Game difficulty

Not another repoll, forget the past, embrace a new future, choose your difficulty.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well said :)

This is Demogame 3 after all...so there were two games prior to this, and many of you stayed on to try again, albeit with some additional rules or differences that the community thought were needed as a result of your prior experience. I'm confident that Demogame 4 would occur at some point in the future, but I don't support an "insurance policy" except in the case that we would not need to debate rules and such again.

Further, Provo, there are excellent players in our community. I consider myself to be a good player, but there are people I am already learning of as a result of joining this demogame whom I would gladly learn from. Monarch is not that much harder than Prince really.

We all apreciate the power of positive thought and the expectation of victory. Many more of us can't wait to kick this excellent idea off and have some fun with it all.

Do not make this an election issue. This is a metagame core rule, and we all know that. I know it is easy to mix the metagame and the faction rules, but the core here is that we agree on the game settings and play within these. Choice of difficulty has nothing to do with what the Tribal Council represents.

As per this post, there is 9 hrs 11 mins left and the votes are:
Noble: 1
Prince: 5
Monarch: 14
Emperor: 6

This means that more than 50% of the voters would like the Monarch option and that the two nearest other options are around equally matched. Unless something drastic happens, we will be playing Monarch :king:. Bring on the cakewalk guys ;)

Any :bts: game can be a disaster, and any can be a triumph. The biggest factor by far is the overall map, including resources and opponents. We give the map script hints at what we want, but the RNG is very much in control. Then we must take the game we're given and play it according to the environment. The things which might cause us to not play according to what we're given are things that we can control, if we're willing to adapt.

Any demogame can fail, and any can be a timeless wonder. The factor which controls this is the interpersonal dynamic. Players will clash over policy, it's human nature. Whenever there is a policy clash, someone will "win" and someone will "lose". After the decision is made, the parties need to respect that decision and move on.

The reason we discuss rules at the beginning of a new game is to allow them to adjust to the lessons learned from the past games, and to the preferred play style of the current set of players. Clearly we can choose to start that discussion with the same rules, and if the players at that time wish we can choose to keep the same rules. Sometimes, like in this game and in Civ3DG6 & 7 we decide to start with something completely different. But I think we only need to consider that issue when it comes up.

Bring on the cakewalk guys ;)

This will not neccesarily be a cakewalk as our starting position an other factors can have as much impact as +1/-1 difficulty level, occasionaly more. Where we start and what our resources are can make this game easy or diffiucult.

On the early discussion on restarting. I am very much against this as it is more relaistic to play with a real fear of failure in your heart. If we die, we die and we start a completley new game.

This will not neccesarily be a cakewalk as our starting position an other factors can have as much impact as +1/-1 difficulty level, occasionaly more. Where we start and what our resources are can make this game easy or diffiucult.

On the early discussion on restarting. I am very much against this as it is more relaistic to play with a real fear of failure in your heart. If we die, we die and we start a completley new game.

Absolutely!

I agree to this. Let us try with our best efforts, and take it from there. I was merely hinting I was not keen on a Traditional set-up ever again. Civics need to be included in the election system due to the new nature of CIV4 BTS.

I was kind of joking at the many Princes. I have proved arguments in the former threads and this thread is not to be polluted by that, sorry. :mischief:

Voted for Monarch since it's one difficulty level above my normal one.

Agreed. If we fail, we fail. *shrug* We look back at what happened, decide what worked and what didn't and start a new game.

The Tribal Council Faction, however, does not believe that we will fail, and consider such discussions before we even start as somewhat defeatist! Thus, we will focus on our success as a nation!

-- Ravensfire

Just b/c you don't prepare for the future doesn't mean it won't happen. It just means you're unprepared. ;)

Ahh, but I AM prepared. Read the first sentance you quoted, and you'll see that I've got a plan. (Mmm, and quite a cunning plan indeed!)

-- Ravensfire

Anyone keen on repolling this one too? :) Please do so now, because we got an election starting today. :)

Seems monarch won this one, proving the poll was needed.

Top Bottom