1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Frontier pass - Paying in advance and quality

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ezzlar, May 12, 2020.

1. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

It does not, at least for any established firm. Yes, you can scrimp on quality after receiving funds for something, but you can only do that once. Unless you have a near huge customer churn rate by the next time you do it, there is no incentive to produce low quality after receiving funding, as it will lower the potential funding for the next round.

pokiehl likes this.
  2. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I guess I don't get the big deal, i.e. this just seems like a standard 'subscription' model to me.

-I currently subscribe to a 'CSA' - I get a box of vegetables every week. I don't choose what's in it. I could also go to the farmer's market and buy them individually. I have a similar subscription that sends flowers to my mother every month.
    -Back in the ancient times of my youth, you had these things called 'magazines'. You could buy them individually in the store, or get them sent to your house monthly.

Both the CSA and the magazine subscriptions were paid in advance for a certain period of time.

It doesn't seem that different to me. If you liked a magazine and were generally interested in it's content, you could subscribe. If you only were occasionally interested in it depending on what articles were covered that month, buy individual ones in the store or read them at the library. If you have too many magazines coming every month to ready, maybe subscribe to less. Don't fall for high-pressure sales techniques by Publisher's Clearinghouse.

3. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

I'm not a big fan of spoon-fed content. I wish they would release a proper expansion pack instead. It's more exciting to dive into a full set of new game mechanics and civs.
    Now, we have to wait several months for a new district and a couple of civs. I'm just not interested in other game modes unfortunately. Whether I enjoy this pass or not entirely depends on many unknown factors like how often they release balance patches, UI updates etc. and how much content of those new game modes affect the main game as well. That's why I'm defintely not paying in advance.

Kibikus likes this.
  4. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

It seems that if your major interest is new civs this model is a low risk investment. I am mainly interested in new mechanics, I dont feel the confidence most people here share. As I preordered Civ 6 a few years ago the game was promised to be the most ´moddable´ or similiar. That didn´t happen.

RealHuhn and Kibikus like this.
  5. _hero_

_hero_ King

Well, most people buy food because they think it's going to taste good, not because they like touching it or looking at it.

Most people make their decision on whether to go to a movie or not based on a trailer. They see like 1-2% of the finished product and decide that it's worth paying for. Sometimes they are right, other times they leave the theater angry that they wasted money on it.That's not any different than seeing a trailer for a video game with a list of features and choosing to buy it without knowing 100% of what's going to be in it.

And most fans have experienced deep frustration after a particularly bad performance. It's pretty common to hear fans of bad teams say they're canceling their season tickets after such performances. They usually don't though.

My point isn't necessarily that it's good that they went with this business model. My point is that people like you don't apply the same logic to nearly every other product on the market. Only video games. Nothing you've said has convinced me otherwise.

6. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Well as of right now nobody will be preordering as you can't purchase anything Frontiers related through Steam.