G-Minor 19

I've been trying this on vanilla, but I'm wondering if using vassals would make it easier.

In order to use vassals, don't you we have to research a certain technology?

I have tried twice (with Incas in Warlords). One false start, where I quicky learned you really need to choose your opponents, and choose them without the protective trait, if you want to go for the early Quecha rush.

My second try, I came frustratingly close to winning. I sort of lucked out finding a starting location for my capital after a couple turns of exploring -- a plains hill with marble, which produces three shields when you place your capital on it, with another plains hill with trees within the City boundaries. So I was producing 6 shields a turn and cranking Quechas out (my capital did not grow past three the whole game). My capital was close to three other civ capitals, all eliminated with ease (since they were all close, I kept those cities, so I had four total, one which ended up yielding a source of iron). After taking them out, I took the time to build Stonehenge in my capital, which helped all my cities' culture grow (and which was my sole use of Huyana's industrial trait).

The others three civs were much farther away. For two of them, I was able to prevent them from getting horses or metals, and took them out with a fair amount of effort. (By this point, I was using chariots and then horse archers, as well as swordsmen and axeman, together with the ever useful Quechas.) I raised all but one of those cities (keeping one to have a remote "home base" to work from -- no units supply costs for units stationed in the city.)

Bismark was the last civ, and I came close to taking him out. However, my momentum faltered, and my unit costs, together with civil unrest/war wariness back home (probably exacerbated by my excessive use of slavery to rush units and keep population down) brought my economy to a screeching halt and fatally limited the number of units I could support. Also, as it turns out, Bismark had a remote city on a separate island I could not reach, where he was apparently getting a source of iron I could not take out. He had caravels, which prevented me from getting galleys/triremes there to even explore (and it was sooo far away it would take forever to reach by galley anyway).

Finally, I learned that I really need to stop being stubborn and turn off those !@#$ barbarians for this type of game. With the vast expanses of un-settled open terrain left open by my razing of cities, they really started to become much more than a nuisance, particularly at the end when they came at me with longbowmen and I did not have Fuedalism (if I had that, I think I might have beaten Bismark down enough to convince him to become my vassal, so I tried to reach it, but could not in time). If not for the units and time I lost to barbarians, I think I might well have won this game.

(By comparison, the barbarians proved a benefit in the G-Major/space race game, as they helpfully built a number of useful cities with some improvements for me to conquer in the "americas" on the terra map, so I did not have to build and send over as many settlers to take over that continent and was able to start out with cities which were already partially developed.)

At the end, my efforts did not prevent Bismark from shooting far far ahead of the research curve -- my horse archers (with a shock promotion) and swordsmen (and catapults), in sufficient volume, were barely able to take out his macemen and longbowmen and even his pikemen, but I finally gave up when I saw those musketmen. Arggh!

I will try again at some point soon, but I really need to do other things with my time.

Yes, I am beginning to think that I should turn off barbarians for this one. I started off with my standard normal barbarian setting. I wasn't too concerned because I was going for a military strategy anyway so no issues with being undefended, plus hacking loads of archers with my Immortals would provide valuable experience. However, barbarians have proven to be a fatal distraction so far, especially when they turn up before I have hooked up horses.

My latest attempt is going OK. No horses though which for Ramesses is not good. But I have Napoleon's France down to 1 city and just about to get construction when the peace treaty ends. But that's still only 1 out of the remaining 6 about to be eliminated. But it's my best attempt at Monarch yet. We'll see. I've always got plan B for the space race to get the major LOL.

Just popped a great engineer from the Oracle/Metal Casting/Forge gambit (more like dead cert with an industrious leader on epic speed) but Mao built the pyramids already, and I haven't researched literature so no Great Library. Went for the parthenon instead. I have a double holy city (hindu/confucian) so I'll probably be wanting a prophet next.

Okay, finished. Conquest at 320 AD with the Incas. Won't set any records here, but it is probably my personal earliest victory. Would have been earlier, if not for some bone-headed moves on my part and some really bad luck with one of the battles (although I had some good luck elsewhere, so can't really complain!). This time, I took my army of Quechas out to take out a couple of the more distant civs first, while terrorizing closer civs with some other Quechas to keep them from getting any dangerous resources until I could return for them. This kept my final battles closer to home, which better allowed me to control unit supply costs and keep my momentum going at a time my economy would otherwise start crashing. Turning off the barbs also made all the difference.

From what I learned, I may have to try this one more time to see if I can get any earlier!

It's hard to see how you can beat the Incas for an early victory (although both Persians and Romans are formidable).

Now I really need to go out and get some exercise!

I couldn't get a conquest victory with my game playing as Hannibal. I wasn't behind tech but when the enemy has cavalry, you have to left too many defenders behind. I had one city razed. :( I thought about quiting the game, but it would be a shame after so many hours. I knew I could win the game. I decided to go for diplo because I wanted to finish it fast. I won around 1800. It's a valid HoF game anyway. I'll submit it.

