Game crashes on loading a savegame

yung.carl.jung

Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious
Dear Technical Support,

Yesterday I encountered an error when playing Civ VI that made me furious. My game crashed completely out of the blue, it was while the turns was rolling over to be precise. It just instantly closed down and I got a pop-up asking me if I wanted to send a report.

So I started up Civ VI again and loaded the last save, which was an autosave. Game enters the loading screen for the savegame, then crashes instantly. I repeat this a few more times, it always crashes. Then, finally, I load an older save and it works.

I play for about an hour, then tab out and take a short break. When I come back I click next turn, and the game crashes again while turns are rolling over. Exact same problem, I cannot load my last few savegames without the game crashing. It always crashes at the same time: Shortly after the game enters loading screen for my savegame.

I tried the Windows Defender Fix. I checked whether all game files were intact, and repaired the game. Restarted Steam, restarted PC, tried DX11, absolutely nothing helps. It really makes my blood boil, I played 10+ hour multiplayer sessions without any of this occurring, and now it does? I thought it was merely a corrupt savegame, but since it happened twice in such a short time to two different savegames I doubt it.

I am using no mods. PC is more than capable of handling the game. I'm playing on Windows 10. All help is welcome!

Could you upload a savefile that crashes on your computer? I could try if it's your computer or a proper bug.

Sure enough, crashes in the loading screen with the leader. Maybe post this in the bugs section or ask a mod to move this thread there.

One strange thing I noticed is that if I try to open the save as a hot seat game, it complains about invalid number of players for the map size, which doesn't happen with a functional save file.

I'm so incredibly frustrated. I loaded up an earlier save, t100, and then slowly and painstakingly played the next 8 turns, and sure enough the game crashes again exactly when I get to that t118, the turn it crashed last time. I made sure to make lots of saves this time -- doesn't matter. whenever I try to roll into t118 the game just crashes. this has killed any fun I had with this, I'll just have to abandon my current game and take a break. what a pain..

If any moderator would be so friendly to move this thread I would be very thankful.

Moderator Action: Moved to Bug Reports. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom