G-Minor 35

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

[/size]​
Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Settler
  • Starting Era: Any
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Fractal
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: England
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.002, 2.13.002 or 3.13.001
  • Date: 11th to 25th February 2008

Must not play as Inca.

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Shouldn't take long this one then!

Need to regen the map if you don't have a big enough land mass for domination though... could be a bit frustrating. Better than the time victory major!

I don't think redcoats will get a look in... warrior rush the first few AI perhaps, chariots and axes for the rest.

EDIT: Must play as England, must not play as Inca... Hmm, okay! I need an epic win for my QM slot anyway.

EDIT2: Is there going to be a new major?

EDIT3: I'm thinking an archer rush with Churchill might be on the cards as well.

Looks fun. Pity I already have England in my LoN quest, I wish I could use another odd civ for this one. Max opps and low sea level can help avoid too many regens, but ideally high seas and a large enough landmass would be better, I guess.

A silly question: if one plays this on BTS will it still count towards vanilla/warlords QM/EQM, as England is an "old" civ?

I'll probably take one or two runs at this for fun. Unfortunately settler gauntlets involve lots of regenerating to see who can pop the most settlers :( England doesn't start with a scout so I doubt I'll be settling my capital for a few turns. Heck I may move next to a neighbor and warrior rush him instead.

Come to think about it... is there any need to research anything other than bronze working and CoL?

Playing warlords, I'm going to try a Churchill archer rush first, tech archery, get feudalism from the Oracle. A resourceless rush! Should be a laugh anyway. I have a Liz game in my HOF (that was settler level too, ha ha, the space race duel map gauntlet), but since it was Duel it doesn't count for EQM.

Afterwards I might start an industrial game and win with redcoats as well ;)

Chariots will take care of the settler AI. It's a standard sized map so at most you need to kill half the AI. I guess that means you need AH (wheel is free) on top of BW/CoL. I wonder if you can afford to keep every city you conquer...

@ harbourboy, i think probably some people will have won before you have actually started if you don't start in the ancient era

@conquistador63; mine haven't so I don't think so

No, its on date.
There was a problem with this on the last minor as well, when the bts start date was after the winning date

No, its on date.
There was a problem with this on the last minor as well, when the bts start date was after the winning date

Thanks for that info, that makes my "best looking from behind" position more acceptable to me.

First attempt failed when I underestimated the number of settlers required to get the domination.

Churchill's longbows batter everything, but they move too slowly. I think a mounted rush is the way to go here.

No luck from huts, got 1 tech, mysticism, and that was it. So it could have been much better. Wasn't looking at a BC win anyway which I think is going to be required to be competitive.

I think researching hunting, build a scout, and kill all the AI scouts might be the way to go.

EDIT: Construction seems important, so you can cross rivers with roads. Shame we will never tech to engineering!

EDIT2: Also wondering who will be better, Churchill or Victoria. Churchill for less experience required for promos (you get alot of xp in this game) or Victoria for +100% great general emergence (I didn't even make a medic in my last game (Churchill), 2 or 3 longbows were enough to take each and every city, I got one GG which I attached to a longbow, probably have been better splitting the +20xp between a few units though). I can't see Liz being much use, you haven't got time to build cottages (workers spent all their time building roads for me), and I can't see philosophical being useful unless you go caste system ASAP. You can tech to CoL pretty quick though. You can get anything you like from the Oracle... might try horseback riding next game.

When I did the feudalism slingshot from the Oracle (had a bottleneck building the oracle, monarchy was done a while beforehand), I switched to vassalage and serfdom straight away. When I had enough stolen workers in a stack to road any tile in 1 turn, I switched to slavery and started whipping longbows. Could have done with more workers though, to build roads in more directions towards more AI at the same time. Horsies might make roads less important.

EDIT3: You can afford to keep all the AI cities no problem, as long as you take them fairly regularly, the money from capturing them keeps you going. When you decide to turn off tech and spam settlers, you can drop to 0% science anyway.

Ok, just to get the ball running I submitted a game. Warlords, Vicky, 925BC. I'm pretty sure this date can be beaten by a millenium but now I'm off to play some GOTM. :D

What is the point of starting era: any then? Is it not done on number of turns?

if starting era is allowed outside of ancient, shouldnt # of turns be the factor, not date? Seems that it would allow for much more competition under this open format, rather than just forcing an ancient start like is typical.

I expect it is so that people who have already won two QM games with England can do the gauntlet anyway and knock of one of the Rock of Ages boxes for EQM. Why anyone would want to do that for settler level is beyond me though!

I think number of turns would be fairer/better, it would also remove the unbalancing effect from the last minor/current major where BtS is significantly worse (in favt, stating date in BtS is AFTER the winning games).

I expect the whole HOF system would need changing though in that case...

Top Bottom