G-III Bravo

Tone

Deity
Hall of Fame Staff
Although Able still has a few hours to run, we've decided to get the next gauntlet up and running now. After all those games building temples and colosseums, now's the time to get rid of all that aggression with a bit of smash and grab, or even smash and raze if you prefer. After all, who's going to be left standing to complain? ;)

The settings are

* Mapsize: Standard
* Difficulty: Demigod (C3C)/ Deity(vanilla/PtW)
* Condition: Conquest

Good luck to all participants. Games due in by 15th June 2008.

Well, there is only 4 on the table now. If Tone participates, he might beat his old time, but he can only have 3 entries. I can only put 1 more entry on, as well. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble placing with this one - I think you play PTW? Aztecs are a great choice for a game like this, as are the Iroquois.

I thought that you were a QM already, Lord Emsworth. That shows that I need to look at the tables more closely in future, perhaps.

It looks like we have a couple of sign ups already. :goodjob: My games are really old so I'm curious to see what I can do now. I just neeed to find some civ time. My last game was the one I wrote about in the Able thread.

ps typo correction:
If Tone participates, he might beat his old time, but he can only have 3 entries.
Two entries is the max on any table.

I didn't see a 3, must have been communists!

I'm guessing a BC finish will win this. I had a pretty good one going, until I found that Arabia was on it's own island :( I tried invading, but Arabia didn't like me very much and I didn't land with swords or anything and MW get ripped up pretty good in a stack by themselves by archers and warriors...

First try: 110 AD. Apparently, I haven't gotten any better at this.

Egypt. Dry, cold, old, lots o water. Opponents: India, Germany, Russia and Arabia. I tried to pick AI without early UU and ones that need at least two wonders to get a GA, and ones that take a while. Germany is nice, in that Bismark usually starts wars, too.

Founded 3 cities, found horses (I had several starts that didn't have horses nearby, so I abandonded them), built barracks. Got demands from germany early, so went to war, kicked off my GA in 1900 BC or so - to prepare for the GA, I didn't mine bgs.

Wiped out Germany reasonably quickly, while getting Arabia and Russia declaring. India was being quiet, so I had them attack Russia.

Got arabia reasonably fast, then did the thing that gets me much of the time - split my forces, sending forces against India and russia. Thus, both took longer than they should have - jumbo's caused a bit of a problem for me.

I did research up to monarchy, then shut it off - war chariots and cats vs. pikes works out better than you might think, but MDI and jumbos really do rip apart isolated chariots.

Was fun (first HOF game as Egypt), but it won't win.

May try Hittittes next - free settlers will help, and the 3 man chariot survives better when caught alone - in fact, may not need spears at all.

I think I need more cities, as well.

what does your sig mean, Marsden?
I know that it's a lyric from a Megadeth song but maybe Marsden should explain further as he'll probably be online later on.

Was fun (first HOF game as Egypt), but it won't win.
Who knows? It might.

I've wondered about Egypt but I was going to try with MWs first. I prefer Egypt with smaller maps really but you can really churn those chariots out so maybe I'll try them. Well, that is when I can find some civ time. It seems like a lifetime but it's probably been about two weeks since my last game.

The MW were what I used when I submitted - that was fun. I kept research on in that game, too, which gave me MDI armies vs. pikes, as opposed to war chariots vs. pikes

I submitted a 70BC victory with the Celts. Settings were 80%pangea, arid, cold, 5byo, no barbs, most aggressive. Rivals were Portugal, England, France, and Scandinavia. No agricultural civs and everybody with alphabet. Max aggression to hopefully foment early wars between the ai.

I moved off a cow at the start and had four cows within Entremont's radius. Research was set to alphabet at the min. to reduce the cost some when I met the ai and could trade. Builds were three warriors and then settler. I soon met Portugal to the west and England to the north and it appeared I may be on an island with them. After tromping through England's territory I met France and later Scadinavia. I traded for alphabet and then set research to writing at max science. I got a monopoly on this and then went straight for philosophy. Unfortunately, when I completed philosophy nobody had polytheism or CoL yet, so I took polytheism as my free tech. By now, I had six cities(the last ones I would build) a few barracks and a handful of GS's. I went ahead and kicked off a despot GA attacking Portugal, researching Monarchy during the GA.

