Generals should be enhanced in new expansion

donhenriko

NQ Officer
*I posted this thread under "Ideas and Suggestions" as well, but I feel the MP community's opinion is more important to me*

Do you think it would work in MP games?

Generals in Civ V should get experience from war.

Example: General gets xp when a friendly unit within his sphere of influence gets xp,
but needs alot more exp to increase in level: lets say 1st level 100 xp, 2nd level 300 exp, 3 lv 600 4lv 1000 etc.

What kind of upgrades the general can get is up for discussion.

What you guys think??

P.S. I also think Civ V developers should include Admirals (generals that work on oceans and sea tiles) in the next expansion.

*I posted this thread under "Ideas and Suggestions" as well, but I feel the MP community's opinion is more important to me*

Do you think it would work in MP games?

Generals in Civ V should get experience from war.

Example: General gets xp when a friendly unit within his sphere of influence gets xp,
but needs alot more exp to increase in level: lets say 1st level 100 xp, 2nd level 300 exp, 3 lv 600 4lv 1000 etc.

What kind of upgrades the general can get is up for discussion.

What you guys think??

P.S. I also think Civ V developers should include Admirals (generals that work on oceans and sea tiles) in the next expansion.

I agree, get some benefit from xp. But I don't think they should get too much of a boost for game balance purposes. Imagine facing a Chinese general with tons of xp...

I think you should be able to tandem a general to a unit. For example, I am sure the general can hop on a horse and keep up with those knights.

Do Great Generals not work for ocean units?
No they don't.

That Admiral idea from the OP sounds great, especially since naval combat already is improved a lot (melee/city capture-ships have been announced).

I also like the leveling idea. However it should be a really minor bonus probably due to balance. Some examples for GG promotions:
+1 movement
+1 sight
+retreat ability (similar to what incan slingers have)

+5% dmg reduction from ranged attacks (take cover i) <-- granted to all units in combat bonus range
+10% (dmg reduction from ranged attacks (take cover ii) <-- granted to all units in combat bonus range (10% being the total, not 15%)

In theory the same would go for any of the normal unit promotions like ambush, formation and siege. However maybe it should be only 1 level, not 2 (so 5% = max) and I think shock and drill would be too good (so they'd have to be excluded).

Another idea:
A pillage promotion that could work in two ways, either:
When a tile in the GGs range is pillaged the amount of money pillaged is doubled (pillage usually gives between around 5 and 15 gold at the moment). Or:
+1-3 gold gained for every kill a unit makes while receiving combat bonuses from that GG.

Same could probably work for culture and moreover religion (religion seems more realistic than culture). Spinning it further when I think of the expansion (yes, every line I wrote suddenly something new came to mind^^): A GG could get a promotion that helps to detect agents/spys (depends on how they actually work - we don't know that yet).

Some more:
-Promotion for a GG that enables him to build roads (like a roman legion). HOWEVER: This could just be a basic ability of a great engineer too (and it should be done in 1 turn, just because usually you want to actually use a GE to hurry production or for a manufactory pretty much asap). Likewise Great Merchants could be able to construct trading posts.
I'd actually like that very much. Would either work for all civs or as some part of a UA (unique ability) for a specific civ (Holland comes to mind for the latter for e.g.).
-A great artist could grant +1 happiness while stationed in a city.

I agree, get some benefit from xp. But I don't think they should get too much of a boost for game balance purposes. Imagine facing a Chinese general with tons of xp...

I think you should be able to tandem a general to a unit. For example, I am sure the general can hop on a horse and keep up with those knights.

Yes I agree, the upgrades can't be too powerful. But still, FeiLing's post concerning potential GG upgrades is a very good starting point; not too powerful at all! I would also like to see some 6-7th level (ish; 1500-2000 xp. even 2500-3000; idk what's not too powerful) super upgrade that is very powerful. The possibilities are almost endless ! :)

I also think that it's very natural for a general to gain experience. A general that has received 3000 xp should be stronger than a general that has received none. Take for example Napoleon. I personally believe that he grew as a general in the course of his conquests. He was a better general in the end of his career than he was in the beginning.

IMHO, Admirals should be included and work in a similar way :)

Top Bottom