Germany Social Policies

Carl5872

Prince
I wanted to get your thoughts on which social policies to pursue as Germany. I know that Honor is fairly obvious, and probably autocracy since Germany is a Warmonger Civ, but I wasnt sure what others to choose. My basic strategy with them, and please offer improvements, is to start by building a scout, then a monument, then a worker, and then spamming warriors and going after barbarians. I take the Honor social policy and research what will give me luxury resources. When I accumulate enough gold, I will buy a barracks.

I wait until I have 6 soldiers from a combination of building and barbarian conversion, I blitz my nearest neighbor's capital. If they have a second or 3rd city I will take the capital and leave them with 1 city so I don't get a penalty for eliminating a civ.

This severely taps my city gold income because of the large army, but I do get gold from camps.

After that conquest I dont know what comes next.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your going after Domination victory in this one (and not simply science with enlarged territory).

Piety is a really good second tree in this case. (For the Extra happiness; also some minor gold benefits. Also when going after Domination victory RAs will dry up anyway.)

Commerce + autocracy cheap unit purchasing

In theory sounds fine, but in practice are you really going to hit the social policy in Autocracy that allows cheap unit rushing if you've already completed the right half of the commerce tree in time to be of use (especially if you already have Honor)?

In theory sounds fine, but in practice are you really going to hit the social policy in Autocracy that allows cheap unit rushing if you've already completed the right half of the commerce tree in time to be of use (especially if you already have Honor)?

I've already done it, Atomic Bombs at 620 gold FTW.

I've already done it, Atomic Bombs at 620 gold FTW.

I actually meant more along the lines of did the cheap new units spend up your victory by 30+ turns on standard speed / 45+ turns epic / 90+ on marathon?

I actually meant more along the lines of did the cheap new units spend up your victory by 30+ turns on standard speed / 45+ turns epic / 90+ on marathon?

Kind of, I don't want to know what would have happened if Russia kept using it's Jet fighters to kill everything I had.

Yes its usefull for atomic bombs or missles you just buy them at a city you just conquered and use them against the units.

I like Germany's units and all but does anyone play Germany just to play as a war monger all that much?

I'm pretty much a warm monger every time I play but I've not found Germany all that compelling. I like them but I tend to take other folks like Japan or someone with the economic bonuses to help a big civ stay sustainable rather than Germany. I don't find unit maint to be a back breaker or anything so that doesn't help a lot except maybe a really early rush. Do a lot of people play Germany just to go to war a lot?

Maybe I need to give them a try again.

I like Germany's units and all but does anyone play Germany just to play as a war monger all that much?

I'm pretty much a warm monger every time I play but I've not found Germany all that compelling. I like them but I tend to take other folks like Japan or someone with the economic bonuses to help a big civ stay sustainable rather than Germany. I don't find unit maint to be a back breaker or anything so that doesn't help a lot except maybe a really early rush. Do a lot of people play Germany just to go to war a lot?

Well, I only won as them once. But then again, I'm only winning as anybody one time as I was after Master of the Universe. (Which I now have, but still need to play one of the DLC civs: Denmark)

I typically go with Liberty, Tradition and Piety. Commerce is also nice. But then I'm not that much of warmonger.
But when I do go to war I have plenty of large cities to produce the units I need.
I've played them quite a bit actually. Germany's UA is designed for an early rush.
If your lucky you can take out a civ early. The Landsknecks aren't that good and
the Panzers come too late but are useful. Mostly I use Germany's UA to get myself an
early free army to keep the computer off my back so I can build.

After my initial rush when I take a city or a capitol I then wait until I have a solid
nation to work with. But like I said I'm not a total warmonger.
I typically wait till the medieval era when I have a large force of trained
infantry backed by crossbows and maybe some siege units.

Panzers are awesome.

Like, really, really awesome.

Played germany a couple of time, and I did a fairly quick beeline to them both times. Panzers vs Riflemen is the easiest war I've ever had. Panzers vs Infantry is barely more of a challenge. On epic, I've never had a problem taking out at least 3 civs between when I get panzers and when they're replacement comes.

The rest of germany is so-so, I must admit, especially the landsnecht which is just a little bit rubbish.

Germany's UA is not great (would be better if changed to 100% or against any barbarian, not just camps), the landsknecht is ok if you produce them in mass quantities (would be better if they also had like +1 strength or a promotion of some sort), but the Panzer is Germany's ultimate unit. With only a few panzers, you can wipe out the entire enemy army (with blitz you can do it in a turn), and then you send in the artillery to destroy the cities. Germany is an early game turtle, late game conqueror, specializing in overpowering the enemy.

the landsknecht is ok if you produce them in mass quantities (would be better if they also had like +1 strength or a promotion of some sort)

They usually get an extra +10% flanking bonus for having so many of them!

I you think Panzers are cool, try playing with the Ottomans, and upgrade their SU to mech infantry. With Blitz, they are simply freakish because the full heal when they kill something. The are the most effective land unit in the game IMO, not a poweful as a tank on the offense, but they get fortify.

One should not underestimate the fact, that by teching "civil service", you are allready pretty close to "education".
The "mass" instead of "class" solution enables Germany to keep up in sience, wich is more difficult with other "warmongers".

Add to that a good chance to be able to build early infrastructure due to reduced pressure to build worriers and less pressure to the finances due to reduced cost of upkeep.

That resultes in Germany being less of a one trick pony than most people think.
I think the Germans are one of the more versatile civs in the game.

I've tried to ICS with honor for the +1 happiness +1 from walls +1 from castle, the bonus being that with Germany you get a discount on unit costs... but then I realized that trying to build anything in this game is suicide on the higher levels and its all about conquering.

Top Bottom