G-Major 22

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Continents
  • Speed: Normal
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.002, 2.13.002 or 3.13.001
  • Date: 26th February to 26th March 2008
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

It will be much like SGOTM-2 and SGOTM-6 - lightbulb Astro, kill em all. Might be faster with Portugal as it has unit-carrying Caravels. The second option is Nederlands with faster&stronger&spacier galleons. The third is Vikings which allow faster seatravel and faster coastal attacks.

It will be much like SGOTM-2 and SGOTM-6 - lightbulb Astro, kill em all. Might be faster with Portugal as it has unit-carrying Caravels. The second option is Nederlands with faster&stronger&spacier galleons. The third is Vikings which allow faster seatravel and faster coastal attacks.
I agree on this, even if it's a bit spoiling :p ... so we can know why CRC stopped play in 845 AD.
What i cannot imagine is how you can have done this while fighting 3 AIs, and so early.
Just to be safe i'll play the minor this time.

It ain't a spoiler, btw ;)

there is another way :D : http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?show=map&dsply=0&entryID=9498
and as a result:
http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/gauntlet.php?show=minor&gauntlet=80&submit=Go

good luck!

Yo bloody cheetah! :D

Is somebody going to fiddle with MF to find the degenerate continents map? I remember that gauntlet as you blew the competition away Gosha :lol:

I do'nt think Portugal will be any faster than the astro GS bulb. Faster and spacier galleons is probably better (Netherlands) to reach the other continent faster. I need to go look up the techs to avoid to do the astro GS bulb now :D Let's go see the details of that CRC game...

Better check out CFR SGOTM-2, it's all by the notes there.

To be fair, why not introduce an additional rule: All civs must not start on the same continent.

It is not correct definition. South and North America, Europe + Asia + Africa are different continents but they are connected without astro ;)

Hence, additional rule must sounds as "at least one opponent must be reachable only through astro" or "at least one opponent must start in another continent like Australia" :)

the reachable only through astro would ban portugal :D
though it would make the game fairer if you have to invade at least one civ from the sea so i'm in favour.
i hate having to regenerate

yes! portugal will be next victim after HC, who banned forever :lol:

I know what you mean. This type of discrimination has to stop.

Hi all- This is my first post to the forums. IMHO- if we start putting restrictions on what maps are and aren't allowed we might as well just change the format of the gauntlet and have everybody play on the same map. This game is and always has been very map dependent; half of the game is choosing a good starting position. If we rule out all Civs starting on the same continent, why not also rule out a 6-1 split, as that would be the next best option? Then we can rule out Portugal because of their Caravels, and then Netherlands because of their Galleons, and so on and so on, and where (like this sentence) does it end? That said, I don`t really care that much one way or the other what folks decide, but I think a decision has to be made soon. My plan was to play through once on a split continents map to get a feel for the settings and then go hunting for a map with everybody on the same continent. I don`t mind if that`s ruled out, but if I spend half a day looking for one and start on it, I will not be a happy camper if it is later disallowed.

I play Civ because it's good brain exercise, and I play here because people are generally more interested in helping each other outwit the AI than they are in beating each other to the best score. In the three months that I've been playing here I have become an infinitely better player, due in large part to posts made here in the forums. Many thanks, especially to The Hawk, Moonsinger and Lexad. (Incidentally, my wife hates you all.)

One final note, Moonsinger- your wolf was way cooler than the alien duck hatchling, whatever it is.

Welcome to HoF, and no, there was always a restriction on maptype in Gauntlets, we do not "start" them in this one.

Yes, I know that there has always been a restriction on map "type", but what's being suggested is a restriction on acceptable parameters within that type- ie- if you get a continents map with everybody on the same continent, start over.

Well, I find it rather meaningful - if you choose continents map setting, you should be in for a long run, otherwise everybody who has time will just regenarate until they find everyone home. Therefore the competition will turn to regeneration fest, and one might as well start with Terra or Pangea to save time. I won't want "ass-hours beat class" Major.

I see your point, which is why I suggested we might want to change the format of the gauntlet and have everybody play on the same map. This would eliminate the "ass-hours", as you put it, all together. I don't, however, agree that the continents map setting means you "should" have any particular type of game. Sometimes you start on a continent by yourself and sometimes you start on a continent with everybody else and sometimes you start with gold and sometimes you start with corn, and deciding which start is best is part of the game. Like I said, I don`t mind ruling out everybody on the same continent, if that`s what the majority of players want. I would just like to see a decision made on this one way or the other soon, because if it's not ruled out then it's clearly the best way to go. Sometimes class beats ass and sometimes ass beats class, but nothing beats a classy ass. (Numerous websites have been designed based on this concept.)

I've never seen (except for Gosha's game) a degenerate continents map. Honestly it's unlikely that somebody will find another one any time soon so I think it's a moot point.

Also, the proposed restriction on degenerate continents isn't a formal rule. It's more of a gentlemen's (excuse the sexist phrase Moonsinger) agreement to not abuse it for this gauntlet. If somebody doesn't want to play with that restriction, that's their own prerogative. I wouldn't like to see everybody play a gauntlet using the same map though. That's what XOTM is for.

I promise that if I get a degenerate continent map, I will submit it after the end of the gauntlet :D

Top Bottom