By 1000BC, Portugal was eliminated and the GA was over with the revolt to Monarchy just started. I turned off research for the rest of the game. My army consisted of 18 GS's, 12 warriors, and 6 workers. I was strong against England and France and average against Scandinavia. England was the next target and I got an embassy with France for an MA against them. They obliged me by completing the SoZ nearby for an extra source of troops. There were a few flips in this war, but by 570BC, England was gone. Scandinavia never even met them.

France was up next and I again signed an MA vs. them with the Vikings. By now I had an army, the heroic epic, and a forbidden palace. I captured their iron on the first turn and only faced a few swords before fighting only archers and spearmen. There were a couple more flips during this war, but Paris completed the Great Library just before I captured it. Both France and Scandinavia still lacked CoL and currency. I made peace with France getting a distant town and eliminated them the next turn in 390BC.

I still had 9 turns of RoP with the Vikings, but they didn't want to wait, they dow'ed me in 370BC. By now I had two armies and over 50 GS's. My workers took some time to build roads to the front, but soon the Vikings were losing cities everywhere. They had a large number of swords, but the retreat ability of the GS's kept losses low. By 110AD, they were down to 2 cities and had just entered the MA. I made peace with them getting to the MA and signing an RoP, allowing me to move troops to the gates of their last two cities. The next turn I resumed the war and they were gone for a 70BC conquest victory.

Again, sorry for no pictures and good luck to all those trying the gauntlet.:)

Well, there is only 4 on the table now. If Tone participates, he might beat his old time, but he can only have 3 entries. I can only put 1 more entry on, as well. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble placing with this one - I think you play PTW? Aztecs are a great choice for a game like this, as are the Iroquois.

I am still Vanilla even. But that also means I'd get to deal with Deity civs. Aztecs certainly are a bit too lightweight for this, Iroquois sound ok for the UU, but wrt the traits (exp and rel) they don't look like the right choice at all. Maybe I'll try the good ol' Chinese.

what does your sig mean, Marsden?

If Marsden isn't going to reply to this, I'll do:

À tout le monde
To the whole world

À tout mes amis
To all my friends

Je vous aime
I love you [plural]

Je dois partir
I've got to leave

Actually, I have been thinking about a PTW run with the Iroquois. Why? Well, MW kick ass - and with just a few scouts, you can resource deny the AI - just deal with archers and spears, at least until you are at war with the poor AI.

Besides, a settler will be big on this level.

And don't sell the aztecs short - with 10 shield jags, you should be able to overwhelm 1 civ by 2500 BC or so, I would think,as long as they don't start with spears ;)

I rolled a few starts with the Iroquois. 80% cool arid 5byo no barbs and std aggession. My rivals were Germany, Spain, England and Portugal.

I managed a 330BC finish which I was pretty happy with for my first attempt. I made some careless errors, including losing an army to a flip but I also had my fair share of luck.

I started in what turned out to be a 6 cow capital. I could see three from the mapfinder image. I moved off one cow to discover a fourth and then two more showed up when I settled.

Quick contact with Germany, Portugal and Spain meant that I would not have far to go to get some action but it also meant that I would not be able to use those cows to best effect. The Germans headed straight for me and the Portuguese managed to get a boost when they built the Colossus in 2800BC. I was still thinking about expansion when the Germans tried to exert their authority:

I had horses connected but no MW built yet. I did have a reg warrior next to a German warrior/settler combo though and when they settled the town my reg warrior had a bit of luck and razed the new German town.

A bit later on my first MW just scraped a win vs a reg spear that was looking to pillage my horses and a despotic GA followed.

My next bit of luck came when I got my first MGL from a defending MW.

By then I was at war with the Portuguese as well, who had also made a demand. I ended up getting a second MGL in defending against one of their attacks plus two more from attacking MWs. I took PTs for cities and techs to end up at peace with the world in 850BC. That didn't last long though as I declared on Spain in 800BC and on England in 650BC.

England and Portugal both fell in 570BC, Spain's luck with super spears in towns boosted by the Great Wall finally ran out in 370BC and Germany was left with a single settler that same year.

