1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor XXVIII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, May 1, 2012.

  1. Ozbenno

    Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    Messages:
    11,091
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

    (*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

    Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Immortal
    • Map Size: Tiny
    • Map Type: Inland Sea
    • Speed: Marathon
    • Leader: Germany (Bismark)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8 (1.0.1.511)
    • Date: 1st to 16th May 2012
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.
     
  2. Ozbenno

    Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    Messages:
    11,091
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
  3. vexing

    vexing knows

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,668
    barb army fun.

    extra challenge: win without founding berlin.
     
  4. S.K. Ren

    S.K. Ren Chieftain

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Messages:
    368
    Location:
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Would that even be possible? You'd need... a lot of luck and... a little bit more luck... and finally a deal with the devil.
     
  5. Lord_Bubu

    Lord_Bubu Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2012
    Messages:
    61
    Isn't "Immortal" a little too hard for a "minor" gauntlet?
     
  6. vexing

    vexing knows

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,668
    marathon pace is at least -2 difficulty,
    domination with germany compounds that further.

    it's really not too difficult to complete this challenge.
     
  7. Arnold_T

    Arnold_T Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2009
    Messages:
    366
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Canada
    Hey Bubu,
    yeah, I thought the same thing, but I think Vexing right. I have more Diety losses than wins, and all of my Diety wins are with Bismark, marathon speed, so this is definately doable at Immortal. I'm going to found Berlin though! :)
     
  8. Ozbenno

    Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    Messages:
    11,091
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    Tiny map, marathon speed and a favourable leader makes it a minor fit.
     
  9. TyfoonTurk

    TyfoonTurk Chieftain

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    250
    just to set a first time, got t112

    teched only luxuries
     
  10. ColinTH

    ColinTH Chieftain

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    441
    Location:
    Bedford
    By my standards at least, I say well done to you Tyfoon Turk, I managed turn 114.

    I only found two ruins the first was a unit upgrade and the second an Indian scout beat me to it! I must say though, I had alot of luck from the barb huts, they mostly gave me units. I can't imagine doing any better than you no matter how many times I try!

    EDIT - Ignore what I said about the ruins, I had three attempts at this challenge and got mixed up, I pcked up three or four ruins one of which gave me a useful map which outlined Delhi.

    EDIT - I never play games like this and being as I am a stupid old git, I really did think that being on gold income minus would disrupt the fighting capabilities of my troops (der), Now that I know different (through trial and error) I might be able to approach this type of differently.

    latest - finnish in 97 turns. I didn't get culture from any ruins, so I imagine the top guys will beat 90 turns!!
     
  11. vexing

    vexing knows

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,668
    that can be improved upon. it's a matter of setting up a sufficient army, then generally you'll want to bait your opponents 3-4 warriors out of their capital and kill them off, then recover and capture their capital. since it's marathon there's little worry of them spewing more units in the meantime.

    i recommend archery, since you pretty much have to get through the 3 warriors it's the easiest way to handle it safely. it also opens up barb archer spawning (and they're even stronger than your base archers).

    sub 80 is possible.
     
  12. ColinTH

    ColinTH Chieftain

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    441
    Location:
    Bedford
    Good stuff vexing, this is all news to me, I just gather a huge army and suffer unimaginable casualties (this is a consequence of playing dual games), I am sure there is alot for me to learn.

    Thanks for the info and good gaming.
     
  13. FeiLing

    FeiLing Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Messages:
    2,017
    Just started and ended my first try:
    First ruin on a hill next to a bar camp --> upgrade to spearman.
    Attacking the barb camp (on flat plains) on the next turn, the spearman takes 8 damage and the brute 5. Obviously he kills the spearman next turn. What are the odds? I think the estimation was something like deal 7 dmg and take 5. Instead I took 8 and dealt only 5.

    ...
     
  14. vexing

    vexing knows

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,668
    rhetorical perhaps... but interesting.

    i think you got the prediction numbers wrong. on immortal a
    spearman vs a fortified in plains barb should have been
    7.7 vs 8.4
    7 spearman base * 1.1 barb bonus vs 6 brute base * 1.4 (-10% for open terrain, +50% for fortified)

    which makes the expected damage dealt 5.24, 57% of the time dealing 5 or less,
    and the expected damage taken is 5.78, 9% of the time taking 8 damage (the max)
    the prediction should have said expected to deal 5, and take 6

    for the barb killing blow,
    there was a 44% chance of the spear surviving, 56% chance of dying. the odds would have been about 79% chance of survival if the spear had been at 7 hp.
     
  15. FeiLing

    FeiLing Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Messages:
    2,017
    :goodjob:

    yeah, not really used to the low barb bonus on immortal (10%) or deity (0%).
    I guess it still was very unlucky to take the maximum dmg (9% chance) and then the spear not surviving (roughly 50:50), so it was less than 5% chance of this worst case scenario ;)

    Anyway, failed with the 2nd attempt.

    Finished on turn 90 with the 3rd attempt. Unfortunately didn't settle on a hill luxury. That would probably help a lot to reach the 80-mark.
     
  16. Sporaticus

    Sporaticus Drooling Barbarian

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2011
    Messages:
    147
    Location:
    Under A Rock
    I'll see if I can get one by the 16th. I wonder if selecting Raging Barbarians would be a good idea......
     
  17. vexing

    vexing knows

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,668
    it's about as good of an idea as trying to win without founding berlin.
     
  18. ColinTH

    ColinTH Chieftain

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    441
    Location:
    Bedford
    Turn 78, and I have the last City (Delhi) surrounded, I have 9 warriors, 1 scout and an archer, I need two more positioning moves before I attack against their four warriors and an archer (Garrisoned).
    I am thinking maybe 83 or 84 (total) turns to finnish, but instead on turn 90 all my units are dead.
    The reason I got stuffed is because on turn 78 they aquired City Walls!
    I have to say that was very frustrating!

    I know this is not up to the standards of the top players but I have managed a turn 88 finnish.
     
  19. The Pilgrim

    The Pilgrim Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    Messages:
    2,998
    Location:
    Virtual reality
    Turn 76 on first attempt.
    Played way too conservative. Shouldn't have waited for the second army to join. Could have sub 70. 2 archers+3 warriors + GG are enough to take a capital.
    Fun challenge. No rerolling needed. Gotta try again. :)

    BTW, sorry for noobish question, barely played Bismark before. Can archers from barb camps join you too? Got only warriors. All archers died. :(
     
  20. Tabarnak

    Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    Messages:
    5,733
    Location:
    Québec
    Raging barbs don't help at raising the number of camps. Only the number of barbs getting out of camps. So it's only worse.
     

Share This Page