Genetic AI Project

The Great Apple said:
It does a save automatically at the start of every game (default game behaviour). I'll disable that for the next version, as it's redundant anyway.

But then if I have to stop the AI dont save anything at all and I have to start from beginning? lol
And can you explain to me asomething please, If I start a game, but then want to play by myself, I just dont press ctrl+shift+x right? but then my save games wont be compatible and I will just lose all my work till then? 0.o
And I can take over a game that AI was palying in the middle of it without any problems??

And you think it would work with sevo mod+kelgir addon? xD

There are two different types of saving going on.

1) Normal saving. These are normal save files used by the game. Loading one of these and attempting to use this mod with it will cause crashes. This is the thing that is suspeted of causing the runtime error (though I can't think why).

2) AI saving. This is completely independant of normal saving, and it done whenever a player wins a game.

If you want to play by yourself then CTRL-SHIFT-X works, yes, and should be fine. Getting the AI to play for a few turns, then taking control, then getting the AI to play is not so fine - this might give quite biased results.

I very much doubt any non-graphcial mods would work. As mentioned in the first post, I've removed just about all of the python events and callbacks to eek out a bit more performance. It would also skew the results.

Once I've got the source-code tidied up a bit (and patched a bit), I'll release it so that anybody who wants to can run this for their mod. It'd likely learn alot faster for a mod, as the original values are already directed at the standard game rules.

The Great Apple said:
There are two different types of saving going on.

1) Normal saving. These are normal save files used by the game. Loading one of these and attempting to use this mod with it will cause crashes. This is the thing that is suspeted of causing the runtime error (though I can't think why).

2) AI saving. This is completely independant of normal saving, and it done whenever a player wins a game.

If you want to play by yourself then CTRL-SHIFT-X works, yes, and should be fine. Getting the AI to play for a few turns, then taking control, then getting the AI to play is not so fine - this might give quite biased results.

I very much doubt any non-graphcial mods would work. As mentioned in the first post, I've removed just about all of the python events and callbacks to eek out a bit more performance. It would also skew the results.

Once I've got the source-code tidied up a bit (and patched a bit), I'll release it so that anybody who wants to can run this for their mod. It'd likely learn alot faster for a mod, as the original values are already directed at the standard game rules.

So when its finished I can put on my favorite mod? Great :)

And if I do ctrl+shift+x and pay the game by myself till the end, the saves will work or not?

The Great Apple said:
The savegames won't work. The AI recording will, but the in-game saves won't.

So till you fix it I can only play late games I guess lol, cuz no time, hum, could be fun anyway :p
but wont it mess up the results? but if i want to play without mess up the results, I bette make a backup of yuor folder before play no? then when i finish my game I delete that folder andput back the original :)

It might mess up the results. The AI's you're playing against may do worse as a result of you playing. However, if an AI can't play well against a human what use is it?

Problems come in when you play a strint in the middle and then let the AI finish it off. The AI will be saved as if it had played the whole game, which it hasn't.

Save game compatablilty may come in about a week. I've just thought of an excellent way of doing it, so it might be even sooner.

The Great Apple said:
It might mess up the results. The AI's you're playing against may do worse as a result of you playing. However, if an AI can't play well against a human what use is it?

Problems come in when you play a strint in the middle and then let the AI finish it off. The AI will be saved as if it had played the whole game, which it hasn't.

Save game compatablilty may come in about a week. I've just thought of an excellent way of doing it, so it might be even sooner.

Hum, so true :) But I wont be playing a whole game if I cant save hehe, so I might so just what I said till you fix that issue..

Arlborn said:
Hum, so true :) But I wont be playing a whole game if I cant save hehe, so I might so just what I said till you fix that issue..
Well my fixing method is very simple (about 100 lines of code, most copied from elsewhere). I'm going to test it, and it might just make the next patch, which I'm planning on releasing a few hours.

Other improvements include a fairly substantial performance enhancement allround (which will mostly help long strings of games), no more randomization of map settings, and an improved restart script, which (I hope) has removed the possiblilty of negative scores and carried-over contacts/terrain vision. I'm currently testing it with a bunch of games.

The Great Apple said:
Well my fixing method is very simple (about 100 lines of code, most copied from elsewhere). I'm going to test it, and it might just make the next patch, which I'm planning on releasing a few hours.

