1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gedemon's Civilization, development thread

Discussion in 'Gedemon's Civilization, a total overhaul project' started by Gedemon, May 7, 2017.

1. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Knasp likes this.
  2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Big update code side, I expect some bugs
    Code:
    - initial data and code for variable number of personnel, healing rate, supply lines efficiency based on Military Organization
    And I still need to add more data, and dummy promotions to reflect the change in the units organization.

Problem is that you can add promotions using Lua, but you can't remove them... Possible workaround : recreate the unit, without the promotions you wanted to remove.

Knasp likes this.
  3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

New issue: you can't change the experience level of the unit, the new unit is set at level 1, and will be able to choose a new promotion after gaining 15XP even if it was at level 3.

And I suppose that all "promotions" from natural wonders will be lost...

Well, that's the lesser of two evil, so I'm going for recreated units.

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Small update on GitHub:
    Code:
    - add specific promotions to unit's military organization level, one to represent the strength in numbers, another to represent the better organization.
    - a few bug fixes
    The "military" civics* unlock the new organization levels, new units and units in range of cities will get the new level automatically, the units outside the range of your cities will stay at the previous level.

*Military Tradition, Military Training, Feudalism, Mercenaries, Nationalism, Mobilization, Cold War, Rapid Deployment

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

New update, we have a prototype for units upgrade !
    Code:
    - prototype for smooth units upgrade (only Warrior<->Spearmen<->Swordsmen for now)
    - "chariots" are now representing "Horses + Chariot", "War Horses" being available with "Horseback Riding"
    - simplified land classes in preparation for a full range of units (Melee, Skirmisher, Cavalry, Siege)
    - a few bug fixes
    Spoiler A warrior after plundering a Barbarian camp :
    001.jpg

Spoiler Now it has more swords than blunt weapons in frontline... :
    002.jpg

Spoiler Look, a Swordsmen unit ! :
    003.jpg

Knasp likes this.
  6. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

Nice! In the third image the Swordsmen unit still has older weapons in the frontline, but plenty of extra Swords in the camp. Will everyone equip themselves with Swords the following turn?

7. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Not yet, transfer happens only when healing ATM, but exchanging equipment even when at full health is my next thing to code.

8. turboraton

turboraton Chieftain

Hey there friend Gedemon. I tried your mod and it has a cool ideas, quick bug report tho. An enemy civ captured one of my city and it showed a lot of errors like notifications, game crashed soon after.

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

There was a few bugs with the 2-3 last versions, as the changes to the base code were huge, the new update may be a bit better, but don't excpect saved games to be compatible with new versions at this point of development.

I'd like some feedback on the new update, it should provide a small upgrade path up to the middle age, let me know how it feels (and if you still get errors on city capture)

Uploaded on GitHub
    Code:
    - remove unused units
    - add equipment for Knights, Pikeman, Crossbowmen and Slingers
    - allow exchange of equipment between frontline and reserve (the best equipment being send to frontline) outside healing
    - neutralize vanilla housing values
    - add mechanism to respawn a goody hut in a remote location each time one is removed (until Renaissance)
    - balance Goody Huts and Barbarian Camps loots
    - some bug fixes

10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

And I've begun the work on the next step: construction costs, starting by the Construction Panel UI:
    Clipboard-10.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

The current version is still a bit too buggy for my taste (even for a pre-alpha I mean), but the construction (and reinforcement) costs are now coded.

I'm stopping debugging for tonight, and GitHub is updated
    Code:
    - Code construction and reinforcement costs based on cities cost per unit of resource
    - Allow adjacent units to exchange equipment
    - Add a simplified Account Log to players/cities/units
    - Tweak Wooden Spears cost and production
    - Raise Technologies and Civics research cost, lower Boost
    - Raise starting gold (*100)
    - A lot (but not enough) bug fixes

Spoiler Top Panel gold tooltip :
    Clipboard-13.jpg

And here is why you'll have to avoid shortages (yes, it may be a bit too much ATM)
    Spoiler Not enough materiel :

Clipboard-15.jpg
    Clipboard-16.jpg
    Clipboard-18.jpg
    Clipboard-19.jpg
    Clipboard-20.jpg Clipboard-21.jpg

Cost goes down when the shortage is ended
    Spoiler :
    Clipboard-22.jpg

I need to get back to the design threads, a lot of good ideas, I'd like to discuss them more, especially in relation with population, I've the feeling that I can't conceptualize the other parts before that one is more shaped.

12. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

New update on gitHub, mostly bug hunting, I can do 100+ turns in autoplay now...
    Code:
    - bugfix : resources base cost should not be 0
    - bugfix : resume delayed equipment initialization ASAP after the city production events are called
    - bugfix : remove the correct number of equipment from frontline when updating an unit (from organization level or equipment type)
    - bugfix : update UnitFlagManager.lua to the last patch
    - the mod now keeps up to 5 autosaves (after all table are saved), in case the vanilla autosaves are corrupted
    - lower the length of the WARNING display (I've been a bit paranoid, many are false positive, but I'm still interested in ERROR messages)

13. stimprunk

stimprunk Chieftain

Hello!

I have some idea about population and economy.
    You separate 3 class. Low, middle and hi.
    Low class is peasant. They only can work around city and can only gathering resourse and produce food. Your city can work as many tiles as you have low class population.

Middle class it's craftsman and traders. They cannt produce food and work around city. They locate in city center and produce goods from resource. Also they produce weapons, equipment and other goods.

Hi class it's administrators, landowner, army officers, slaveholder. They not producing goods. Can only consume goods.

About economy. Each class in each city should be separate budget. How it works.
    Low class gathering resource and food. They sell food and resource at city and get some gold which they can spent to buy axe for woodcutting or hourse for farm. They cannt producing wood without axe (stone axe forexample). For not multipy goods can use tools (cilic version of equipment).
    Also at start of game (before capitalism) all gathering resource turn to city for free. So before capitalism low class can gathering self gold only for foods. Economy relation should be change via card system.

Middle class buying resorce and food, producing goods and selling goods. If having gold they also buying food to grow.

Hi class bot producing goods. But they need to consume much more than other class. I think they need to have percent of city revenue.
    About they aim. It could be maintaining order, increase effectivness other class, army morale and other.

All class can buying goods within it budget. If budget empty start starvation.

Food. Each class need food. They can buy food same other goods. Food need to grow each class separately.

Stumper question for me. How city produce culture and sience. What class should be do it? What goods are need for it? How rich city can boost it?

P.S.: If you didn't understand my explanation I can print some picture for this.

14. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Roman Pleb

It is a bit difficult to understand what you're trying to say. What is your native language? Maybe someone can help you.

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I can't change the number of worked tiles based on my mod's data, so I must adapt my mod's data to the number of tiles that can be worked instead.

I have some ideas about that, I'll try to post an update on the Population thread ASAP, I will need feedback on the design.

16. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Update on gitHub
    Code:
    - initial work on Rural Population and Activity Types
    - bug fix : make sure units spawn without free equipment in reserve
    - crash fix : does not move camera on a dead unit
    - bug fix : show (previous turn) Import income in TopPanel Gold Tooltip
    - bug fix : add (previous turn) Import income to the Gold Per Turn value.

Knasp likes this.
  17. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

Very ambitious! I like what you are doing here Gedemon. This is a mod to get excited about!

I like what you are doing with trade routes. Would it be too much to ask to release that as a mod component?

Suggestion: instead of trading resources and gold in leader diplomacy, establish trade routes instead. Example: Leader A would offer open borders in exchange for two trade routes from Leader B.

18. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Which part of the trade routes system would you like to put in a mod component exactly ?

Not that I have the time to do it, but I can give some indication on how difficult it would be and the prerequisites.

You can't directly trade resources vs gold in the mod, open border is the way to get trade routes (and access to another player's resources)

ATM all resources are traded following those routes, but I plan to make them limited by type and diplomatic status (like friendly for strategic resources, allied for equipment resources)

19. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Civ is brain candy.

I was just referring to trading resources over trade routes. Just seems like a more logical way to trade resources.

20. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

It is more logical, but I have no idea on how to link it to the base game's resource management (trading, effects), the mod remove it completely and replace it by it's own.

dunkleosteus likes this.