G-Major 11

thank you jesusin! i might experiment with that when i'm in the mood. and i promise to not be mad at you if it doesn't seem to work for me :).

We have the same date! Congrats! The date of finish we have reached is not super but well done. I have no time to play another game and to correct my mistakes.

PS my score is 60292.

Congratulation to you too!:) I have tried to correct my mistakes but ended up making even more mistakes. It was a very good major.:goodjob:

PS: My score was 65385.

Wasn't there any hope?

If Vicky was your neighbour you are probably doomed in spite of all previous suggestions... that means that you chose wrong the order of civs when you configured your game.

Alas, she came through a neighbor into one of my legendary cities. IIRC probably 10-12 units in two stacks. Rushing troops in that city would have simply turned off my culture, really didn't even have time for a civic change. I figured she would pillage my towns anyhow. If I'd seen her at my border the turn before, maybe, but she caught me :sleep: .

I believe she was annoyed at the time. I was on a religion (to match a neighbor). I had long since gifted liberalism to everyone with the hopes they'd all go free religion, but she never did. She also was mad because I traded with an enemy.

Prolly should have built some units, but I decided to take the risk with the hope of shaving a couple of turns (definitely a sign of an HOF player :D ).

Prolly should have built some units, but I decided to take the risk with the hope of shaving a couple of turns (definitely a sign of an HOF player :D ).

so true! i have learned a ton of things from this forum. but y'all have gotten me into some trouble too, when i try out the tricks and they don't work out so great for me :lol:.

In all my games, I have noticed that Mehmed II have always gone to war against Victoria. Therefore, whenever I pick Victoria, I also pick Mehmed II. Even when they both have the same religion, they still can't get along.

I thought order only mattered in Oasis.

I think you are refering to the idea that putting yourself in team #2 makes you start in a different part of the map, for maps in which there is a prefixed starting-position-pattern.

I was talking about putting yourself in team #1, as usual, but then putting someone you like as a neighbour in the #2, #4 and last because there is a bigger probability they will be your neigbours there than in other team numbers.

This gauntlet has now concluded. AAA took first place with a 1382 AD finish. Both Moonsinger and Gosha190 tied with a 1430 AD finish, though Moonsinger claimed second place due to points.

Congrats all, and especially for all the good posting going on here :goodjob:

Congratulations AAA. I really enjoyed this gauntlet and I learned a lot of lessons from my 15 failed attempts. The advice here was great for refining each successive game until one was successful.

Congratulations to AAA!
His record is one update old, so everybody was able to copy his strategy.
But even with some great competitors, nobody was able to beat him!

Congratulations to AAA!
His record is one update old, so everybody was able to copy his strategy.
But even with some great competitors, nobody was able to beat him!

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Outstanding game... :goodjob:

I figured, I'm last in power, everyone except me and Brennus have Mech Inf., and Gandhi is #1 in score and power, so I figure I'm safe there.

ERRRR...WRONG ANSWER!

3 turns after signing the DP, Washington declares war on Gandhi, causing me to declare war on Washington and Brennus...and me being so far behind in tech and with little cash, can't convince my friend Vicky to close her borders to Washington. So with 8 turns left of the game, I find Navy Seals, Artillery, and Tanks invading me from the north...I lost two cities to American Raiding parties, and killed a single Artillery. Brennus sent a single pillaging infantry into my lands...and Washington had a tank and Seal 2 spaces away from Heliopolis(already legendary). Thebes goes legendary. I'm pretty sure if a legendary city gets razed, I don't get to count it toward my 3 legendary cities...So I'm hoping...I sacrifice a leftover missionary to draw them away...I sacrifice a worker the next turn...and finally washington is willing to talk peace!!...but he wants Elephantine...my last legendary city. Not a chance! I see that he's willing to take Canterbury...I click, hope that he's willing to make peace for that alone, and he accepts!

Three turns later, I win a cultural victory! I built 7 or 8 cities, flipped 5 English cities. I flipped a Celtic city the same turn I won the cultural victory lol. Not a great time, perhaps I'll make it better during the next major, I just hope it isn't a cultural victory again, because I'm tired of them lol

I figured I'd wait until after the gauntlet, so as not to threadjack, but I know what you're talking about. Back in COTM11 I was going for a 20k and was cruising towards my victory. At this point Brennus was a runaway AI and had been warring with quite a few civs, but I wasn't worried, as the game was almost over. Twelve turns prior to reaching 20k, he dow's on me. A huge stack of modern armorn crosses into my borders and I know I'm screwed. It's obvious, I can't win this war. I threw everything at him and he just kept coming. Within a few turns I had lost the important resources. As I've already said, I was so screwed! My empire was set up in a kind of U shape, with the right leg a little shorter. My 20k city was on the bottom right of the U and Brennus hit me at the top left of the U.

I started throwing everything I could at him and had every city (other than my 20k city) building nothing but military. I started spreading my units out ahead of Brennus in order to slow him down, as I just needed to drag this war out until I hit 20k. By the time I was a few turns short of my victory, I knew I was going to make it. Even though I was throwing spearmen at him (that was my most advanced unit I could build, if I remember correctly), I was still able to slow him down. I won, but in the process I lost around 50% of my empire. Another ten turns or so and I would have been destroyed. But hey, according to Civ3, a 20k city makes you immortal!

BTW, of all my games I'd say COTM11 was one of my most exciting. Those last twelve turns had me on the edge of my seat. I can still remember that game.

Top Bottom