[NFP] Frontier Pass

matt91486

Chieftain
Will the Mac versions keep up with the Frontier Pass model? Should we be subscribing, or will our versions not keep up?

Will the Mac versions keep up with the Frontier Pass model? Should we be subscribing, or will our versions not keep up?

I think it's too early to tell. I think they will "try to keep up", but they've said that sort of thing before. Personally, I am waiting til release of the first DLC (on the 21st) to see if they release a patch for all versions (that's not dependent on the Frontier Pass). They should at least patch the Mac Metal bugs before they get any more of my money, but a.), others of course will feel differently, and b.), even I may cave in at some point, as I have been known to do in the past. :(

It's true, it would be great if my game didn't crash every three turns once I hit mid game.

I’ll buy via Steam first, which will give me the Mac version automatically whenever it is available. If it’s ready right away, that’s how I’ll play. If not, I’ll already have the Windows version for free.

I wish they could have mentioned some kind of timeline. Now I spent one hour trying to figure out why the DLC didn't download and it's simply because I bought something that doesn't exist yet.

I am very disappointed with the poor communication. Clear communication takes little effort and mitigates lots of misconceptions/expectations.

I'm not a programmer or developer so I don't understand how difficult it is to make a game work on both systems. But I find it a little odd that they focused on the consoles before macOS. Is the player base larger on console? Or is the OS for mac just that difficult to work with?

And yet here we are. Money debited from my account. Steam says the DLC is downloaded. Yes, I did the file integrity check and also restarted Steam. Yet there is no DLC. And full screen metal is still broken.

This wouldn’t be as bad if they would just be honest with us. We get it, sometimes it might be hard to port the game to Mac, but when Aspyr tells us that it’ll be ready, then doesn’t release on time, it feels like we’re getting cheated. And also, after 8 months of silence, how is this one dlc pack not ready?

I opened the stream chat and sent a message and a mod responded:

"Firaxis is aware of the issue with Mac users and are working to resolve the issue"

I asked them to Tweet this because of the absolute radio silence and they said

"They're currently working on setting up the stream, but they are aware. I'll mention it
"

Aspyr's communication has gotten significantly worse in the past two years. AspyrRyan hasn't been popping up occasionally like in the past.

Last edited:
They finally verbally acknowledged it but didn't give any information at all about what the issue is or any timeframe.

As of last night they were still Tweeting that it was releasing at midnight so this is incredibly stupid.

I’m glad they at least mentioned it in the live stream

Yeah I'm thinking this could be weeks or months. Saw on Twitter Aspyr had some Star Wars game coming out 5/12, but in late April they said it would take a few more weeks and pushed to 5/26 except for the Switch version, and then on 5/11 they said nah never mind Switch is delayed too and also the 5/26 date is not in the cards either. And now there's just no date at all. And this is only for a port of 90s game.

Ugh. Don't want to download bootcamp.

I’m glad they at least mentioned it in the live stream

Yeah but their response was so empty it was practically meaningless. I worked in PR for the better part of a decade and "we're working with our partners and we'll announce more soon," is essentially saying they have no solid idea or any answer they can give will be disappointing at best.

Edit:fixed typo

I think its just most surprising that they seem to genuinely not understand that what we want more than anything is just some coherent communication. I get that developing now might be weird technologically with everyone working from home. But just tell us something so we aren't being mislead. Basic PR skills is all we ask for.

Gah! Why do they keep using Aspyr? Paradox and Amplitude don't. :mad:

This is how to fix this. In-house porting or someone else.

And it is reprehensible that they do not communicate. What is wrong with these people that they do not just say what is going on and adore leaving people in the dark after they advertised that it would be out. This is on Firaxis and on Aspyr. @AspyrRyan, @dshirk, please release an explanation. We do deserve one. Stop treating us Mac users like this, please.

Top Bottom