Counterplay to privateer rushes ?

I don't think it's super relevant but I'm playing TAC

Anyway, I keep getting raided by privateers before I have a chance to build up a navy, effectively blockading me from ever trading with Europe.
So like, what do you do when another faction has privateers out and you have no naval units at all (since they killed your caravel and whatever other naval units you had) and no gold to buy one ?

That you are playing TAC is relevant. I haven't seen any CPU privateers in vanilla

Recently played some TAC, here are my thoughts:
1. Cheese strat: Beat them to the privateer rush (caravel -> privateer x2 or galleon -> privateer x2) and annihilate them first. This is a very strong strategy; after you destroy their last ship, call it a victory and move on to the next game.
2. General solution: Buy a frigate (ships x2-3 -> frigate) and park it on your main exit point (move everything to that city by caravan or short sea hops). It'll eat privateers alive and you really just need one. You can continue playing the game normally after.
3. Long shot: Buy 1-2 galleons and get the FF Giovanni, he's available relatively early. These are tough nuts for privateers; even if one goes down, another should be able to swoop in to eliminate the offender (unlucky rolls could land you in the same position). If all goes well, take strength promotions and use them as double-duty cargo ships and privateer hunters.

If you can't afford these strats, then focus on improving your economic opening strategy first.

Thowaway tip: Coast gives +10% strength when defending, manually driving your ships can give you an edge in the long run.

Top Bottom