• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Germany Video

Speaking to the model of Barbarossa, I wish they would have broken up the monotone armor a bit with the colored sash you see in many paintings of Barbarossa. I think a splash of color would have been really nice. His crown also seems a tiny bit small for his head like it might fly off with all of his sudden movements.
Finally, I was hoping for a truly glorious red beard but this one is just okay. Can't argue with it as it is a red beard but the picture they based it off of at least had the mustache coming out a bit more to add some layers.

All in all though I'm happy to get a break from Bismarck. :) I'd be excited to play him again in an expansion or Civ VII.

If they could pillage fishing boats in V, it's safe to assume they can. I honestly can't remember. I recall they could not attack coastal cities, however (makes sense).

You only need one envoy to get the +2 bonus form city states, and the suzerain bonus doesn't deprive the other civs of their lower envoy bonuses. Which means it's easy for everyone to get them. So what's more valuable? Generating +2 gold from a city-state you have 1 envoy with, or depriving +2 gold from 4-6 other civilizations that have an envoy with that same city-state.

This. Furthermore, one of those civs might have full suzerainty and bonuses. And they might be ahead of you in victory progress. So would you rather have that, or take the city state away from them completely and own the land (plus resources) for yourself? If it's a lux you don't have, then that alone could be amenities that are better than what the envoy would have given you.

I am so so so so pumped. Germany has always been the #1 faction I play. Rome being after that.

One of the things I've felt watching the footage was I can see always wanting to build more than 3 districts. With 12 Types total you always want more. I don't think people understand how massive this bonus is. Say you start your game, you build a Religious district to get an early relion up, then you build a harbor because you're near a cost, BOOM you've got 1 more district for the rest of the game in that city...... Are you near mountains? Guess it's science, no more districts for you. Bye bye encampment for defense in the capital, sorry commercial district.... Germany alleviates that sooo soo much. It's insane. To me this is their "Big Bonus".

!

The bonus is not That big... Everyone can have more than 3 districts per city...You could have all 12 (with just the right terrain) in one city.

The limit is the population, you only get about 1 district for every 3 pop (so you would need ~36 pop for that 12 district city...but ~33 pop for Germany)

The bonus is not That big... Everyone can have more than 3 districts per city...You could have all 12 (with just the right terrain) in one city.

The limit is the population, you only get about 1 district for every 3 pop (so you would need ~36 pop for that 12 district city...but ~33 pop for Germany)

It's a huge bonus. Remember that it applies to ALL cities. So the place you'll really see the bonus is when cities are fledglings. Everyone else needs Pop 6 for their second district. Germany can get theirs at Pop 3. That's where I think you'll see huge advantages.

It's not exactly possible to measure it in terms of percentages, but in low-Pop cities it's pretty close to a "50% advantage," in the sense that at that stage it takes half the population (you need 3, they need 6). The bonus from Population tapers from there (25%, 20%, 16%, 14%, etc.) But since Population takes more and more food to earn the higher it goes, the bonus probably holds steady at around 50%. What tapers off (probably) is the need for tons of districts in a single city.

Anyway, I can't say I've played many Civ games where I got to Population 36. It's certainly not trivial, or something most cities achieved. Maybe 1 supercity. And probably so late in the game that it no longer really mattered. Where you want a bonus like this is early, and in far flung cities, and Germany has that. I really think it's a contender for most powerful civ at present. We'll have to wait to play to find out.

Seems pretty big to me. It's the time value of yields. 2 districts vs 1 district on turn 30 is a major difference.

. I think City-states are definitely viable targets in civ6, unlike in civ5. Taking out the city-states that you aren't investing in is probably going to be a common tactic.

Agreed. Question is...do the envoys there disappear from the game? Do other civs get them back immediately? Do they come back after a certain number of turns? If it's the first one, you take envoys off the map by conquering, strategically taking city-states you aren't invested in will be a strong play.

Overall I'm pretty pumped about Germany, love an industrial powerhouse.

Ranking the importance of their bonuses, I would put:
1) Extra district vs what's normally allowed
2) Extra military policy slot
3) Hansa
4) City-state combat bonus
5) U-Boat

The U-Boat will be very nice in certain situations and to the extent anyone finds it lacking, I think they looked at the overall weight of Germany and said the bonuses from #1-3 could be so strong by themselves that we can't make the UU overly powerful. But as mentioned, there is good synergy with being a land power.

Being able to get a holy site and a campus going early at 3 pop, or a campus and a cultural district, etc, is huge. The extra military policy slot, especially early, will also be a big boost when you look at some of the +100% production of military units type of cards. I agree with other posters that said better to use this bonus with a democratic or merchant republic type of government. 5 military cards vs 4 military cards probably isn't that meaningful, but early game it should be significant.

Seems pretty big to me. It's the time value of yields. 2 districts vs 1 district on turn 30 is a major difference.

I agree its big. However
-you still need to build the extra district (its not "free")
...and more important there is not a fixed "3 districts per city" that the op thought... I was trying to correct that misinterpretation (or have someone correct me with new information available)...if there was a 3/city limit then the Imperial cities would be even More important, but it is not as important as they thought it was.

