Getting warned: to many units?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Hi everyone. Ok, I'm officially confused. I'm playing America on prince going for a domination victory. I'm about 180 turns in. But as soon as I get an average size military I get the warning "Stop building military units" (roughly). And my gold starts plummeting. Then I have to start killing units for the gold! Crap!

The part that I don't understand is, that just 2 weeks ago I was playing The Huns. And I'm sure I had 50+ military units, and I didn't get a warning. With America I had 18-20. So what's the deal? Also the match before this one I had about 70 units. What dictates the number of units I can have???

I'm getting warned with less units, and getting total approval when I have many units. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks for you time.

While I can't say I have ever seen that message it sounds like you have to many troops + workers + great people than your population can support. How many cities do you have and what is your overall population like? I think it is the military overview window that will show you how many people you have and how many you can support. I don't remember off hand what the formula is but that shouldn't be to hard to google.

In the standard-pace / standard-size game I'm playing right now, it looks like it's (7 base) + (2 per city, which includes puppets) + (0.5 per population, rounded down). The military overview toggles with F3, or you can click the shield icon near the top right (at least that's where it is in EUI).

Yes, thanks for your help. I found the military window. It appears I can have about 18 units. I was attacked mid gamish about 200 turns by Denmark, and they will not relent. That's why I was building war units like crazy until the ai shut me down. Oh well live and learn. I wonder if I switched my focus to food and get my pop up would that help. I did notice 1 thing on my last few games, if I'm building a lot of wonders, I seem to have no cap on my units.....i don't why this is. Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Top Bottom