• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

G-Minor 81

Heh, finally got mine submitted. Might be a hiccup in it due to a power outage early in the game, though. Here's hoping I managed to upload the right saves. *crosses fingers*

Spoiler :
620 AD

I tried a quick go at your date this morning...
Spoiler :

Because, in my mad rush to finish by the deadline, I forgot to settle this:

Submitted 770 AD.

Good game, DJM.

This one really depends on the luck of the map setup. Being able to get to 4 AI's by 1000 BC would be awesome. I got off to a great start here, but completely stalled due to distances involved and forking continent.

@Denniz,

I guess I got my submission in for the update, but not for the gauntlet?? Did I do a setting a wrong or something?
Ozbenno and I got our wires crossed. I clear out the submission queue before I set the guantlet cutoff times so I can get the final results for the update. You must have submitted it after that. Ozbenno probably didn't realize I was doing the update at that point and accepted it before I hit the publish button.

While you would have taken second, you were after the gauntlet cutoff. I think it is most consistant to treat is like all the games in the past that just missed the cutoff. The only difference is that yours got published when normally it wouldn't have. Sorry. :sad:

So when exactly is the cutoff? Does this mean my game, even though it was submitted before midnight on the 10th EST, wasn't counted at all?

I didn't have a good time myself and it got much worse because I had 642 needed out of 642 and still didn't win. The actual needed terrain must have been 642 and a fraction. I had stupidly deleted my galleys to save money, so had to make one, sail it to where it could pick up an extra settler and then sail to some mountainous arctic terrain I uncovered with my culture. That last square of terrain cost me about 20-25 turns, forever at quick speed :(

So when exactly is the cutoff? Does this mean my game, even though it was submitted before midnight on the 10th EST, wasn't counted at all?
The cutoff is when I start the update. Usually that is 5pm US Central time. As I said, I always clear any submissions in the queue before I start. The system uses the timestamp when the games are accepted, IIRC. Which is why we have always done it that way.

Ozbenno and I got our wires crossed. I clear out the submission queue before I set the guantlet cutoff times so I can get the final results for the update. You must have submitted it after that. Ozbenno probably didn't realize I was doing the update at that point and accepted it before I hit the publish button.

While you would have taken second, you were after the gauntlet cutoff. I think it is most consistant to treat is like all the games in the past that just missed the cutoff. The only difference is that yours got published when normally it wouldn't have. Sorry. :sad:

Thanks, that's fine. I don't really care about the gauntlet, I was just wondering how it works.

Good game, DJM.

This one really depends on the luck of the map setup. Being able to get to 4 AI's by 1000 BC would be awesome. I got off to a great start here, but completely stalled due to distances involved and forking continent.

Map luck was indeed important. I luckily found that 1 tile island at the end of my game or my game would have needed Astro. I see you also stayed just with the horse archers as I did.

Map luck was indeed important. I luckily found that 1 tile island at the end of my game or my game would have needed Astro. I see you also stayed just with the horse archers as I did.

Yeah, horse archers it is. I teched to HBR/Alpha/CoL, then stopped. Didn't even bother with stables, and I only lost something like 7-8 units all game. I was in too much of a rush towards the end to properly calculate, so went for total overkill. Attacked my last 3 victims with 60+ HA's, when they had maybe 20 units between them. Half of my units were deleted without ever seeing action. I think this is doable in the BC's, with some RNG luck midway through.

How on earth did you find a 330-tile dom limit?! Is it just luck or some setting I'm not thinking of? All of my attempts were in the 600-tile range.

Yeah, horse archers it is. I teched to HBR/Alpha/CoL, then stopped. Didn't even bother with stables, and I only lost something like 7-8 units all game. I was in too much of a rush towards the end to properly calculate, so went for total overkill. Attacked my last 3 victims with 60+ HA's, when they had maybe 20 units between them. Half of my units were deleted without ever seeing action. I think this is doable in the BC's, with some RNG luck midway through.

How on earth did you find a 330-tile dom limit?! Is it just luck or some setting I'm not thinking of? All of my attempts were in the 600-tile range.

When your game first starts, mouse over your score and you'll see the amount of your score that comes from land. The second number is basically a count of all the land tiles. As you regenerate maps get a feel for the land range. When playing a domination game always try to stay at the low end of the range. I've seen some maps that have changed more than 150 tiles just thru the regeneration.

Here's a screen shot of what you should see.

Attachments

• Gmnr81.jpg
    Gmnr81.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 45
Yeah, I get that. ;) I just haven't seen one that's close to your count. Though, in all honesty, I probably only tried about half a dozen high-sea-level maps for this...

Outside of that it is just luck of the draw. If the AI hadn't settled a city on the island that map would have left me short.

Top Bottom