Germany Deity Photojournal CBP 12/6

randomnub

King
I wanted to try the new Statecraft since it got reworked, but had to abandon a bunch of games midway due to bugs/tuning. This looks like a good/stable enough patch to finish a game, I hope.

I don't like to start a game with a specific strategy in mind, but Germany second policy tree seems quite a given. I cannot say in advance if it's going to be a warmonger or a turtle game though, so we'll see how it evolves.

I already regret my decision to post this game, taking screenshots and commenting takes me more time than playing. Looks like there's some audience for this sort of commentaries though :)

Settings:
Spoiler :

'Vanilla experience' ones: Deity/Standard/Standard/Pangea/No Events/No Tech Trading.

First turns here (let me know if any problem/requests, future posts after a night of sleep anyway):

https://imgur.com/a/eYASd

Last edited:
Playing on king normally, this looks like a really hard start, but it seems, your doing fine.
Iam really looking forward for your future post, cause i really like germany.

https://imgur.com/a/NCTiU

Turns 75-150. I edited the previous album settings, hope they both visible; I also had to load previous saves and post again missed screenshots so lmk if the order is wrong or comments missplaced. I suck at this.

Really bad luck with CS variables but it's going to play a minor factor once I advance through eras, and probably better this way than showing a game where I early meet a religious and a cultural CS asking me to connect my own horses or kill the near death barb in the nearby camp.

By renaissance the eastern AIs are 8-10 techs ahead of me but I'm ahead of my neighbours, should have time to catch up with a late boomer civ.

You are in a really good spot! In my own game with Siam i have 30 science 40 culture and -10 happiness on turn 130. Though i commited alot to my religion and i have Sweden and Zulu as my neighbours, was struggling with defense. Also Germany always seemed a bit owerpoewered to me...

Fun fact, I made the first post public and some imgur creature found it :D Guess I'll revert part 2 to be public as well in case random boys want to see how it goes on. And making a quick commercial of this mod.

Germany is going to be overpowered if I survive the first ~100 turns without falling apart. I got pretty much nothing out of my UA yet but things are going to change... soon.

I wanted to play statecraft so I went for it. Greece/Siam probably want to go for it most of the time (at least, the new improved one, else it was Fealty all the way) but looks like there're more OldMustache fanboys here on the board.

i have 30 science 40 culture and -10 happiness on turn 130.

That's epic pace no? Else I'd be really worried :D At around that turn at standard pace (Medieval, 3/4 allies) I get ~24/32 science/culture/GAP out of my UA with a big investment in emissaries, still it makes for 20-25% of my s/c (not much early flat culture this game due to pantheon/luxuries and going authority, science I'm doing better).

Last edited:
I wanted to post my own screens with Siam, but i lost my game to Zulu. He had 85 units on turn135, and i was his only neighbour. Despite having 15 units with 3-4 promotions i had no chance.

Actually i just understood that if we compare Siam with Germany (the both are focused in Diplo, and they have similar UA - bonus yield for being allied/friendly with CS) we can see that Siam is just worse in every aspect. The only thing that Siam has is that 35 influence with any CS from upon meeting. It gives Siam a strong start, but thats it. Siam get less bonus yields for being friedly/allied with a CS, Siam's building is MUCH worse, Siam's Knights are good, but not THAT good to justify that enourmous difference compared to Germany.

Last edited:
Siam get less bonus yields for being friedly/allied with a CS, Siam's building is MUCH worse, Siam's Knights are good, but not THAT good to justify that enourmous difference compared to Germany.
I think the issue here isn't Siam being weak, its Germany being strong

Yes, i also meant that. Though Siam also seems a bit weak to me, i am desperately truing to make it work now, but i already gave up 4th game around turn 130-140. Before that i had 1 game where i managed to snowball, but that was when i conquered Korea's Fountain of Youth and had a pack of Elephant with March and healind archers behind them. They were healing 15-20 HP after attacking on enemy territoy lol

