[TOT] FW/MGE Mars for TOT

Noire Leblanc

Chieftain
So, all those years ago (probably in 2002?) I first met Civilization 2 in the form of MGE, and like almost everyone else who found it, I enjoyed the Mars Now scenario. I'm considering converting it or remaking it for Test of Time (especially with TOTPP) and the first thing that comes to mind is: "I can't be the first person to do this," so because I'm historically bad at finding things, I'm going to check if I'm duplicating existing work.

If I'm not...then I guess I know what I'm doing for a few days.

So, all those years ago (probably in 2002?) I first met Civilization 2 in the form of MGE, and like almost everyone else who found it, I enjoyed the Mars Now scenario. I'm considering converting it or remaking it for Test of Time (especially with TOTPP) and the first thing that comes to mind is: "I can't be the first person to do this," so because I'm historically bad at finding things, I'm going to check if I'm duplicating existing work.

If I'm not...then I guess I know what I'm doing for a few days.
There was, years ago, a scenario of that like for ToT (I still have it, though I can't quite remember the creator) that was put up on the Cradle of Civilization website (back when it existed), but, while Mars was the focus (and the scenario title) it was multi-map, and included Earth and two other maps that elude my memory at the moment, and was much more involved and expansive than the original 'Mars Now" scenario. But, the actual Mars map (of the four maps) and much of the graphics (especially many unit graphics) were obviously based from the original FW scenario.

There was, years ago, a scenario of that like for ToT [....], but, while Mars was the focus (and the scenario title) it was multi-map, and included Earth and two other maps that elude my memory at the moment, and was much more involved and expansive than the original 'Mars Now" scenario. But, the actual Mars map (of the four maps) and much of the graphics (especially many unit graphics) were obviously based from the original FW scenario.

Sounds fun, wouldn't mind playing it sometime. Also sounds like that scenario involving Pluto I've read about somewhere around here, but never got around to playing.

In any case, progress has been made; in fact it's now basically done, save for me playing through it at least once to make sure nothing breaks (after which I will upload it.)

I'll probably upload the raw Mars map too, in case someone wants to just play it, perhaps to leave civ respawn on so you can finally see the Canadians show up or something.

Edit: update (didn't see a reason to make another post just because I got something done in 20 hours.)

Last edited:
There was, years ago, a scenario of that like for ToT (I still have it, though I can't quite remember the creator) that was put up on the Cradle of Civilization website (back when it existed), but, while Mars was the focus (and the scenario title) it was multi-map, and included Earth and two other maps that elude my memory at the moment, and was much more involved and expansive than the original 'Mars Now" scenario. But, the actual Mars map (of the four maps) and much of the graphics (especially many unit graphics) were obviously based from the original FW scenario.

Yup I literally just posted about trying to find Kestrel's amazing ToT 'Mars Now!' conversion scenario at Cradle of Civilization over at this thread here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...on-of-fw-mars-now-scenario-by-kestrel.636044/

I can't find it anywhere now. :(

Sounds fun, wouldn't mind playing it sometime. Also sounds like that scenario involving Pluto I've read about somewhere around here, but never got around to playing.

In any case, progress has been made; in fact it's now basically done, save for me playing through it at least once to make sure nothing breaks (after which I will upload it.)

I'll probably upload the raw Mars map too, in case someone wants to just play it, perhaps to leave civ respawn on so you can finally see the Canadians show up or something.

Edit: update (didn't see a reason to make another post just because I got something done in 20 hours.)

Have you uploaded your conversion yet mate? I'd love to check it out!!!

Last edited:
Yup I literally just posted about trying to find Kestrel's amazing ToT Mars Now! conversion scenario at Cradle of Civilization here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...on-of-fw-mars-now-scenario-by-kestrel.636044/

I can't find it anywhere now. :(

Have you uploaded your conversion yet mate? I'd love to check it out!!!
Since I don't believe Kestrel is active anymore, and CoC is down (and has been for a while), I'll post the .zip file of the scenario here, and if he does crop up and is upset at his scenario being posted without his permission (despite such permission seemingly being impossible to elicit), I'll take the heat. ;)

Attachments

• Mars.7z
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Since I don't believe Kestrel is active anymore, and CoC is down (and has been for a while), I'll post the .zip file of the scenario here, and if he does crop up and is upset at his scenario being posted without his permission (despite such permission seemingly being impossible to elicit), I'll take the heat. ;)

Hmm I'm noticing a few bugs. Eg there's no CITY.TXT names file resulting in the AI making blank cities. Might be some files missing in your copy mate. Hope I can still track Kestrel down then!

Well that reminds me that I actually finished this like, eight months ago and then got distracted by life things. If I can get my dead computer's hard drive to work long enough, I'll upload my version in the next few days.

Thanks man I look forward to checking it out! :)

Last edited:
Forgot to post here but over in my Kestrel Mars hunt thread I found a better copy that wasn't missing those files and had newer file dates. Kestrel also made a brief appearance at CFC to message me too haha. Played a big game of his scenario a while back and it was fun. More details here if people want to download the working copy:

As for the ToT Pluto scenario you guys spoke of that includes a Mars map I've since found that too. Haven't tested it yet but it looks pretty cool:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/pluto-rising-officially-released.570994/

And finally @Noire Leblanc don't forget to post your Mars mod here at CFC sometime. We just ran into each other on a C&C discord chat so I'll go pester you there too haha. I'm doing a Civ2 video series on cool mods and so if you end up releasing yours before I do my video I'll try to feature yours as well. I'm looking to cover many cool Civ2 mods in the video series so I've got a big thread gathering them all here. Whenever I find a cool scenario that's gone missing I go hunting and rescue it much like I did with Kestrel's mars level and get it hosted here at CFC for safe keeping:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ol-moo-doom-b5-strek-swars-sgate-homm.657278/

Top Bottom