G-Minor 36

I would have submitted about 10 games for this gauntlet if Beyond the Sword didn't keep crashing on me. There must be something really buggy in that game because Warlords has never crashed.

OK, I just submitted 1210AD. Toku, Vanilla again.

Here is my starting position:

I moved the Settler to the Hill/Plains tile 1W2S, lost a Wheat farm (NW from the Oasis), but gained sea access, fish, and 1 extra hammer. So, I built 4 Warriors and rushed Asoka's capital. It had pigs, floodplains, gold, and a Worker.

The rest was trivial. After CS/Machinery I killed 2 more AIs on my continent while teching to Astronomy. Then loaded Galleons (upgraded from Galleys) with my Samurais and dumped them on the other continent with 3 AIs. I did not have cats yet, researched them after Astro. Only the last one on the other continent made it to Longbows, it was Peter. By that time I brought reinforcements with cats and everything.

Yeesh, have I got a lot to learn on fast war rushing. Playing the Romans, with 4 civs on my continent, on the pre-mentioned game. Stuck with this one, as I got a pretty good lie, got all my necessary resources, and had the 4 civs.

1400ish, now, and only 2 civs down. My army can take nearly any city, so I don't get how everyone gets done so quick. I guess I just didn't build up my army fast enough, allowing everyone to get better defenses and more units built. Seemed like I was doing pretty good, too. Once I could build Praetorians, I built 8 of them, with two healers, and off went.

America was fairly easy. Still takes time. Bismark had tons of defenses. Now, Napoleon started a war with me, before I could with him....probably at least 100 years ago, now, that I've been fighting him off. Something tells me I'm going to be one of those late scores. No worries, as I need a bunch of things from this for the Quatros. Still, though, I've put at least 12 hours into this one game already. And, I've got a long road ahead of me.

Just wonder what I'm doing wrong. Should I be maybe making two crews of 8 Praetorians right away? Attack multiple cities? Seems the finances would go in the toilet, if you get that many units going, in foreign lands.

Guess I need a whole new line of thinking, after reading above. 4 quick warriors to take another capital? Interesting. Never tried that one. Whenever I used to, that type of tactic never seemed to work.

4 quick warriors to take another capital? Interesting. Never tried that one. Whenever I used to, that type of tactic never seemed to work.
This is very risky at Prince level Normal speed, since you may run into Archers. However some of the AIs (like Asoka or Izzy) go after religions and delay Archery. It's still risky since they may build another Warrior, like in my case.

I guess I was lucky, and free Combat I from Aggressive helped. I lost 3 Warriors, but the 4th one survived, got promoted to CR1 on the next turn and finished off the last badly wounded defender.

On the other hand, that capital was not exactly close to my own, I had to spend like 14 turns on crossing the jungle. If you have a closer AI, your chances will be a lot better.

Just wonder what I'm doing wrong. Should I be maybe making two crews of 8 Praetorians right away? Attack multiple cities? Seems the finances would go in the toilet, if you get that many units going, in foreign lands.
8 Praets sounds a fair play to me. I would probably start with 5, adding some more and creating separate stacks later on as more units are ready.

Maybe you should just build them cottages early on, and raze all the cities in poor locations (e.g. low food)?

When playing as Rome, I attack a border city when I have my first 2 praets ready, while building more to reinforce for assaults on the capital.

In my current attempt for this, I'm going as Portugal. I somehow founded on horses(yay), and as soon as I'd finished building 3 warriors, 2 workers, 2 settlers, and 2 workboats(at which point my capital was size 5). Quickly built 4 chariots(2 turns each!) and swamped Justinian's defenses. Took both his cities while losing a single chariot. Now I need to decide whether to take out Darius and Monty sooner or later.

Yeah, I found in my game, I don't recall finding any rival cities that DIDN'T have archers, when I happened upon them. I figured in Prince, they all would, unless I found them very close by. With archers, I didn't even think chariots would work too well.

I'm trying as Dutch, but the only games i actually played, i've found myself with only an AI in the same landmass, regularly warrior-rushed.
The remaining Ais are 2by2 on different landmasses.
The first one was with High sea level, so i've changed to Medium but no difference: do i need Low?
This way, even if i got Astro before 1000AD, all the work is to be done.

I submitted a 1020AD Warlords finish with Ramesses, high sea level. An earlier finish is possible but I won't have time to play again.

My start had flood plains, cow, a gold mine and some forests. Research was AH, Mining, Writing, Alphabet. The only nearby horses were in a bad location so I almost restarted. I built a second city to grab the horses, a library in the capital and 5 war chariots before trading techs and starting to attack my 3 neighbors. I traded for most of the low level techs BW, Fishing, Hunting, Archery, Mysticism, Masonry, Pottery, and even IW and Sailing(these more than pay for the cost of Alphabet).

I switched the capital to the Oracle after researching Poly, Priesthood and starting Metal Casting and took Machinery as my free tech at about 800BC. I had been running two scientists in the capital and popped my first great scientist the next turn.

I chopped the Pyramids in Cyrus' capital after hooking up stone and researched CoL after machinery. A switch to Representation and Caste System and two of Cyrus' cities ran as many scientists as possible to pop great scientists. Optics and Astronomy were lightbulbed in 300AD with my three scientists after researching Literature, Compass, Construction, Calendar, and half of Civil Service.