Yes, i also meant that. Though Siam also seems a bit weak to me, i am desperately truing to make it work now, but i already gave up 4th game around turn 130-140. Before that i had 1 game where i managed to snowball, but that was when i conquered Korea's Fountain of Youth and had a pack of Elephant with March and healind archers behind them. They were healing 15-20 HP after attacking on enemy territoy lol
Siam is in my top 5 for Pangea. You meet city states, you get more culture in the first 30 turns than anyone else, you snowball, you win. On continents the UA is much less impactful though

Siam is in my top 5 for Pangea. You meet city states, you get more culture in the first 30 turns than anyone else, you snowball, you win. On continents the UA is much less impactful though
Well, i am playing Pangea, but it just doesn't work for me... I also thought that Siam is cool, i used to have very solid games with it, maybe i'm just unlucky this time. I just got all 5 religions taken before turn 70, turned out there were a lot of woders with faith

Siam is in my top 5 for Pangea.

So that's already 2 civs in the top5? Meh I don't like much either, my top 5 would prob be very different, but I don't want to think about that. Just keeping it among 'diplo-civs' I'd rate Greece above both tho, good early game and in human hands the Acropolis is nuts :p

That mountain range, wow ...

What map script to I have to play to get that lucky as Inca? I always want to have that easy mode but then it is just one or two single mountains everywhere and nothing next to it...

So that's already 2 civs in the top5? Meh I don't like much either, my top 5 would prob be very different, but I don't want to think about that. Just keeping it among 'diplo-civs' I'd rate Greece above both tho, good early game and in human hands the Acropolis is nuts :p
So do i, Siam is definetely not a top5 civ on any map type. Maybe top10 but more likely top15

I put Siam in my top 5 back when the big poll was done. To be fair I haven't played Siam since some of the recent changes. I really liked him a while back because the UA generates faith pre-turn 20, which used to be really valuable because the pantheons weren't balanced, anything that let me pick a stronger option was extremely valuable. Also that top 5 rating was before the culture cost increases, which reduced snowballing, which definently makes him worse than before. Side by side the UA is so much worse than Germany's long term, if the recent changes successfully made later eras more difficult (I haven't played enough to say) I should re-evaluate that opinion.

I don't know where I'd put Germany, I find that civ pretty boring to be honest. I suppose the best civ is the most likely to win, so IDK if Germany goes there. You can definently lose games when you have a difficult early game. But if you make to renaissance and your empire isn't on fire, you basically just win. The UA's yields are extremely high, the Hanse is an amazing UB. Those extra votes are kind of BS in my opinion, its so easy to pass world religion on the first world congress, and from there you can't really be stopped.

I don't care that much for greece. I think other warmongers have better options. I mean the acropolis is broken (I don't use this word lightly) if you play the game until the later eras, but in my experience its not all that important what you do in later eras. Greece oddly enough isn't that great early on in my experience, but then again maybe recent changes to the game better balanced early game vs late game traits (Greece is ironally a late game civ in my opinion)

Last edited:
Reviewing this photojournal, interesting play on a diplomatic civ. I assume you didn't finish it before going for the next version? I wanted to see you handle the Inca's science race.

And about your truffles monopoly (0:51):

"I thought it was candy, but it was pigs!"

"It's not either of those things..."

Ye sadly new version came out quick, and it looked like editing the typo for the defense process mid game didn't work. I had to siege a defense 180 swedish city :D but blockading took it down, even if it was one-shotting my cannons.

In normal circumstances I'd say the game was won, my new navy is a nice sight (Inca has just a couple of ironclads then outdated stuff) and I have no opposition on land(I didn't upgrade into panzers yet duh, already overkill), while culture/science skyrocketed and I'm just 3 techs behind Inca now. When more Wire Services will be completed it'll be even more silly. T229 finished Imperialism and ready for Ideology, 39 votes at congress vs 39 of all combined civs, and some easy CS to free now. Just the perspective of sieging more silly bugged cities turned me down.

Spoiler :

It also usually takes me 3-4 sessions (in 3-4 days, or just a weekend if in nerd mood) to finish a game but with all the screenshotting and commenting I was going damn slow :( Hope you don't mind too much if I don't finish the game, I am positive it didn't have too much to tell left if not some good ole atomic era warmongering.

Top Bottom