[GS] Geothermal Fissures provide +2 to Campus

Sostratus

Deity
Am I the only person who didn't notice this right away?
upload_2019-3-5_12-16-26.png

I thought fissures were hot garbage pun intended since they mostly block my district placement or terrace farms, but would you look at that!

Sometimes you can even get lucky:
upload_2019-3-5_12-17-59.png

Not as useless as I thought! Although for what they are, they should really let you do something with them. Like unlock the Geothermal Plant earlier (electricity?) and maybe let those Roman Baths be built on the tile itself for an extra bonus :mischief:

Yeah, it's really annoying to see a tile right from the start, but with literally nothing you can do with them until the modern era.

I'd almost rather they didn't unlock to be visible until the industrial era or so, so you don't have stuff blocked if you already have plans for the tile. And then as well, if there was an alternate improvement for them, like a thermal spa that gives tourism and amenities (and extra amenities if next to a ski hill).

They also boost Aqueducts.
The AQ is very in your face about this. I like that. But did they really advertise that campuses get this now? Similar to how Fishing boats get production from seasteads in addition to seasteads getting prod from fishing boats. It's very lowkey and the civilopedia really doesn't call it out; although for the campus it's easy to notice when you go to place one. I guess I never had much fissures near campuses for a few games.

Yeah, I made a mistake that you could put an aqueduct ON TOP OF IT, which doesn't work. You can plant a city on but it that makes the giant boiling hole in the earth disappear totally for some reason

it's in the seastead description thought?
It is in the civilopedia desc, yeah. When you research the tech, though, and hover over the seastead icon there, it won't show that fishing boats get a boost from them (and obviously when you place them it's not shown.)
Fishing boats do show the trait but I doubt many players hover over fishing boats in the tech tree after 2.5 years :lol:

Yeah, and by the time Seasteads come around, I've usually harvested most of my fish and crabs. Not sure I would ever have noticed that.

I did however, recently notice that the fishing boats pantheon applies to the fish farms Liang lets you build. +1 production on every coast tile? Yes, please!

I feel like there not being an ancient/classical improvement that you can put on top of it is a missed opportunity. People have been using hot springs for recreation/medicinal/religious purposes for a very, very long time and it's easy to see why. They are basically nature's sauna. According to various people up to this very day, hot springs had religious explanations in the same way that lightning or flooding or other natural phenomena did (and still do in many places). Hell, many people still believe in the mystical power of hot springs' healing abilities beyond mundane relaxation.

I had totally not noticed the bonus to campuses prior to release, if they mentioned it at all. But in my first game my second city was by two and near mountains, so when I pulled up the campus option, I was pleasantly surprised to see a +6 tile option.

And yes, an early improvement that adds perhaps one gold, one faith, and one local amenity would be nice. With an additional science down the road.

I noticed, I'm just a little sad that they seem to spawn more often near Volcanos, which means they are typically close to mountains, which typically didn't need that much help getting a good +3 or more campus.

Top Bottom