furor teutonicus?

Frank Drebin

Police Squad!
anyone else strike this as very weak compared to the other civs' special abilities?

anyone else strike this as very weak compared to the other civs' special abilities?
Not really. The ability to get free units/gold from the start seems very potent. Remember that individual units are more valuable, gold can be used to rush buy/borderbuy, and barb camps will spawn throughout the game in unrevealed territory. Don't forget that honor alerts you whenever a barb camp spawns, along with the str boost.

I agree that it seems weak... also becomes useless after a while, depending on how crowded the map is; but still, a small bonus that only counts for small part of the game...
Compared to some of the others, it's pretty lame.
(Then again, England's off even worse if you ask me.)

It has some nice synergy with the Honor SocPol Tree - which gives you a bonus vs barbarians and tells you where new encampments are in territory you have explored. Since the Honor tree improves your military, too, Furor means that Germany has the ability to generate early cash and a stronger, bigger early army. They may prove to be the "rush" civ.

Also with that ability they would not have to use so much time building military units. So they can use that time building something else. So they might get buildings up faster or even wonders. To me that sounds quite good advance in early game.

nah, its a good enough ability, and some abilities may very well be "weaker" than others, but you have to think surely the developers noticed this, and surely thier must be a reason, perhaps thier unique units will make re-balance the situation. Also different playing styles will be better on different civ's, the German's best play style will be early rushes of barbarian camps as they will get more XP/Gold/Units than others can.

Hard to tell. We have heard that units are much more valuable and take much longer to build than previous civs, so maybe getting that free unit is better than it seems. Imagine popping a University or something for killing a barbarian.

We'd need to play the game in order to see how useful it is, but I actually think it's one of the stronger abilities.
Units now cost more than in previous civ games and and barbs can spawn units that the most advanced civs can build. This might be a way for Germany to get units without the tech or resources required to build them (albeit at an increased maintenance cost).
Also people shouldn't underestimate an advantage that gets useless or weaker after a while since the early phase is often the most important in a game. Free units can translate into an early rush or if you're more peaceful extra wonders and buildings from the production you saved. Rome needs a second city before they can use their ability, the Germans could theoretically double or triple the size of their military through barbarians before most civs have their first settler if camps appear early enough.
Of course the usefulness of this ability depends entirely on how many encampments there are and if you play against Germany you can keep them weaker through rigorous fog-busting and going at the encampments yourself, making it one of the few abilities you can actively keep your enemy from exploiting. My only real gripe with Furor Teutonicus is that it's a bit weird to condense Germany into a warmonger civ. An industry, culture or great people bonus would be just as appropriate, and recruiting barbarians and additional loot would have been perfect for the Mongols when they inevitably get added as DLC or a real expansion pack.

If you didnt know whether Civ 5 was out or not and read all but the last three posts (excluding mine) you wouldnt notice that nobody has played it yet.

Apparently though, it is really good in a combination with a social policy that gives you a combat bonus vs barbs and also notifies you whenever one pops up.

They aren't likely to make every civ trait be completely equal thru the whole game, that would be boring and pointless. As with UUs and other stuff, some are good at different phases of the game or with different strategies.

Top Bottom