Gameplay

silvertuerk

Chieftain
Building terrain improvements within cultural borders not adjacent to enemy units with a mouse click or two like in modern base-building games would significantly increase the speed of the gameplay. It would disable the game mechanic of stealing workers, though.

While mechanically moving from builders to "point and click improvements" is almost negligible difference, there's a lot that having builders on the map does for gameplay.
It's similar to having religious units vs "spend faith to pressure another city."
Getting rid of builders removes a certain gameplay loop that fits well with the things going on in the early game. Otherwise we would just have cities, and some military units sitting around during peacetime. It would be really boring. There's a fine line with making it tedious line traders, though, although I thinkj civ6 does it okay, assuming the game starts in the ancient. Starting late game and improving huge areas all at once is a bit annoying.

Builders are fine to have something extra going on in the map early game, but about mid-game you should unlock the ability to improve tiles without use of units. At that point the builder is becoming nothing but an annoyance.

I think that being able to queue orders would tone down on the tedium. Having to improve five tiles with five different workers other thirty turns is just so needlessly tedious. If I could split that into a single turn of me telling them what to do that would be dynamite.

And the pathing. God the pathing. Help us, God.

Top Bottom