The AI sent most of its free units towards my redlined MW, protected the new town with two spears and the other settler with just one spear. game over the next turn!

Attachments

• Ger dec.jpg
    Ger dec.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 285
  • GA.jpg
    GA.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 323
  • MGL defending.jpg
    MGL defending.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 306
  • The opposition 370BC.jpg
    The opposition 370BC.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Hiawatha of the Iroquois history minimap.gif
    Hiawatha of the Iroquois history minimap.gif
    209.3 KB · Views: 296
Playing as the Iroquois against England, Portugal, France, and America. I found it interesting that both AutomatedTeller and Tone chose the Germans – my top priorities in choosing rivals were no early unique units but also to make sure all the free demigod units were warriors instead of archers or spears. However, England did get a Golden Age by building the Colossus, so AutomatedTeller’s theory of choosing tribes that needed 2 wonders to start a GA was a good idea also. Other settings were no barbarians, 80% pangaea, normal, temperate, and 5 billion years old.

The start:

The jungles to my south contained dyes (for what they are worth in this type of game). Research was Writing at the maximum, but I needn’t have bothered – it took me 42 turns to complete, and I eventually decided against researching much further. I reached Writing as a monopoly, but I traded it around as soon as I got it for goodies like Warrior Code and The Wheel and also Bronze and Iron Working in case I wanted to disconnect someone’s iron. I could have been the first to Philosophy, but I stopped with 1 turn to go hoping an AI would complete Code of Laws or Polytheism for me, but the English reached Philosophy and chose Polytheism as their free tech. I finish Philosophy but then I did no more research the rest of the game except for a late game half-hearted attempt at Engineering once I :hammer: all the required Ancient Age techs from my rivals. I played the entire game in Despotism.

In 1525, I built embassies everywhere and told the AI to fight amongst themselves while I built my military. Here was the known world at that point:

From what I could tell, the Americans would probably be my last target since they were close, and there wasn’t anyone on the other side of them. England would likely be my first target, so I declared on France. I renegotiated peace with England tied to an alliance with France figuring that by the time they got around to breaking our deal, I would be ready for war. France had the Statue of Zeus, and Portugal looked ideal for long-term war happiness, so I also renegotiated peace with Portugal tied to an alliance with France. America didn’t even know France, and I don’t think they ever met.

I had 2 cities (Salamanca and Niagara Falls) capable of 10 spt, 2 others at about 5-6 spt, and 2 worker factories (Oil Springs :whipped: 2 curraghs to look for AI escape paths before building workers and later :whipped: a couple galleys).

In 1450, a lone English warrior entered my territory returning home from America. I told Liz to declare or get out without really thinking about it, and the "polite" Liz surprised me by declaring despite the fact that we had 17 turns left on our alliance/peace treaty, and I was paying her 34 gpt.

The chariots were upgraded to Mounted Warriors as quickly as I could afford to, and the carnage began. The Golden Age of the Iroquois started in 1375. During the Golden Age, 2 cities operated at 15 spt, and 2 others were at 10 spt. By the time the Golden Age ended, I had enough improvements and had added enough workers that my cities could essentially stay at those levels for the rest of the game.

England was eliminated in 975 BC.

At 1000 BC, I had:

11 cities
48 citizens
17 native workers
8 slaves
32 mounted warriors
2 curraghs

My military was already the world’s strongest, so it became a race to kill the others. France was ripped apart by RoP abuse in 710 BC. I kept Paris long enough to get 1 Ancient Cavalry, but after that I abandoned the towns with the highest flip risk.

Portugal had been beaten pretty badly by France, and both Portugal and France were eliminated in 630 BC.

Meanwhile, I had been moving my recent Mounted Warrior builds into America for a second RoP abuse. I started with the Great Wall city and razed/captured a total of 5 cities in 590 BC.

As you may be able to see, America had escaped off the pangaea so I thought I needed boats. They actually had several off-continent islands, but fortunately they were willing to give me all 3 of them in exchange for a promise of peace guaranteed to last about 3 minutes. I immediately abandoned all of them instead of dealing with potential flips.

Conquest victory was achieved in 390 BC. Despite all that fighting, I didn’t get a single Great Leader :sad:.

Top Bottom