1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Settings Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by Sommerswerd, May 23, 2012.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

This is a thread to discuss the Game settings and what your preferences are. We may have a poll or informal vote on some of the settings at some point, but put your thoughts here to help spur the discussion.

2. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

I've mostly been in agreement with the opinions stated by other team members in the planning thread. Play like men with espionage and nukes.

3. Sommerswerd

Thank you! Exactly right ?!? What is all this whining... "we want this and that banned":rolleyes: WTF?

4. Sommerswerd

I thought it might be helpful to put some of the participants posts up on desired settings:

5. Sommerswerd

We also need a mapmaker. Ideas?

6. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Personally I'm ok with pretty much anything. Only thing I think is really important in game settings is avoiding settings that can result in teams abandoning the game. E.g. Tech Trading has relatively high probability of turning the game very boring to at least for a few teams.

7. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Is Sullla still around? We could ask him to make us a map.

8. Sommerswerd

Sulla hangs out on RB mostly AFAICT, I'm not sure, but I think he is going to actually be playing for RB so I don't think he can be Mapmaker:(

9. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

All of the well-known mapmakers are playing! :cry: And not even for CFC! :gripe:

10. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

I'm liking the settings that Poly wants.

11. Sommerswerd

Thinking about the Mapmaker dilemna (ie we aint got one and it doesn't look like we are going to get one), I was thinking about this solution and wanted to hear any thoughts you guys had before I bring it up publicly...

What if we just go with a Random Map (with agreed upon settings, Pangea, Continents, rocky, whatever) and give every team ONE (1) do-over if they want. So if your start is just so terrible, that you can't bear it, you can ask for a re-roll and a new Map with the same settings is generated.You get 24 hours to look and decide.

I am betting that with this approach, eveyone will just grudgingly take what they get and we can move on to the game. We might have to re-roll once or twice, but at worst, we re-roll once for each team.

12. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

I think 5 turns is a good number: it allows the teams to actually explore their start rather than get stuck with a great capital on a tiny island.

Is there a map script that ensures that everyone has nearby iron?

13. Sommerswerd

Just bear in mind that 5 days to decide with just 5 teams is potentially 25 days of starting over assuming that everyone uses their restart. With 10 teams its 50 days :yuck:

Another thing is, once you get your start, people want to make test maps and start running all kinds of tests and number crunching for maximum micro. It is a lot to ask them to do that for each restart while we spend 5 turns deciding whether we like our start or not.

14. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

I think a straight random map is asking for trouble. There needs to be some human directed balancing or people will complain about unfair starts etc. Allowing re-rolls would just exacerbate and complicate the problem. I could see the whole thing turning into a big mess.

If we are going to have a multi-site game we really do need a map maker. We should also try to get severals Admins that are trusted and respected on multiple sites to check the map maker's work.

15. Sommerswerd

Now you should know by now, that this will happen REGARDLESS.

The ONLY way that we can completly stop people complaining about unfair starts, is to do mirrored starts or let people design their own starts... and both these ideas have been rejected wholesale by all the teams.

There wasn't as much complaining as ususal about starts in the last MTDG, because we went with resource rich starts. I wonder if the teams can be convinced to do this again? Somehow I doubt it:rolleyes:

16. Sommerswerd

As I said before, I have asked every single Admin and moderator I could think of to serve as an Admin or Mapmaker for this game. Nobody accepted except r_rolo1 to be an Admin. There's no one else.
    So all I am saying that if you want to try to find a mapmaker, then its all you... I am all tapped out of ideas. Maybe some of these guys will respond better to you cav.:)

17. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Well the burden of finding admins/map makers doesn't have to rest solely with you or I. The rosters for the other teams seem pretty healthy and those teams will want a viable game.

I think since CFC is nominally hosting that there is an expectation that the admin functions will be taken care of by folks here at our forum. But since no one here is forthcoming we might have to ask the other forums if they have someone who could step up.

EDIT: Plako has volunteered to do the map. I think he would do a good job since he has MTDG experience and is an accomplished mp player. I would be ok with him having having lurker access to our forum also. Thoughts guys?

18. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

I am perfectly fine with Plako making the map. Much better than risking a year long game where some teams have no realistic change at all. I am also ok with giving lurker access to map maker.

19. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Yep, I'd be perfectly fine with plako. :goodjob:

20. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

In terms of game settings, consider me in agreement with whatever the majority of the team decides on. :)

Same goes for the map-making bit. I'm just glad we get a map-maker at all, as by the looks of it that has been quite a challenge.