G-Minor 36

Not really trying to win this gauntlet, but working to improve my game. So I am playing with random opponents and barbarians. Just got an 1836 win with Shaka. I think it was my first standard conquest game that ended with rifles and not tanks, so I guess I'm getting a bit better.

I may try it one more time, but first another try or two at the other minor.

Just another game which proves that I suck at early warfare...
It's not that I can't win the battles; but I have no idea how to properly balance a war economy without Currency and CoL.

Got a brilliant inland start with Jao on PH, 2 gold + 1 wheat and plenty of forests, Machinery slingshot in 1640. Now it's well beyond 500 AD, still more than 15 cities to conquer (on THREE continents:/), and I will go bankrupt any turn now.

I never would have even thought of trying to win this game without Currency and CoL. Maybe if it was a Pangea map, but a Continents? I'm impressed you even tried.

thanks for the advice and welcome ...billybgame, DJMGator13 and bestje :D

I've tweaked a few settings, and will see how things work ..

on a seperate note....

MAN DO I LOVE MAP FINDER !!! :band:

OK I got confirmation that the game was Ok'ed.

This is not a great date but.. it is good for me

1470 AD Conquest with a score of 23,191

My Settings:

OK.. this was me:

And this was my start:

My theory on this one was to stop trying for Wonders and just pump out Praetorians and get to Astronomy as soon as possible. This worked out fairly well for me even though I did have quite a long stretch after my continent was cleared to get to Astronomy.

I also had some luck this game. I had iron in my starting BFC.

Then something happened that I have never seen. On turn 61 copper suddenly appeared in my BFC! so I had Iron and Bronze tiles to work off of.

I could pump out Praetorians in 3 turns in Rome!

In another stroke of luck on turn 68 Asoka showed up! I was thinking this was yet another map that only 3 were on my land mass..

At 1AD I had cleared my continent of all but 2 small back water cities. One Asoka and one Washington. I think it took 6 turns to find the cities and destroy them (150AD)

From there I teched up to Astro (I did get 2 Great Scientists to help along the way)

Once I found the other continent I had Ghandi and Liz to contend with. Liz was a bit weaker so I started with her at the southern part of the second continent and worked my way up. The only hassles I had with this part of the War was the distance.. I still can screw up a ship chain with the best of them (ask Gator he has seen it in action). And Asoka had some 85% cultural boundaries to contend with as well..

In the end though all of my promoted Praetorians we just too much for these guys and I took the win.

Excellent game Mistfit :goodjob:

Great location for Rome: Gold, copper, iron, 2 fp and corn.

Ship chaining is always interesting to handle. Did you mess up the initial setup or the operation of it later?

BTW, I just submitted another game. I'll wait for it to be accepted before giving the date.

Is ship chaining where you can load a ship with the contents of another ship? Never done that before...

Is ship chaining where you can load a ship with the contents of another ship? Never done that before...

Yes, troops loading from a city can transfer to another ship (or ships) that same turn. They can only unloaded in a city that turn, as they have no movement points left.

When moving your inital assualt force between the 2 continents, it is probably better to load all ships and send at one time. But as reinforcements are ready ship chaining can speed them to the frontlines quickly.

I need to start playing more games with barbs ON. In a game where you are planning on going to war, ie conquest, barbs shouldn't be a problem. Especially if it helps to slow the AIs tech rate down.