I switched to Police State and Slavery to whip units and conquer the other continent. The other continent had 3 AIs and one religion so they reached Feudalism after I had just started to attack. This slowed me but I had lots of catapults, elephants and mace reinforcements.

There were a few major delays in the game.

1> I only had 3 AIs on my continent. I researched Literature and built the Heroic Epic and about 10 units in my capital after eliminating the local AIs with war chariots. I would have finished much faster with 4AIs on my starting continent. I would have used my war chariots more and the other continent wouldn't have traded up to Feudalism.

2> The horses were in a bad location. Ideally, I would have horses in the capital's BFC or in a high food location for the second city. I got more from Alphabet by delaying my attacks but it delayed my great scientist generation. Russia and Spain had high food capitals but I captured them too late to generate great scientists. Without a third high food city, I should have risked a slower Oracle build in my second city. I could then generate another great scientist in my capital. If I had captured two high food capitals quickly, I could have finished Astronomy near 1AD.

3> I generated the last great scientist in a mediocre city. Cyrus' capital had engineer contamination from the Pyramids so I ran 5 scientists to generate the second GS (for Optics or Construction if a GE). I had a lot of GP contamination in the capital from the Oracle so I used a mediocre Persian city which could only run 3.5 scientists to generate the last great scientist. I was done researching the minimum techs long before the last great scientist was completed. Lots of food in my second city or Cyrus' second would have solved this problem. Alternately, I should have risked getting a priest in my capital.

Thank you to whoever submitted a worse game than mine, I'm no longer in last place :lol:

I wish I would have had more time to do better in this game, but the other minor took too much of my attention... my second place finish there balances out my poor finish here, right? :)

Well it wasn't me (who you can usually count on to prop up the bottom of the table).

I almost made it to the end of my latest attempt, but I played too long in my recent session and let the game crashed at 1800AD. No time left to start again.

Thank you to whoever submitted a worse game than mine, I'm no longer in last place :lol:

Well, that was me :)

I just recently (re-)discovered Civ Fanatics and the HOF. The gauntlets and game of the month sounded like great fun, and so far they haven't disappointed me.

I played the HRE, got a continent with only Hannibal and Lissy to share; my archer rush on Hannibal failed, my next try with swords lost its momentum to attrition and so I didn't clear my first(!) opponent before I had Landsknechte etc. somewhen around 1600/1700. After that Lissy had a clear tech lead, but gladly hadn't teched into rifling yet, so I beat her with rifelmen/grenadiers somewhere in the early 20th century, just in time as her UU slowly started to appear during that war.

After that I had ~ 100 turns left to conquere the other continents, split between a far advanced Chinese on one and not so advanced Japane/Babylon on another landmass, and I hadn't even had time to develop astromony yet. I finally managed to beat the Chinese with infantry/tanks and the last two Civs with tanks/gunships close before time in 2042, anyone aiming for last place has to beat that! ;)

Actually that race against the 2050 date made it quite a fun game after all, and as I don't know if I have the time to finish another game successfully (I'm still not good enough to win Prince on a regular basis) I submitted it.

BTW I beat only five opponents, in the replay I discovered that Brennus was in the game, too. But his starting city was destroyed early on by barbs... so even the barbs did better this game than me :lol:

A win is a win, you get your minor gauntlet slot in your HOF table.

And welcome to CFC and the HOF!

Ok, I have an extremely lame question: Do capitulated vassels count as eliminated opponents for conquest wins? In other words, so I didn't have to kill every last frickin city like I did in the game I just submitted?

Jack

They count as eliminated.
Watch you don't go over domination limit because of this (vassal's land and pop counts half).

EDIT: it's not lame, even Methos didn't know about this a while back, and he is one of the people in charge of the HOF!

Submitted a painful 1765.
Started as Dutch in a continent with only 1 opponent (Mehmed), warrior rushed.
Great land, but bad luck with GPs, lot of GE, only 1 GS, so liberalism for astro around 1000 AD.
1 continent around the same size as mine with Asoka and Vicky, vassalized Asoka, wiped Vicky and built a colony, HC was the RNG choice.
The bad thing was that Wash, MM and Hatty was in a continent bigger than the sum of mine and the closest one, and at some 5 turns away.
Wiped Wash and Hatty (which was MM's vassal), and MM was hard to capitulate, only after i took 3 capitals and some 2-3 cities he did.
To avoid the Domination i quickly built a colony, Fred comes.
I knew this before Astro, since i traded for maps, and sincerely i don't know why i didn't abandoned the game.
If i got time for another attempt i'll abandon if in my starting continent i don't find 3 or 4 AIs.
East Indiaman rocks! And even the traits are very good.

Submitted my last run at this one. Played as Augustus again but went for some early Wonders this time building both the Oracle (took COL) and building the Pyramids. I had played a few with barbs on, trying to let the AI build the Great Wall for me, and never got them to build it on the starting continent. So being pushed for time I played without barbs and the Wall was built on my continent :lol:

Anyway, I got iron in the 2nd cultural expansion of Rome so I was a little slower starting the first war. But from there everything rolled pretty smooth. I built/chopped courthouse in almost every captured cities which in hindsight was probably a mistake. I also built the Forb. Palace. I finished the game with over 2000 gold, able to build knight and vassalized the final 2 AIs. Game ended in 1210AD with a score just shy of 95k.

Top Bottom