G-Minor LXX

Well, regardless, I gave this a shot. First map I thought for sure was going to be the record-setter, despite a corner start. 4 salt 1 horses hilltop with kilimanjaro nearby. Opened Liberty for the free worker, and by turn 35 I have 5 archers, two warriors, 2 scouts (1 upgrade) and enough production to make chariot archers in 4 turns each when my worker finishes the pasture, 3 turns once the last salt mine is done. I've annexed Brussels for the culture and all rush-bought units will start with free hill moves. My third army will be 1 horseman and 2 chariot archers, so it can catch up with the other two...

But, but... then I noticed I placed TWO DARIUS in the game. /facepalm

ARGGGGGGH

Spoiler :

I'm somewhat surprised there's so much more interest in the G-Minor than the G-Major. Is it really just because it's chieftain (easy mode) and Shaka panhaha (easier mode)?!

(Pangaea not panhaha but I loved the autocorrect fail so I'm calling it that from now on)

I would think more people would find the challenge and non traditional build order required by Gajah Large Islands to be more interesting, but it appears only 2 of us think so. /shrug
The minor takes a short amount of time and is open to a much higher amount of players due to difficulty level so it makes sense.

210 turns. I know that's not a very good time, but I'm proud of it because of what it is for me:

My first ever Civ 5 win!

t94, started at one end of a very thin long pangaea, as you can see. Thought the Pangaea went the OTHER way, sent all my troops that way. But, behind a CS that looked like it was at the edge of the pangaea was a land-bridge. Didn't even meet Boudicca or Greece until t70ish. Would have been done on t80 with a better start, if not sooner. I will probably try one more time, but for now, back to Indonesia!

Spoiler :

I'm somewhat surprised there's so much more interest in the G-Minor than the G-Major. Is it really just because it's chieftain (easy mode) and Shaka panhaha (easier mode)?!

(Pangaea not panhaha but I loved the autocorrect fail so I'm calling it that from now on)

I would think more people would find the challenge and non traditional build order required by Gajah Large Islands to be more interesting, but it appears only 2 of us think so. /shrug

Hi, I agree with you; the Gajah Mada gauntlet is much more challenging and interesting in every way pretty much. The map, civ, and level make it interesting. I'm not sure why this G-Minor bothered to feature the Zulus-- At Chieftain it could just as easily been any random civ and the winning time would not be incredibly different. No need for Impis or even Ikandas.

That being said, I see the reasons for the interest in this G-Minor right now. It's incredibly fast to play through (that's always a plus!) with the panhaha map, and it only runs two weeks vs. the monthlong G-Major. Enjoying it for now to see what early UU's are bothering to put up a fight at Chieftain level.

210 turns. I know that's not a very good time, but I'm proud of it because of what it is for me:

My first ever Civ 5 win!

Congratulations! A Civ 5 win is always satisfying at any level! No matter what, have fun with it.

For me it was just that when I wanted to start the other gauntlet still had 8 oponents. So I had to start with this one - and now want to finish in the medals.

Doesn't mean I wont try the other if I feel I can't improve my time here anymore or get tired of this.

The fastest attempt (t60-65) will be as follows:

CITY: center start, settle on hill, production focus after pop 2
BO: scout, scout, archers till infinity (with 2 warriors for army 2 and 3), buy archers with money
SP: Honor for extra experience (insta-heals)
TECH: archery (maybe optics for shortcuts and writing for embassies)

an army consists of 4 archers and 1 warrior (with some good luck you get two archers from those scouts), which leads your first army marching at t20. don't stop for healing (use insta-heals), keep marching.

Army 1 -> 3/4 civs
Army 2 -> 2/3 civs
Army 3 -> 1 civ

I really question the 5b/o world age setting, because I have the feeling it generates a lot of isthmus and a less oval-like pangaea. Normal (4 b/o) seems to be the best.

I'm not sure that is correct. Spearmen with Ikanda upgrades are pretty awesome.

Domination - Immortal - Large Islands, it's around 3 hours a game for me (and if I have Iron for Frigate, if I need battelships it's 4 and more). And there's GOTM France CV - Immortal to play (surely 5 hours for me).
Domination - Chieftain - Pangea, it's 30 minutes. So, it's funnier sometimes to just plan a game for winning so fast.

And some people post their perf on minor. It's a goal. If you tell me your first result in Major, I'll have a goal. ;)

Got a T7? :twitch: result with
TO: Archery, Mining, Bronze, Calendar, Masonry, ->HBR (stable), ->Currency
BO: 2xScout, military...
SP: Liberty, Citizenship (worker), Honor, Warrior Code, Mil. Tradition
Extensivly demanding tribut from CS. Bought barracks and units (Archers, Spearman, Chariots) in Capital only. When unit limit was reached I built SoZ. I had 2 armies wandering around.

Getting lucky with Natural Wonders makes a difference, but IMHO less of a difference than the clustering of CS around your start position. If you have a lot of CS nearby, you can pull in mad cash. If all the CS are on the perimeter far away, you'll never have your military close enough to repeatedly demand tribute. Kilimanjaro is probably the biggest difference maker IMHO. If you can move your capital over to it, the extra culture and free movement is a great combo without having to work a zero-food tile.

I'm also starting to think high sea level isn't necessarily the way to go... the long snaky pangaea it tends to create means that the average distance between you and other AI is higher, even if there's less landmass. And there's less likelihood of getting a central start... everything is coastal, even in the center. Which is fine, except you don't know for like 40 turns whether you're in the "center" or not. I hope to have time to try this one more time tonight, and I'll switch to medium sea level.

EDIT: t85... Another map where I started at one end. I'm starting to think center starts are a myth. ;)

I was surprised to see that still wasn't good enough to crack the top 5. I'm guessing #1 is t60-something, or will be by the time the challenge ends... Ah well, I need to finish my Indonesia game, so I'm gonna give up on medaling on this... for now. ;)

Id also turn on medium seas, with kilim its just not that bad to have medium seas instead of narrow passage which is blocked by something.

Its just boring to reroll for start that has all the good stuff, maybe gotta try major instead.

-D

Id also turn on medium seas, with kilim its just not that bad to have medium seas instead of narrow passage which is blocked by something.

Its just boring to reroll for start that has all the good stuff, maybe gotta try major instead.

-D
I haven't really had the experience that high seas creates a bunch of narrow passages. I know it's shocking, but random is random.

I haven't really had the experience that high seas creates a bunch of narrow passages. I know it's shocking, but random is random.

I always have bad luck, most of my games is with narrow passages. :(

Top Bottom