I started another game playing as Hatshepsut. I could manage a chariot rush and killed Washington around 700 BC. Now it's 1124 AD and I have two vassals. I put down three AI's! In the game with Hannibal I had around this time only one AI down. I'm getting better. :)

I think I will persevere with Cyrus. I can't bring myself to use Huayna after all those 'Cheesey!" calls in that other thread. For my 5th attempt I will use Cyrus with no barbarians and random opponents.

Horses within range of my capital would be nice.......

I think I will persevere with Cyrus. I can't bring myself to use Huayna after all those 'Cheesey!" calls in that other thread. For my 5th attempt I will use Cyrus with no barbarians and random opponents.

Horses within range of my capital would be nice.......

Cyrus is superb, all you need is take out every1's bronze and iron. AI will never research up to construction and feudalism....

I posted a 1280AD finish with Julius, which at the moment is the slowest of 6 entries. Would have been earlier but Vic had a city on a small island that took me a little while to get too.

Just to clarify, the victory type for this gauntlet is conquest and having them as a vassal means he/she hasn't been conquered!

As said before, vassalizing all your enemies will give you a conquest victory...mainly because it is an unwilling partner, and can only break free if they reach a reasonable level of power in the world again, unlikely in a conquest oriented game(I've never had an AI break free of me before, however, I enjoy making enemy AIs lose their vassals, as I usually pick them up immediately:evil:)

In order to use vassals, don't you we have to research a certain technology?

You do have to research Feudalism to enable vassals...it is a fairly expensive tech for as quick a conquest as some people are likely to get, but it shouldn't be too hard to slingshot for it using the Oracle, if you go for Monarchy quickly and are able to distract the AI from building the Oracle...I can do the Feudalism slingshot on prince fairly easily on Terra maps, so I am certain some of the players here can do so...I may try to do it. Otherwise, I'll make an attempt with Rome tonight.

Hi, conquestors!
I'v finished my first attempt and submitted it. hm... I'm wondered:
my game is accepted so there was no reasons to decline it.
but I do not see my game in G-Minor 19 table... Help! Please!

PS As it seems to me, current minor must be played very fast:
- before 1000BC IAC.
- it is only one way to do this: play by Inca (i'v played in warlords as I haven't played vanilla for a long time)

PSPS oh... I'v played in 2.08.003 mode... I forgot to switch mode after SGOTM4 game.... oops

No chance for a 1000BC game for me. I'm thinking of switching to a space race to see if I can get a major under my belt... still a bit undecided. I've only eliminated France and beaten up Ragnar a bit by 625AD. Still going OK though, 3rd in score but Beuraucracy in 2 turns and machinery about 10 turns after that I reckon. It'll probably all go horribly wrong though. Either way, I'm not going to win any prizes but I will be pleased if I manage to get my first Monarch win anyway (fingers and toes crossed).

My first attempt had Augustus(Creative, yay!) and raging barbs...they proved more distracting to me than the to AI. I had stone nearby, but lost a settler trying to get it...so I chopped out the Great Wall, by which point the barbs had dried up...I then had 1 city in 700BC, so I quickly whipped out two settlers, got iron hooked up, and proceeded to turn against my Hindu brothers Napoleon and Asoka. I then joined the ranks of the Buddhist Izzy after getting Buddhism in a french city. At 900AD, I'm third to last in tech, but I've vassalized Napoleon, taken all of Asoka's mainland cities, and could have turned on either Shaka or Izzy...but everyone now has Longbows(Praetorians aren't as great against longbows as against archers), and I'm never gonna be able to conquer everyone before Mansa and Mao reach the new world...so I quit.

I'll try normal barbs if I get another shot, and I'll either go Rome again or try for Persia.

- do you like bloody games?
If yes - choose as much as possible! And pray! :devil:

- if you want the fastest finish - choose 6 opponents... and pray too ;)

The only thing is, with more opponents there is less room for the AI to expand, so instead of 6 strong-ish AIs there are 10 AIs with 2 good cities tops.

I can't seem to get the Quechua rush to work with Warlords 2.08. It's more difficult to take cities with the patch.

Would a civ with a faster moving UU be better because there's so much ground to cover? Maybe Cyrus or Hatty? Egypts chariots can do well if you make enough of them. Immortals are good too. There's also Shaka, Hannibal and Gengis Khan for fast moving UUs. Sometimes the slow but steady approach of the Romans and Koreans can work just as well.

edit: I just reviewed the log for the best time for standard/monarch. That's going to be tough to beat. They won several battles not in their favor. It's like they just played game after game until they got extremely lucky with one.

Not a great date but at one point I thought it a lost cause.

Eealier I found this island with a single galley. I didn't think I could attack without amphibious promotion but I tried it anyway. And it worked. :eek: I lost the battle but I came back later with 3 galleys and was able to take the city/island. :crazyeye:

It should also be noted that I had to go offshore to finish off 4 of the 6 civs. Sheesh! :(

Okay, so far so good... I reached a Conquest -Victory and now I´d like to submit the game.. How do I do that? I tried to register 2 days ago but I am still waiting for the email with the password I need to log in. Did I do anything wrong or what or how or why or when or...???

Top Bottom