1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Settings Extractions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Utility Programs' started by ainwood, May 13, 2004.

1. watorrey

watorrey Deity

How does this determine map size? Does it use the 'World Size' rules the map is using or does it estimate it based on tiles?

A 180x180 map made w/ bmptobic and imported to a biq file shows world size rules of 'Tiny' using Civ3multitool savegame editor. This shows world size as 'Sandard'.

I'm really trying to find an easy way to tell which World Size rules are in effect for a custom map.

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

It reads them out of the WRLD header. This is the value that will be used internally to calcuate such things as the corruption modifier and tech rate modifier.

If you want to post the BIC/BIX/BIQ, then I'll check the actual rules for you - note that it is possible to have the "wrong" world size for custom maps. I found in the COTM that importing a map into the game can set the world size modifiers equal to the size of the last map played; not the imported one.

3. watorrey

watorrey Deity

So if i use this utility to check the map size on a 1 turn saved game, that is the world size rules it's gonna use?

That import bug makes all my confusion make sense now. Sometimes it comes up tiny, other times huge or standard. I'll play with it some more till i understand it better.

Can this be modified to check the biq instead of having to start a game?

EDIT: OK... i see the only way around this is to set all the various world sizes the same depending on whatever you want the map to use. That way it doesn't matter what size map was played previously. I tested this approach and it seems to work.

Are map/mod makers generally aware of this problem?

4. ainwood

I see you've opened a bug report thread about it! :goodjob:

I could get it to read from the biq directly. Might do it if I get time, although might not solve that problem....

5. watorrey

watorrey Deity

I asked about reading from the biq before i fully understood the problem. It wouldn't be of any use because even if the info is there, it doesn't use it.

6. ainwood

Re the bug, that's what I figured. :(

However, might be useful for someone wanting to know the settings for a given scenariofile anyway. :)

7. smphang

smphang Chieftain

sigh...
    its me again, ainwood...
    out of boredom, i tried using this utility... but seems that this won't extract the seed infos from any of my saves too...
    attached is an example.
    I am begin to wonder if the culprit is actually my computer, coz i had reinstall conquest, and patched it to 1.22. (btw, the civassist still won't work for me)

8. ainwood

I'll try it with this save as well. :)

9. LAW_FREAK

LAW_FREAK Prince

Could you go a step further and make it so that it can add to the .txt file instead of making a new one, so that it could make a list of all my games.

10. ainwood

Ok - I've added a new version to the first post here. Seems some people were having problems loading saves from some C3C games. Should have fixed that now. :)

11. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Where's the full pack setup file?I install the one in the first page and it just doesn't work.No setting showed and no save can be read.

12. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Is my voice so weak?No one knows where's the full pack download?

13. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy Retired Moderator

I think ainwood is away at the moment. The setup in the first post is the only one I'm aware of. I guess you'll just have to be patient and wait for ainwood to get back and respond to this!

14. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Sigh...C'est La Vie.

15. ainwood

Sorry - I'll have to look on the FTP server to find it (will do that sometime this week).

Otherwise - you can try installing CivAssist and then just trying to run the .exe from this - I <think> they both use the same (shared) DLL...

16. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Thanks ainwood.But I can't use Civassist either,I installed it and library files,but it still doesn't work.

17. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Everytime I try to use this program, I get an error saying: Run time error '53', File not found: beast.dll.

18. ainwood

If you use CivAssit II, and right-click on the world-map view, then you can get the game settings there. :)

19. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I'm not seeing it. Was that added after the original version? :blush:

20. ainwood

It might have been added to the version which hasn't been rleased yet.... :blush::blush::blush: