1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gauntlet Suggestions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, Nov 2, 2011.

1. vadalaz

vadalaz King

King/Standard is probably the sweet spot then. Quick pace raises the difficulty (likely more so than going Emperor) and OCC games don't take long to play anyway. Emperor is a bit of a trade-off: more competent AIs will give you better deals, trade routes and potentially Research Agreements, but there's going to be more competiton for CSs and wonders, especially in the early game, and killing the culture leaders is a much bigger investment if you choose that route.

Pocatello is fine, though I think I'd prefer a civ with more lingering bonuses.

2. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Happy New Year, all!

I agree wholeheartedly that Standard would be the best speed, and I would also not prefer Pocatello (already omnipresent in Gauntlets and the HoF boards in general)

I will suggest Thailand. Those City-State bonuses will help out the OCC throughout the game and will make getting CS allies an even more worthy goal to fit into the strategy.

3. Lernon

Lernon Chieftain

Agreed. Any civ with CS bonuses should help with OCC.

4. aafritz17

aafritz17 Warlord Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

This quote is from the current G-Minor gauntlet:
    This raises the question - should this gauntlet stay open longer? Or maybe the better question is "When should a gauntlet be longer than a month?"

@Denniz often had one of the two run longer than just a month. I don't set the closing date for these (@Noble Zarkon, who does, is also a Civ IV Mod, and administers the Civ IV HOF, so he juggles a lot of his time), but I'm sure we could extend this through the next cycle (meaning, to the NEXT closing date, whatever that turns out to be).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  5. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Happy to extend it if that's what you guys want.

In Civ IV we try to have one of the gauntlets quite short and the other a bit longer, the latter will often run for 2 or even 3 months.

aafritz17 likes this.
  6. aafritz17

So here's an idea.

After the last update I had 5 of the 6 Veni Vidi Vici categories completed. So I set out to close the last 26 leaders. Played every one of them on the same Tiny Great Plains setup. After the first few games I was finishing in less than 50 turns and in about an hour. Surprisingly, it turned out to be quite fun. So much, in fact, that (after completing the 26) I stepped up the difficulty and played a just-for-fun round-robin between four leaders that had UUs and/or UAs useful in those first 50 turns.

By "round-robin" I mean play 4 games, one with each leader, and always with the other 3 as the opponents. Anybody know if this approach ever been used in the context of a gauntlet? I think the auto-processed scoring would pick only the top 3 games of all submitted, but I could manually calculate a score for each player submitting all 4 games, and post them as separate competition.

7. vadalaz

vadalaz King

Regarding what I said in the Minor thread, it's not that there isn't enough time to make more attempts (the game itself actually goes pretty fast once you've got a good start, as you only have one city to manage), it's just me personally not willing to dedicate any more time to rolling a good enough map. It's really tedious, and even when you've got great terrain, the first 30-40 turns might go so badly you have to reroll again.

One month duration for gauntlets has been working just fine, I think. Longer waiting times might lose the players' interest in gauntlets altogether. The HOF tables will always be there anyway, and people often submit games using past gauntlet settings years after those were actually run.

8. vadalaz

vadalaz King

How about Sweden/Huge/Diplo? The idea is to get 11 DoFs for a 110% boost to GP generation. Diplo VC fits the theme and takes long enough for the bonus to be relevant. Not sure about the difficulty or the map, probably something that doesn't require Astronomy to meet all the civs, but not too easy to just kill all but 2 AIs before Atomic era.

aafritz17 likes this.
  9. aafritz17

Sorry, dropped the ball a bit here, but the July gauntlets should now be visible in the HOF. (@Ozbenno will sticky the forum threads when he completes the update.)

Thanks, @vadalaz, for the suggestion. I made it the Major, at Emperor and on a Boreal map. Figured that all the forest and mountains at that difficulty should slow conquest some, plus the map lends a bit of realism for Sweden.

The Minor is America. When I started setting the gauntlets up, I made a spreadsheet of the last 2+ years of gauntlets. At the time there were 5 civs that hadn't been played during that period, so I have been using them in recent games (Maya, Netherlands, and England were 3 of them). America is the last one on that list, so (after playing this) we will have played all 43 civs at least once going back to September 2016. Also, America celebrates Independence Day this month (today, actually), so dominating a Frontier map in July makes sense. (To my fellow countryfolk - Happy 4ourth!)

Everybody, I do welcome your input. Those of you that are working on your VVV - make leader or map suggestions based on what you still need. Totally happy to help with that.

vadalaz likes this.
  10. aafritz17

New August gauntlets are up in the HOF.

zenmaster likes this.
  11. aafritz17

December gauntlets are visible in the HOF Gauntlet tab.