G-Minor XVIII

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Settler
  • Map Size: Tiny
  • Map Type: Tiny Islands
  • Speed: Quick
  • Leader: Siam (Ramkhamhaeng)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV7 (1.0.1.332)
  • Date: 1st to 15th December 2011
The highest score wins.

Cultural games are my talon d'achille, but quick speed and tiny island(faster turns) can make this game still enjoyable.

I guess that low sea level and the possibility to get at least 2 more cities on the island is gonna be profitable. A 4th city when optics will be discovered.

Edit: Highest score? Meh...sorry but i will pass this one too.

1st try, t183, ingame score of 760. I never play quick, nor Settler, so I learned a lot, simple things like what resources and RA's are worth, and that you can easily finish before Radio and Mass Media.

Played a 2 city setup, had only 1 CS that was cultural. Played very quick, so qua turns I can improve easily. Any suggestions to increase score, other than the obvious acquisition of (foreign) land.

1st try, t183, ingame score of 760. I never play quick, nor Settler, so I learned a lot, simple things like what resources and RA's are worth, and that you can easily finish before Radio and Mass Media.

Played a 2 city setup, had only 1 CS that was cultural. Played very quick, so qua turns I can improve easily. Any suggestions to increase score, other than the obvious acquisition of (foreign) land.

there was a previous score game that you can look up the thread for to find the ins and outs. basically the game shouldn't be played as a culture game, rather it should be a domination game with the last capital left unconquered. you want all city spots possible filled, and then cities to grow as much as possible, as early as possible. at some point determinable by finding when your score / turns starts decreasing, you want to force the stop

This was my first time trying to play a Gauntlet game and so I decided to give G-Minor XVIII a try. This game went pretty easy but I wasn't sure how to get maximum points.

I built 90% of the monuments and finished five social policy branches needed for the cutural victory (Tradition, Liberty, Piety, Patronage, Freedom, Commerce). So about turn 200 I'm ready to build the Utopia project and win... but I wanted more points.

So I started adding more cities and focusing on tech. I finished all the tech and built all the buildings except for the Utopia project and the United Nations. I figured I would try to extend the game and finish the Utopia Project on turn 499.

Then I killed off Bizmark and Wu... and left Montezuma with just his capital. I also culture bombed Montezuma a couple of times to reduce his area of control.

Now comes turn 330.
Montezuma still has his capital and 340 points.
I have all the other land in the game.
I have finished off social policies Honor and Commerece... and even completed all but one in Rationalism (which of course caused me to deactivate Piety).
Almost all my cities are concentrating on Great People so I am in almost a steady state of Golden Ages.
I'm at 4,237 points and the game ends.
Now I just noticed that it says I won a time victory.

Does the "Quick" game end at 330 turns instead of 500?
If so... That's where I screwed up.

ouch =(
yes, quick turn limit is 330 (66% of 500)

the final score for HoF purposes is basically in game score / turns, so finishing earlier is better. eg if you finish turn 320, your in game score needs to be > 2x what it was at 160 to make it a gain.

This was my first time trying to play a Gauntlet game and so I decided to give G-Minor XVIII a try. This game went pretty easy but I wasn't sure how to get maximum points.

I built 90% of the monuments and finished five social policy branches needed for the cutural victory (Tradition, Liberty, Piety, Patronage, Freedom, Commerce). So about turn 200 I'm ready to build the Utopia project and win... but I wanted more points.

So I started adding more cities and focusing on tech. I finished all the tech and built all the buildings except for the Utopia project and the United Nations. I figured I would try to extend the game and finish the Utopia Project on turn 499.

Then I killed off Bizmark and Wu... and left Montezuma with just his capital. I also culture bombed Montezuma a couple of times to reduce his area of control.

Now comes turn 330.
Montezuma still has his capital and 340 points.
I have all the other land in the game.
I have finished off social policies Honor and Commerece... and even completed all but one in Rationalism (which of course caused me to deactivate Piety).
Almost all my cities are concentrating on Great People so I am in almost a steady state of Golden Ages.
I'm at 4,237 points and the game ends.
Now I just noticed that it says I won a time victory.

A 4,237 score isn't that bad with these settings. Next time check the victory tab to see how many turns you have left, it is a good tool to check the AI.

You can still submit this game for the HoF but I hope you try again :)

I finished on 254 I built a lot of stuff jsut to see ~ first game of civ 5 ~ bit of learning curve since its not much like civ 4.:eek::gripe: I built a lot of stuff jsut to have a look at it or see the effects. Still had oodles of great people laying around at the end soaking up the sun.

I finished on 254 I built a lot of stuff jsut to see ~ first game of civ 5 ~ bit of learning curve since its not much like civ 4.:eek::gripe: I built a lot of stuff jsut to have a look at it or see the effects. Still had oodles of great people laying around at the end soaking up the sun.

Welcome to Civ 5 :)
Just a small note, this gauntlet is for best score not best time ;)

Welcome to Civ 5 :)
Just a small note, this gauntlet is for best score not best time ;)

oh i know ;) ~ it was just a bit of a coincidence i was 1 turn different:crazyeye: ~ my score is sitting at #2 last i looked:mischief:; but i would think a very much higher one is possible ~ with only 1 game its hard to speculate too much :scan:.

oh i know ;) ~ it was just a bit of a coincidence i was 1 turn different:crazyeye: ~ my score is sitting at #2 last i looked:mischief:; but i would think a very much higher one is possible ~ with only 1 game its hard to speculate too much :scan:.

I'm going to submit my game now and I am very happy about it.
I'm going to compete for the gold this time!
But I must have to get my first gauntlet medal! Otherwise I'll cry :p

I replayed it and I got the score 2656. Almost not worth resubmitting. Oh well.

BTW What scores did you guys get? Just so I know where mine is atm.

I'm not sure how this translates to HoF score, but ingame I would have finished with around 60-70k around turn 220-230. Maybe later and with more score, if my cities kept growing like they did.

Unfortunately I accidentally captured the last foreign capital just as I was able to start utopia project :-(

I'm not sure how this translates to HoF score, but ingame I would have finished with around 60-70k around turn 220-230. Maybe later and with more score, if my cities kept growing like they did.

Unfortunately I accidentally captured the last foreign capital just as I was able to start utopia project :-(

I think you mean 6.000 - 7.000? (6k-7k)
Which would be a good score for this setup.

Sorry, yes. 6866 when I accidentally finished to be precise.

No problem, we all make mistakes :)
Not bad but not good enough to beat me :p (I waited a long time to make a post like this hehe :lol:)

Is that you with the top score Peets?

Top Bottom