Haven't played much with Monty as an opponent, does he tend to get wars going among the AI? That happened in my earlier game, Izzy & Gandhi were at war with each other early, on my continent. So I focused on eliminated the other AIs on my continent first and hit those 2 last.

raging barbs really slows the AIs tech and expansion down, just make sure you get the GW, mansa works best for this as his UU is comfortably able to destroy any early barbs

monty starts a lot of wars, he isn't a very good general though so if he attacks someone who knows how to fight he usually gets beaten up quite badly. he'll usually attack the peaceful builder types and if they don't have much military he might even get lucky and remove an opponent for you

izzy is also good for stirring up trouble and also not hard to handle if she attacks you

in these continents game i worry about having to attack the other continent at a tech disadvantage, shouldn't have really i had rifles, cavs and cannons they had maces and longbows

I played normal barbs on, and built the Great Wall. It meant once I had cleaned out my continent I could ship my whole army abroad (except 1 warrior or an archer defending each city). I was playing Joao though so wasn't in any danger of them getting astronomy.

i think izzy built it for me fairly early on, the GW is good for GG points as well as stopping barbs

what was your civ split like, was it fairly even or were most of the AI on one continent?
could see it being difficult to deal with a lot of the AI when having to reinforce through boats especially ones only carrying 1/2 units (i forget which)

3 and me on mine, 3 on the other.

I had like 20 triremes I upgraded to carracks by running 0% science for a few turns.

EDIT: 1806 was pretty lame though, I could have teched to astro quick in a more patient build up game. Sitting Bull (my continent) did not help. Carracks carry 2 units.

My only hope is to squeeze out some beakers for poly and lighbulb CoL...
I just found out the hard way that Prophets prefer working in a quarry over founding a new religion. Stoopid Earthlings :crazyeye:

About ship chaining, I always thought they removed it with the introduction of Civ4 :eek: . Does it still work in bts?

Yes, troops loading from a city can transfer to another ship (or ships) that same turn. They can only unloaded in a city that turn, as they have no movement points left.

When moving your inital assualt force between the 2 continents, it is probably better to load all ships and send at one time. But as reinforcements are ready ship chaining can speed them to the frontlines quickly.

Wow...the things you learn here:)

P.S. awesome game, Misfit. I just started yet another, last night, but have nowhere near the starting site. Lots of food and money, though, with a ton of flood plains. We shall see. I keep getting one thing to go my way, and something goes wrong. Maybe one of these times it will all come together.

About ship chaining, I always thought they removed it with the introduction of Civ4 :eek: . Does it still work in bts?

I just found out it still works while playing in SGOTM06. I haven't tried it BTS but I would think so.

Quick Guide to Ship Chaining (for those that have never done it before)

Seems a bit of an exploit to me...

About ship chaining, I always thought they removed it with the introduction of Civ4 . Does it still work in bts?

Huh? I always thought that was removed after the original CV! Is that cheesey exploit still there 3 versions later?? Unbelievable.

Next thing you're going to tell me that if you save and reload at the end of a turn, all your units get to move again (another classic piece of original Civ cheese).

My latest game has been accepted. Surprisingly it is #2 on the list though. I played as Augustus in Warlords this time.

Not as strong a starting city as Mistfit had, but it was very good & coastal. I had a 4/2 split of the AIs. I made peace with a few of the AI's after taking them down to 1 small city for the sole purpose of gaining techs for peace. Waited the required 10 turns and eliminated them. This is how I "researched" COL.

By 1030AD I had all 4 AI on the starting continent eliminated and 6 loaded galleons exploring when I finally found the other continent. I lost a bunch of units trying to capture the 2nd Indian city, which had the Hanging Gardens even after reducing cultural defense to 0%. I also had a large number of units in Izzy territory when she became my vassal. It took several turns to move these back towards Asoka. These 2 items cost me my target date of 1250AD.

I finished at 1310AD, with a score over 73k. But as I said earlier it is number 2 on the list.

Nice one DJM, I'm down to #5 but am happy with a non-cheese conquest that is valid for EQM.

Ship chaining, reminds me of Diplomacy.

I actually don't think it is an exploit. If you want to tie up 10 Galleons to transport 3 troops quickly over an ocean, that is a trade off. You could have used those same 10 Galleons to transport 30 troops more slowly. Since they are effectively used only to dribble in reinforcements, I don't see the problem.

Just wish I had thought of it :)

Top Bottom