I see Germany here as an excellent "Wide" player

To be wide
..you have to get a lot of cities, many through conquest (military slot+CS bonus)
... a lot of your cities will be low population because luxury amenities only apply to a limited number of cities (extra district under pop limit)
...your districts/builders will be Expensive, because districts+builders increase in cost the more you have/produced (extra production through Hanse)

Both the extra district and card is stronger in the early game as the ratio is larger.

Being able to have 4 districts then others can have 3 is a better ratio then having 10 districts vs 9. The same is to be said about the extra card.

Hansa is very useful. As a unique district its cost is halved and it is a better version of the industrial district and production have many uses in civilization VI.

you still need to build the extra district (its not "free")

Districts however are very important. Germany extra district mean that they can build their economy however they want. They can both go for religion as well as science while other civilization can only choose one because of their district limitation.

The district bonus also means that you'll be putting the Hansa down faster on conquered cities.

Another bonus of having an extra district is Trade. The yield of a Trade Route is affected by what districts the sending and receiving cities have. Having 1 more district adds that district's associated output to the Trade Route. It makes it more lucrative to send a route to Germany than America, for instance.

And with Trade Routes come roads. And you can send your units back along those roads to attack the other civ.:satan:

Districts also have an adjacency bonus with all other districts no matter type so more districts mean better districts.

Another bonus of having an extra district is Trade. The yield of a Trade Route is affected by what districts the sending and receiving cities have. Having 1 more district adds that district's associated output to the Trade Route. It makes it more lucrative to send a route to Germany than America, for instance.

And with Trade Routes come roads. And you can send your units back along those roads to attack the other civ.:satan:

True, seems like Frederick and Cleopatra are going to be best trading friends. (and she wouldn't mind the large military)

Speaking to the model of Barbarossa, I wish they would have broken up the monotone armor a bit with the colored sash you see in many paintings of Barbarossa. I think a splash of color would have been really nice. His crown also seems a tiny bit small for his head like it might fly off with all of his sudden movements.
I get why they're not doing it (cloth physics/animations are hard), but I wish his red cape was actually draped over his shoulder like in the painting, that would really add colourful "pop" to the scene, visually break up the monotony and make him look more regal, too, instead of "just" a knight.

I really think it's a contender for most powerful civ at present. We'll have to wait to play to find out.

I agree. It reminds me of Civ 5's Poland. They had flexibility and choice on what to spend their free policies. In a similar way, Civ 6's Germany has flexibility on what to throw down as a quicker, faster district or what military card. They aren't constricted by set bonuses.

In addition, production bonuses tend to scale better than other yields (except maybe growth or science). High production means faster everything. Again, flexibility.

Compare to Brazil, likely another contender for top Civ, yet they are constricted by needing rain forest tiles.

Bonus seems plenty big to me. Timing is everything in civ and the highest pop city I saw in the most recent slew of playthroughs by turn 120ish on quick, so just about half-way through a game was pop 11.

If that remains a relatively standard rate of progression then that means the average civ will have cities that can only hose about 4 districts as late as the beginning of the the industrial age. We know it's the industrial era + that brings excess levels of housing that should enable great growth capabilities.

These considerations make the german ability stronger than you might thing. It's not about the totals every city can reach - it's how quickly they'll reach certain thresholds.

Newly settle cities can build 1 district until they grow to pop 3 for their second district, then pop 6ish for their 3rd. (if the rates are exactly 3 - personally I think they're tied to the amenity penalties but I haven't checked on this).

Yet Germany can build their second district immediately after building their first one if they want. Meaning they'll be recouping several turns worth of bonuses more than every other civ for the entire course of the game.

Bonus seems plenty big to me. Timing is everything in civ and the highest pop city I saw in the most recent slew of playthroughs by turn 120ish on quick, so just about half-way through a game was pop 11.

If that remains a relatively standard rate of progression then that means the average civ will have cities that can only hose about 4 districts as late as the beginning of the the industrial age. We know it's the industrial era + that brings excess levels of housing that should enable great growth capabilities.

These considerations make the german ability stronger than you might thing. It's not about the totals every city can reach - it's how quickly they'll reach certain thresholds.

Newly settle cities can build 1 district until they grow to pop 3 for their second district, then pop 6ish for their 3rd. (if the rates are exactly 3 - personally I think they're tied to the amenity penalties but I haven't checked on this).

Yet Germany can build their second district immediately after building their first one if they want. Meaning they'll be recouping several turns worth of bonuses more than every other civ for the entire course of the game.

Its a big bonus.... however not as big as the op thought.

The op thought cities were limited to 3 districts for the whole game.

For example, Civ5 Babylon gets a Great Scientist from writing... this is really big, but not as big as it seems to someone who says "Babylon's GS is so powerful, no one else gets Great Scientists"

Germany's +1 extra district population limit is very powerful, but everyone can get a city with 3, 4, 6, 9, or even 'with the right circumstances' 12 district

Cmon man, no Panzers? CiV's Panzerkampfwagen VI was an excellent match. Although U-Boat is also historically relevant, I would prefer tanks over submarines.

Top Bottom