Game will not close when exiting

rubble

Chieftain
I have had this issue a few time now playing the game. When selecting exit to windows the game just kinda hangs there not completely closing. The only way out of this issue is for me to ctrl-alt-delete and restart my computer. Only happened may be three times, but still annoying.

Not 100% sure, but I think each time it has happened its been after a extra long "just one more turn", session. Memory Leak?

Had the same. Plus this time it didn't load properly either, eventually got as far as the main menu, loaded my saved game. Mr Bean did his speech for my leader then, 5 minutes later, still loading. Seems to randomly hang and it's annoying, and I also had to restart using ctrl-alt-del.

Don't do hard-turn offs or restarts.

Work Around
Press CONTROL-SHIFT-ESC (Brings up task manager)
You may need to click "More Details" at the bottom if that is showing as an option.
Goto details tab
Find process CivilizationVI.exe
Right click, End Process

Perhaps to be done now as it will help later as I have had the task manager appear under the game (dumb). Under options menu, enable ALWAYS ON TOP

Once you have done this once or twice or know how to use the task manager, it will become second nature.

Not 100% sure, but I think each time it has happened its been after a extra long "just one more turn", session. Memory Leak?

Same I had the same issue. Happens after long play session. The program won't close and will sometimes revert to an earlier scene in the game when I last saved. It's as if that scene was stored on memory.

Work Around
You may need to click "More Details" at the bottom if that is showing as an option.
Goto details tab
Right click, End Process

Perhaps to be done now as it will help later as I have had the task manager appear under the game (dumb). Under options menu, enable ALWAYS ON TOP

Once you have done this once or twice or know how to use the task manager, it will become second nature.

I've tried doing that with dual monitor but you have to be sure your task manager is open on your 2nd screen. If Task manager is on the same screen as the frozen Civ6 upon exiting, it won't get priority and Civ6 will always be ontop .

Work Around
Goto details tab
Right click, End Process

I dont do a hard restart. I cant get civ to close even in task manager, and i then use task manager to restart

I dont do a hard restart. I cant get civ to close even in task manager, and i then use task manager to restart
Make sure you are on the details tab showing the list of processes as executable file names, not as program titles. I think you are on the wrong tab.

No, the problem is I can't even "see" my task manger after I start it. I just continue to see that blank screen caused be Civ 6. My task bar still shows Civ running as well as the task manger, but no matter what I click (or try cycling programs other ways) I just get that blank screen. Fortunately the start button still works and I can restart it there. Now I have a new issue, as a new or saved game wont even start, just hangs on the introduction screen? My Video drivers just updated tonight (Nvidia geforce 375.63) so I am wondering if this is causing my new issue. Going to try reinstalling Civ 6 to see if it fixes anything.

I have this problem too. I just force close with task manager every time.

@rubble the issue of getting "stuck" inside civ and Alt-tab not working... I fixed this for myself by changing from fullscreen mode to Windowed Borderless.

Obviously you have to do this at some point while the game is working ok :)

I have the same problem.

WORKING WORKAROUND (for me at least):
Don't exit straight to windows.

Exit to main menu first, then exit the game.

I find it good enough before it gets fixed.

EDITED:
Had several crashes closing the game straight to windows, happens very often.
Had no crash ever going to main menu first.

I had that a couple of times and all the instances were exiting windows after quick save. I didn't exit game too many times so it could be just a coincidence but after quick save, if i restart the menu i could exit to windows.

Same problem exiting to windows. No big deal - but annoying!

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but the workaround that did it for me was this:

Open Windows Defender, go to settings, then "exceptions" (not sure about the actual term used in English Windows-versions, I'm re-translating from a German Win 10 installation).

Then add "steam.exe" as an exception. If you have Steam installed on one partition but Civ VI on a different one, also add the "Steamapps" (or "Civ VI") folder on the other partition to the exceptions-list.
Example: My steam-exe is on drive D: (HDD), while Civ VI is installed on drive C: (SSD). I added both the steam.exe (from D: ) and the "steamapps"-folder located under C:\...\SteamLibrary to the exceptions-list.

That fixed not only the lock-up on exit for me but also another issue where the game wouldn't launch properly and/or failed to load save-games.

S.

Last edited:
Happens to me, too. Here's the workaround solution that has been working:
1. Instead of playing in Full Screen, switch to Window Mode (yes, its not as pretty, but it works)
2. When exiting, Exit to Main Menu first (do not exit directly to Desktop yet), then Quit (from Main Menu).
3. If it should still hang up giving just a blank, black screen, you can still close the 'window'. And yes, you can use the Task Manager to close it, too. Both methods work from Window mode.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited:
Can confirm that until patched a workaround is exiting to menu first then quitting to desktop _ this will not cause the game to hang.

Also remember to add Civ6 steam folder as a Windows defender exclusion for good measure to prevent loading issues like the infinite load.

Lastly, those on nvidia cards and win 10 should get the Oct /22 patched release if their drivers. Oct/20 driver release for the civ6 launch was causing a lot of Win10 stability issues.

Looks like version 375.70 which I upgraded to this morning has reintroduced the bug that 375.63 fixed!

I'm using GTX 660. Rolled back to 375.63, I don't own any of the games the update was supposed to support.

Top Bottom