the pyramids won the wonder poll by a significant amount, and I think it is the best wonder in the game

Fier, my good man. The people never stated with certainty when they wanted the Pyramids. ;) I would certainly excuse the people for placing the opportunity for a strong military above providing food storage for cities we haven't even founded yet.

If you haven't guessed, my vote goes for Iron Working.

Rik Meleet said:

Minister Rik,

That is quite a fancy rendering you have leaning against your hut. Therefore, I must ask on behalf of many of our frightened people:

Are you some kind of heretic? We would hate to have to put you under the same watchful eye as that Imperial Oil guy.

Minisrer Rik-
While you were away, the people were polled and it turns out a lot of folks want to head to Monarchy. However, many people would also like to see Iron Working researched. If I am interpreting this correctly, it appears the people wish to do Iron Working followed by a quick route to Monarchy.

However, the people also want to build the Pyramids... Go figure.

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
Minisrer Rik-
While you were away, the people were polled and it turns out a lot of folks want to head to Monarchy. However, many people would also like to see Iron Working researched. If I am interpreting this correctly, it appears the people wish to do Iron Working followed by a quick route to Monarchy.

However, the people also want to build the Pyramids... Go figure.
My dear deputy; people change their minds. It's up to us to know what the people want to have researched. Once we start, there is no turning back, so we are careful to assess what people want now. And that is what we are going for. Previous polls hold limited value because of this.

Donovan Zoi said:
Minister Rik,

That is quite a fancy rendering you have leaning against your hut. Therefore, I must ask on behalf of many of our frightened people:

Are you some kind of heretic? We would hate to have to put you under the same watchful eye as that Imperial Oil guy.
I am Japanese, thus Militaristic and Religious. No heretic here. But please put me under a watchful eye; it will help my future elections ;)

In due time, my dear Donovan, in due time you'll understand what those symbols mean. I'm just so far ahead of your time that I look at you smiling, knowing that if you let me lead you in my ways you'll soon know what the symbols really mean. Patience my friend, patience. ... And Science !!! ...

One of them looks like something to drink sake out of, with markers indicating how much is in the bottle. :p

citizen001 said:
i think we should take the path to philosophy so we might be able to get free techs.

We are not playing Civ3 Conquests. We are playing straight Civ3, no mods, no nothing. Vanilla Civ3.

We seem to be approaching this decision from the point of view that we must research these things ourselves. Although we have not yet encountered other peoples inhabiting this place, there are rumours of other civilizations starting their trek along the path of greatness. We even hear tales about other worlds where peoples of the same name have tendencies to research the same scientific breakthroughs, on every world where they are known.

I know it is asking a lot of our people, but we should consider researching the things we may not need but which others will not have. Then we may be able to trade knowledge which only we have with all the other peoples, getting in return the knowledge we need. Let us learn about an alphabet, and how to use it to write, and then we may be able to trade with others for knowledge of working with iron or building with bricks.

Iron Working for beginning, it has good potential trade value. I really think Monarchy path takes ages and god knows when we will get to Hanging Gardens. If we start pyramids too late we'll finish up building oracle and wasting shields, but we could quickly get to Literature and have great culture and get free techs. Its as expensive as Pyramids and AI can't build it that fast so when the time comes maybe we will even have Monarchy to switch to Hanging Gardens if we must.

So IW-Alphabet(great trade value)-Writing-Literature.

So, first of all I'd say we need Iron working so we can secure that resourse early in the game. Then, we can create swordsman and have an early upper hand on any other civs. As it seems, other citizens are leaning towards the monarchy path, and I don't mind. We can get Mysticism and pick up the Oracle on the way to Monarchy and The Hanging Garden. From there I say we look towards masonry or alphabet, but thats a little far into the future.

Overall:
Iron Working>Mysticism>Polytheism...

It seems most players want Iron Working first. But as scientists we don't do things when they are simply based on assumptions. A poll will be made soon (couple of hours) to identify scientifically the desire of the nation. The outcome of that poll will be put into the instructions to the DP.

Rik Meleet said:
I am Japanese, thus Militaristic and Religious. No heretic here. But please put me under a watchful eye; it will help my future elections ;)

In due time, my dear Donovan, in due time you'll understand what those symbols mean. I'm just so far ahead of your time that I look at you smiling, knowing that if you let me lead you in my ways you'll soon know what the symbols really mean. Patience my friend, patience. ... And Science !!! ...

OK, I'm in.......

So, I say we figure out that pointy thing with the handle first, right? :mischief: :D

I would go for Pottery. I want increased growth for rapid settler production. We can't get that from Iron Working. We don't need that tech, yet.

Top Bottom