Other improvements include a fairly substantial performance enhancement allround (which will mostly help long strings of games), no more randomization of map settings, and an improved restart script, which (I hope) has removed the possiblilty of negative scores and carried-over contacts/terrain vision. I'm currently testing it with a bunch of games.

Will it be compatible with my AI saved? OR my AI saved will become crap after it? Or I can finish my test in the older version and send for you anyway and it wont make difference for you?

I ran into an interesting problem while testing out the AI, upon the completion of the first game, the flags for each AI were still for the civ they were the previous game but they were the correct color, etc. and more importantly, the barbs started out in the modern era! A barb city founded islam and taoism and i noticed a barb grenadier attack me in 275ish AD. The barbs generated in the fog come out correctly but the ones they build in their cities are much more advanced than what the other civs field. It didnt make much difference as they dont build much in their cities to attack, but it could cause trouble later in the game or with bad luck with the barb activity.

When i first happened to see the message "a barbarian grenadier has killed one of our archers", i thought it may have just been an asset mixup similar to the flags, but i moved the map up to a barb city and it's art was skyscrapers and had founded islam and taoism. Suppose this could potentially throw things off, especially if various things carry over from game to game to game.

shiremct said:
I ran into an interesting problem while testing out the AI, upon the completion of the first game, the flags for each AI were still for the civ they were the previous game but they were the correct color, etc. and more importantly, the barbs started out in the modern era! A barb city founded islam and taoism and i noticed a barb grenadier attack me in 275ish AD. The barbs generated in the fog come out correctly but the ones they build in their cities are much more advanced than what the other civs field. It didnt make much difference as they dont build much in their cities to attack, but it could cause trouble later in the game or with bad luck with the barb activity.

When i first happened to see the message "a barbarian grenadier has killed one of our archers", i thought it may have just been an asset mixup similar to the flags, but i moved the map up to a barb city and it's art was skyscrapers and had founded islam and taoism. Suppose this could potentially throw things off, especially if various things carry over from game to game to game.
I got those problems too, the flags mixup and super tech barbs.

One game I saw had a barb city which had founded Judaism, Taoism, and Islam.

shiremct said:

Oh man I just perceived now, I have te same....Well barbarian granadier atking me when the max I had was knights and yes they have a city founder of 2 Religions********* 0.o

shiremct said:

I thought I noticed a suspiciously large number of barb cities...I wonder if that was it. Also, I didn't mention before but in one game the barbs were unable to take an AI's city despite having 3 archers inside with none of the civ's units there. I created a unit from my civ and razed the city, which worked fine. On the other hand, I have seen other times where barbs have taken cities using this mod.

Welcome to CFC!

The flags is an odd one. I have no idea why it does that - everything seems to be set correctly, but it comes out with the wrong flag. It doesn't seem to have any effect, so I've been ignoring it.

Good spot on the barbs - I think I might know the problem, and I'll see about fixing it.

Arlborn said:
Will it be compatible with my AI saved? OR my AI saved will become crap after it? Or I can finish my test in the older version and send for you anyway and it wont make difference for you?
Yes, all thre AI data collected so far will remain compatable. Saved games made before the changes still won't be loadable.

Genetic AI - what a great idea... would you believe that I thought that this would be the norm in the industry?

Here is a question for you (before i download and start running some games):

Is it possible to train individual AI's to a particular civ (or set of traits:phi/Org)?

Thanks for your work...

ps - you have two aidata1's with different size files

It would be, but I'd have to revamp the system somewhat. Currently the leader of the Civ isn't taken into account, or recorded in any way. It's certainly a good idea, and I'll have to think about it some more.

My aim is to keep the AI's personalities still playing a fairly major role, but make their general play better. I've a feeling that I might get value inflation to override the personalities, which is a pain to overcome (have to normalise the values from time to time probably).

suspendinlight said:
Also, I didn't mention before but in one game the barbs were unable to take an AI's city despite having 3 archers inside with none of the civ's units there. I created a unit from my civ and razed the city, which worked fine. On the other hand, I have seen other times where barbs have taken cities using this mod.
No idea what that could have been. Flag error maybe?

Turns out the method I was using for load/save compatability doesn't work, so it's going to be a slightly more complicated solution.

Patch released.

v0.26
*Several performance tweaks
*No more setting randomization
*Improved restart script - barbs now reinitiate correctly, contacts and vision are reset correctly.
*No more CTD on incorrect AI load. Instead it tells you that you have loaded them incorrectly.

Not to push, how close to a Warlords codebase of this?

Top Bottom