Gameflood Modcontest - we would appreciate your vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prize was $3,000. The team voted on what to do with the winnings and we decided to donate it to Unicef.

The idea is generous, indeed. And it is at the team credit.

Unfortunately, on 3000usd you give to this organization, 80% will be use for:
- buying Expensive Toyota Land-Cruisers (in Mozambique: 85.000usd. They use it for bringing their experts from the airport to the Delegation)
- paying the renting fees of the locals (ex.: in a 2 houses-block, converted in office, it is 13.000usd/month)
- pay for the rent of the experts' house: 2000 to 2500usd/month
- paying the studies, reports and tons of bla bla that ar invoiced at 300000usd or 400000usd each
- paying the "experts" coming for short and nmedium term missions. A technical assistance of 2 to 3 people costs about 450000usd/year (includes al logistical expenses

At the end, only 40% will be used for actually doing something with kids. And less will reach the kids, because of corruption.

It is the problem with all official organisations as they have to pay for a lot of "fat" before reaching the flesh.
I do not say this for diminishing the merit of the action, but for replacing into context. And I know very well the context...

In any poor country I went and worked in, I always saw NGOs doing a MUCH better job than ANY official organizations. Most NGOs (example: "Doctors without borders, Handicap Internationnal, ..." use the dollar you give for exactly what was intented for, with not-so-well paid volunteers but with a big heart (and not carreer-oriented experts), with second-hand no-air-conditionner pick-ups, and lots and lots of courage without suit and tie...

Moderator Action: Thread closed. It's been two and a half months and I can see where this could end up going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom