G-Major 43

As Ianw1610 pointed out, huts are one of the most important.

Looking at Ian's game, the strategy of taking metal-casting from the Oracle was actually a lot better than I thought.

as Ianw1610 pointed out, you can store chops while building research

with Paper to enable precise strikes in ideally, as Ianw1610 mentioned,

Do I get paid royalties for all those name-checks, Misotu?!! ;):mischief:

In my fastest game, I popped no useful technologies from goody huts. That could have saved a few turns and may have been the difference between 1st place ond 2nd place.:cry: Also, in none of my games did I ever think to build a science academy in the capital. My cottaged flood-plains were a pre-meditated strategy... I was searching Mapfinder for a Plains Hill start, with 2 gold, 3 flood-plains, a food resource, and forests... not that I was asking for much!!:rolleyes:

One thing about strategy that I know I haven't yet mentioned is that I worked out how to not only choose my opponents, but choose precisely who would be on my continent and who would be on the other continent...

...On a 2-continent Hemispheres map, from the Custom Game screen, the human player is Team 1, the four AIs on the same starting continent are Teams 2, 4, 7 and 9, and the four AIs on the other continent are teams 3, 5, 6 & 8. This knowledge was very helpful, as I could deliberately load my continent with fast techers, and load the other continent with leaders with a diplomatic bonus.

Well, I was thinking about giving the Cultural Deity Major a go. I don't have a deity Gauntlet for EQM

I might try that one as well - I have an Immortal Gauntlet submission but nothing for Deity, and prefer my chances on that Gauntlet to any future Deity Gauntlet which may involve Conquest, Domination, Time, etc......

Do I get paid royalties for all those name-checks, Misotu?!! ;):mischief:

Actually, no. I'm a mean bugger :)

I just think it's courteous to acknowledge the poster who mentions an idea first, that's all. It did get a bit out of hand this morning though ... :lol:

One thing about strategy that I know I haven't yet mentioned is that I worked out how to not only choose my opponents, but choose precisely who would be on my continent and who would be on the other continent...

...On a 2-continent Hemispheres map, from the Custom Game screen, the human player is Team 1, the four AIs on the same starting continent are Teams 2, 4, 7 and 9, and the four AIs on the other continent are teams 3, 5, 6 & 8. This knowledge was very helpful, as I could deliberately load my continent with fast techers, and load the other continent with leaders with a diplomatic bonus.

This is interesting ... Did you find that tip somewhere, or did you literally sit down and experiment?

I might try that one as well - I have an Immortal Gauntlet submission but nothing for Deity, and prefer my chances on that Gauntlet to any future Deity Gauntlet which may involve Conquest, Domination, Time, etc......

Exactly my thought ...

I had a look at Bindy's current challenge but have to say I don't think I can face the caravel/missionary thing again for a while :rolleyes:

This is interesting ... Did you find that tip somewhere, or did you literally sit down and experiment?

I usually list my opponents in Alphabetical order on the Custom Game screen. One time on this game, I ran Mapfinder and played 5 saves generated from the same settings... I noticed that the same 4 opponents were on my continent in all 5 games, and from their alphabetical positions, I worked out that these were opponents 2, 4, 7 and 9, from the Custom Game input screen.

Then I played again, deliberately putting the strong tech opponents into slots 2, 4, 7 and 9, with the diplo bonus opponents going into slots 3, 5, 6 and 8 - and, sure enough, I got exactly who I wanted on my continent.

I'm not sure if this is true for all games with 2 land masses / continents, or if it is only true for Hemispheres...

ianw1610 said:
AHA!!! <klaxons sounding>
I knew it! But I was just too darned lazy (or stupid) to check this out.
I actually said to ...erm, a certain Geezer team-mate :mischief:... that I noticed the same set of civs were coming up on my continent from any game that I chose from the same run of MapFinder.
Now, if I'd known this, I wonder how many annoying failures I could have avoided where no-one on my continent founded a religion - or all of them did :crazyeye:.

Top Bottom