1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: RPG' started by Chieftess, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

I seriously doubt we'll hit 15 turns very often at all. We aim for 10.

2. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

ah, we said that last game too :p nevertheless, i think 4-5 events for 12-15 turns would be good. just the "always 5" even if we later on only have 2 turns or maybe even only one turn is odd.

3. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

As we have not heard from Padma in the Nobility thread, I can only assume that Diutius is now Emperor staus and that he has 13 more years to live, as he is only 42. He will also outlive his wife, who should be of Imperial status. :) I am going to play on this assumption as we've had very little input from the managers.

4. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

cyc: one problem: we dont have the appropriate techs for that yet...royal is the highest i think...
    also, note that the caste setting is for the whole family :p
    so your wive will be the same setting as you are, and as such has a even higher live expectancy, as women normally always live longer than men :pP

5. Cyc

Fine by me. I'm just trying to follow the rules. :D

6. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

7. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

Despot = Emperor. There is not tech for that.

8. Cyc

OK, Shaitan. So If I'm the Despot, I'm emperor level. Am I the only one at that level or is my immediate family there with me too.?

9. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

hmmm. we should leve those decission to padma... or ct.

10. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

11. Cyc

See what I mean about making so many rules? By the time we get any answers about anything that's happened within the last twenty years, everybodies dead!

12. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

ooc@the game manager:
    i am pretty concerned about the recent tendency to "tune" the rules against the people to their disadvantage.
    example:
    octavian plans to cut down tile income (which is not his job at all) and to disallow legions as units (which he should have done after the last TC).
    he was requested often enough to give comment on troop raising, but a manager who is quiet for days after days and suddenly pops up and deletes everything done within those days can heavily disrupt the game.

i would not comment on that if he had posted the "no legions until iron connected" when it was discussed in his thread. nor if stuck would have announced the "income cut" as soon as the first incomes were posted.
    but now we had several days going with people calculating income, making plans, raising troops.... the work of those people would be destroyed with one silly blow.

we should stick with the principle of the previous game:
    all existing things which were done within the ruleset will continue to exist.

13. Cyc

Let's stop making new rules until we get this damn thing figured out. This is getting to the point of being rediculous. Stop!

14. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

rules would have prevented the situation which we have not in conflict-management.
    if the basic settings (heck, we dont even have a rule on upgrading units!) would have been thought about in advance, we would have all been clear.

nothing against tuning the rules in general. but as soon as someone has used the rule the manager has to put in his veto!
    not wait several days until all people already used the rules.

15. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

I'd stop with the rules totally. We have once again gotten so far away from storytelling that it's getting tedious. At this point I can't even contribute. I had an excellent thing going with the Witch Doctors but I barely have time to establish a character, much less have him do something, before he dies. The rest is essentially a turbo version of "The Dating (Mating?) Game".

More complexity isn't needed. More stories are. To get more stories the characters need to be around long enough to care about them and for them to be recognized.

16. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

URGENT ISSUE FOR THE GAME MANAGER:

we have a conflicting rule between two departments:
    the land management sais that before currency, commerce from tiles can be converted to shield or gold on a 1:2 base...
    but conflict management does not accept this converted shield/food resources for units.

as this is rather crazy, please do a final ruling on the issue.
    (contact stuck and octavian for details if you wish)

17. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Shaitran is right. There is virtually no story-telling. No one is alive long enough to start a good story. Or once they do, they get killed off. Making everything complex is killing the stories.

18. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

I don't mind characters that die after a few turnchats, it makes everything dynamic.

19. Cyc

In posts #32 & #36, Dis makes good points.

Military production is NOW being held up because Octavian X doesn't want the gold produced from land tiles to be converted into shields or food. This goes directly against the ruleset. And I quote:

7. Land provides a number of gold, shields and food that it would generate if worked in a city. If no city controlled by the tile owner can access the tile it never makes more than what is shown when right clicking on the tile in the game. Gold can be converted to food or shields with one gold making 1/2 of either. If currency hasn’t been discovered yet all gold produced must be taken as shields or food.

8. Cities produce the number of gold, shields and food for the tile they reside on plus an additional gold for each population point.

Addition
    9. A land registry may not be kept until MapMaking.

9. A single contiguous land territory that has at least 5 * P (where “P” is the number of provinces in the demogame) will receive an additional gold per tile in the territory. If the territory has 10 * P receives 2 gold per tile in the territory and one that has 15 * P receives 3 gold per tile in the territory.

I also included the contiguous land territory bonus rule here so there could be no fudging on that part. Gold produced is gold produced. The rules state that we can convert it. Octavian is trying to make it dificult to raise troops for the people who have gold. I do not like to be singled out like this. I sure noone does. Please rectify the situation. Thank you.

20. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Cyc - I agree with you this time. The rules clearly state that gold is to be converted to food or shields at a rate of 1 gold=1/2 food or shields. BTW, CT, please do not enact any rules prohibiting multiple countries. It will be more interesting to have many nations, as it will add the aspect of foreign affairs. If we had one nation, there would be about an eight-way struggle for one despotism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.