Germany employing Marines...

m9x

Warlord
anybody feel like the wide mass of units should NOT be available to everybody as it is now? heck why wouldn't they provide each civ with its own unique units, like the Fallschirmjaeger for germany only, the Marines for america only, and so on and forth for EVERY single unit?

it's the standard in the total war games, while I know that they are way inferior in every other aspect but war, but civ is lacking this war uniqueness if you ask me..

I simply don't feel like playing Germany or Russia when I train Marines :/ it sucks

So basicly you want some fancy names for the same unit?

no. unique graphics, attributes, basically everything that currently is a UU for each military unit that was unique to the civ in reality.

And what sense would that make if Germany starts in the middle of a small archipelago?

Civilization is a what-if game. If Germany had been, historically, forced to wage an island war, then they would have built marines.

This idea is atrocious.

I'm only suggesting to add more historical accuracy to the units...replacing the marines for germany with fallschirmjaegers, and for russia with specnaz, for the uk with sas etc.

There's no need for that... They're all the same, fundamentally: Elite modern shock troops that have been trained to make amphibious landings. Besides, it's clear that Marine units don't represent USMC units--The American civs don't get them!

What I would like to see, though, are different Unique Units for different leaders in the same civ. I can really only think of a few, but I'm sure others would easily be able to think of more...
America:
--Roosevelt: Navy SeALs, as now.
--Washington: Minuteman (replace Musketeers, have one less strength but significantly reduced build times)
--Lincoln: Volunteer Infantry (replace Riflemen, same strength, give bonus to defense when within their own cultural borders)

France:
--Napoleon: Old Guard (replace Grenadiers, have strength as Riflemen, start with Pinch)

England:
--Churchill: RAF Fighter (replace normal Fighters, increase their Interception rate)

But realistically what you are suggesting is:
1) Increase the development costs and installation size astronomically as art assets are both the most expensive and the largest assets in computer and video games.
2) Unless you're suggesting it only be visual (graphics + name), increase the development time astronomically for testing and balancing purposes. If only visual, the development time still goes up significantly, just not as significantly.
Or
3) Decrease the number of civs drastically to compensate for 1 and 2.

All of this just for minimal flavor in a game that's not about historical realism.

I'm only suggesting to add more historical accuracy to the units...replacing the marines for germany with fallschirmjaegers, and for russia with specnaz, for the uk with sas etc.

Why would you change the Marines to SAS for the UK, when they have the Royal Marines? And FYI the Royal Marines were formed in 17th century, should the UK get Marines earlier than everyone else? ;)

1) Increase the development costs and installation size astronomically as art assets are both the most expensive and the largest assets in computer and video games.
2) Unless you're suggesting it only be visual (graphics + name), increase the development time astronomically for testing and balancing purposes. If only visual, the development time still goes up significantly, just not as significantly.
Or
yes =) you get what you pay for, right? well, total war taught me that you can have 12 civs or even more, all with different unit rosters.

I never played R:TW, but doing a quick search via google I can see that units within an army are mostly just artistic variations. Whereas in Civ4, every unit has completely original art.

--Washington: Minuteman (replace Musketeers, have one less strength but significantly reduced build times)

Or, +defense against riflemen OR pinch OR free CGI.

I like your idea!

but Britain invented the marine.......

What I would like to see, though, are different Unique Units for different leaders in the same civ. I can really only think of a few, but I'm sure others would easily be able to think of more...
America:
--Roosevelt: Navy SeALs, as now.
--Lincoln: Volunteer Infantry (replace Riflemen, same strength, give bonus to defense when within their own cultural borders)

France:
--Napoleon: Old Guard (replace Grenadiers, have strength as Riflemen, start with Pinch)

England:
--Churchill: RAF Fighter (replace normal Fighters, increase their Interception rate)

Yes, this idea has been raised before. It's a good one.

Maybe Lizzie could have a Seadog- replaces caravel , has privateering abilliites.

Or

All of this just for minimal flavor in a game that's not about historical realism.

Yes, the game spans over a too great length and many of the civs in the game either didn´t exist in the beginning, or don´t exist anymore in the modern times. So it might be difficult to find appropriate names and values for many units in many time perods.

Aside from the fact that Civ would have by far more unit types that RTW or MTW2 if every civ would get its own version of a certain unit.

Top Bottom