G-Minor 35

What?! How come stuff like that never happens in my version of the game? I want my money back!

I've done it routinely in 4 victories all between 685bc and 535bc. The AI needs to be closeby. Watch to see which direction the AI unit comes from if he finds you first. You get a feel for when you need to stop the DOW with only a single warrior after a while.

I haven't submitted any of mine yet because I want to get a pre 1000BC game. I've had bad GH results and poor copper/horse location.

@Thrallia: I have never played in settler mode (I think my first game was Noble).. but are you saying that you eliminated 3 AI by just walking into their undefended cities? Also did you not leave anyone behind to protect while you looked for another city to take?

yep. In BtS, the AI is 'smarter' in that it will explore with its original warrior much like a human will. On settler, that means they AIs will have no defense at all until they build another one, which takes around 20-25 turns.

I didn't leave anyone behind, once you take their capital, you aren't at war anymore :)

I did lose some cities a couple times, but for some reason, the AI keeps exploring after taking the city...I actually sat a warrior next to a city, watched the AI take it, then leave to keep exploring, so I took it again.

What?! How come stuff like that never happens in my version of the game? I want my money back!

Harbourboy, try playing with 10 opponents on BtS. The instant you see a neighbor's borders(if it is before turn 20), declare war, and walk right in. :)

I built Stonehenge for that as well...hammers aren't as important in BtS, as the AI will explore with their original warriors :evil: So in my submitted game, I had no city razing turned on, and took out 3 AI with my original exploring warrior.

Thus, I had 4 capitals before 25 turns were up, and had plenty of places taht could build warriors/workers along with using Stonehenge in one city.

Doh, in my first attempt i razed 4 capitols and took 1. NCR would have made my game in the BC for sure. I'll have to attempt that later.

In all 3 of my attempts i have gotten lucky enough to pop a settler from a settler popping huts. This combined with BTS ai has allowed me to get ~~45% of the landmass all 3 times, but the mass was too small for domination. I also traded techs in a few of the games idiodicly, which hurt my endgame.

I've never even bothered researching alphabet. After the basic worker techs and BW, I research up to CoL, and since I settle my settlers as I build them, I tend to finish researching CoL about 15-30 turns before I finish up my continent.

I've played mine in Warlords and have seen the AI take 1 of my cities and walk out of it the next turn, but this might explain why I'm hitting some AI with warrior in their city sooner than I expected.

Does the number of turn (year) difference for BTS make it advantageous to play that version over Warlords? BTS gives 140 turns with 25 year date change while Van/WL gives only 100 turns with a 30 year date change.

no clue, I just know that BtS is my version of choice to play now, so except when I have to, I'll be playing everything in BtS :)

because you don't try ?
It works perfectly with warlords too.
I used my initial warrior to get isabella's holy city, then washington, then the ottoman capital.
India and vinkings had a warrior defending their capital, which I knew because I had open borders. those got chariot rushed (I even lost a chariot, bad luck).

4 Warriors vs. 1 defending Warrior also works nicely, and it's available long before Chariots. You can kill 2-3 civs this way.

BtS has a definite advantage in the # of turns, though. 1900BC is turn 70 in Vanilla/Warlords, but turn 84 in BtS.

Somebody posted a graph comparing the turns for epic and marathon :) I noticed that BTS allows more turns in the early game so I chose BTS :p

I will keep trying to find another game where I essentially have a pangea, but I won't try too hard...my best time is still 875BC, because I was able to take 8 AI capitals, and pretty much use them as settler builders after 2000BC.

I have won once more since then(only one where I had enough land possible to bother) at 650BC, and I only had 5 opponents on my continent. With no city razing, the more AI you have on your continent, the faster you should be able to win...especially if you leave the distant ones alone so they can build a second city while you take down all the others. Gives you ~10 of the cities you need in order to win.

I have won once more since then(only one where I had enough land possible to bother)...

I've tried about 5 so far in BTS and none have had enough land, closest came about 70 tiles short. Warlords version was giving 8-9 AIs on my landmass regularly.

I've had 3 with enough land out of perhaps 8 maps...once I was isolated and I found out the other 10 civs were all on one landmass:cry:

Just submitted a very late finish. I wish I had more time to play games, but these days that's a rare luxury. Just before this started I had the best vanilla finish date for a standard settler domination. :king: That won't last now.

I only really did this one to tick the Gminor box in Quattromasters, but I'd like to have given it a more serious shot. I've probably got the slowest finish of anyone this time! :(

Finally got a BTS map with enough land, although I didn't think it did at the start as I was only able to walk into 2 AI capitals. Popped a settler from a GH, had copper at my capital and got horses by saving the GH settler. Researched to COL for caste, no wonders. Finished 1150BC.

Top Bottom