G-Minor 34

My 1926 game took me 6 hours, but I play slowly.

I just regenerated until I had oil available and coal too, I moved the explorers and workers to scout around and if I didn't see both, I restarted.

I think the earlier times than mine are due to taking on multiple civs at once, I bottled that strategy in my game. but could have done it easily.

I played as Washington (charismatic in warlords) for more experienced tanks. I didn't face many tanks, so Germany is overrated although that was my first instinct. All the pros in the deity version are going for Asoka and (gasp) serfdom at the beginning to get the oil, mine and rails going ASAP.

EDIT: India gets +2 happy from free jails (mausoleums) in their cities as well.

My 1926 game took me 6 hours, but I play slowly.

I just regenerated until I had oil available and coal too, I moved the explorers and workers to scout around and if I didn't see both, I restarted.

I think the earlier times than mine are due to taking on multiple civs at once, I bottled that strategy in my game. but could have done it easily.

I played as Washington (charismatic in warlords) for more experienced tanks. I didn't face many tanks, so Germany is overrated although that was my first instinct. All the pros in the deity version are going for Asoka and (gasp) serfdom at the beginning to get the oil, mine and rails going ASAP.

EDIT: India gets +2 happy from free jails (mausoleums) in their cities as well.

I see. The difference is probably that I'm playing vanilla. Still, 2 hours? I have to figure out how you do that. Even if I set my cities to build research or cash, not sure I could do that. And, I sure wouldn't have enough military.

No vassals in vanilla either, that would make the game longer.
If I play the deity version I'm going to go Asoka, I can go organised religion/serfdom at the beginning (get factories mines and well up quickly, can build missionaries since monasteries are already obsolete), then switch to theocracy I think. No anarchy, yay.

EDIT: 2 hours is too quick for me as well. I don't even stack my units, I move them all by hand and I check all my cities every turn too.

Key points for me are:
* you do not need to research anything, so research=0% first turn, leading to culture for hapiness (partly) and gold for troops
* Civics switch on turn 0 : Rep+Buro+Serfdom+Merc+OR
* Factory+Coal+Barracks is the only infra needed, and chop them if doable
* get a start with Coal in the BFC of the first city + Oil around (if not restart on turn 0). Coal is key to get RR asap.
* I went with 6 missionaries before second civic switch, but I am clueless on wether it helped or not.
* Second civic switch for Nat/Vas/Em/Env/Theo when missionaries are done
* Build Pentagon with the GE generated by Merc...

Fast workers rule the RR of the earth, even better than the jails...

And you definitely need to take several AI at a time. I usually pick the one with the nicest land around, keeping 1~2 city very early. Then go for the furthest, keeping as much movement as I can, and razing everything. Tank in 1 turn.

I went with GG used for Medic3 Artillery, but they are ~useless. I know use them for military instructions: CR3 tank every turn, in several cities, yummy.

Oh and capitulation do help, sometimes, to avoid chasing AI who resettles... So check if they agree on talking.

I still need to improve my war time use of workers: I probably improve to much my starting cities... As soon as you have more than 84 hpt, what's the point :D

Interesting....

I at least think Bombers, Fighters and SAM Infantry are very useful. But, maybe if you rush out panzers fast, and don't worry about tech builds like libraries, etc, you could get other civs down before they get their own air force. Sure you could counteract happiness with the culture slider. But, you'd still need to fend off pollution effects with hospitals, etc.

I just have always loved Bombers to help me not even lose any attackers when taking down cities. I guess using artillery only would help, and you could just replace lost tanks, instead, on a constant basis.

Hmm...perhaps another try. But, I still am not sure about 2 hours. Boy, if I could do that, I'd sure play a lot more Civ;)

this gauntlet is super short. My most recent run was under an hour (54 minutes). You don't want to bother teching flight or radio. Just build tanks out of the game and go to town on the AI.

It's not THAT short for some us. It took me about 8 hours all up with allthose troop movements. I had 84 tanks, 40 modern armour, 24 mech infantry, 14 gunships and 9 stealth bombers by the end. It took forever to move them around the place.

:eek: That's a lot of troops... You shouldn't need that many to get good odds against the AI. In the early stages, you can take out an entire civ with 5 (lucky) to 10 (unlucky) tanks.

What else am I going to build in all those cities? Theatres?

In hindsight, I had too many gunships because I didn't see many tanks coming back at me.

What else am I going to build in all those cities? Theatres?

Mmmmm, let me se... Tanks ? :D
I think a part from Factories, plants and barracks (maybe pentagon, maybe WestPoint if you can do it early, my guess is that you can't), anything else should be tanks.

Basically, Hapiness is provided by civics/culture rate/ressources, Health by civics/ressources and money by AI/commerce. You don't need science at all.

Hey shyuhe,
I got bumped to 3rd with a 1780 finish. What's you date?

I've been steadily improving in preparation for the major and I'm curious how fast this game can be completed.

I was down to 9th with 1944. Played it again with a 1908 ending. It hasn't been accepted yet so don't know where I stand.

I'm pretty sure I could win in the 19th century if I payed more attention but how you guys manage 18th century wins is beyond me.

1750!? I'm playing the major at the moment and could only eliminate 1 civ by 1770!

EDIT: I don't see how these 1760's scores posted are doable.

Hm. Nobody owned up to moving me down to #2 :sniper:

Well I've moved whoever it was down to #2 :nya:
That's getting crazy, less than 32 turns for a standard conquest?

And yes, it was me again who moved you down with a 1760 high score, just like in the major ;)
Oh well, one weekend still to practice, second place in both gauntlets feels a little...unsatisfying :p

:lol: I thought it might be score based. I kept all of my cities this time to get a better score. I still need to re-do the major but I'll save that for this weekend since it's open for another 2 weeks.

PS. I posted 1755. If the RNG had been better on the last turn, it would have been 1750. I don't know if under 1750 is realistic but I may try...

Top Bottom