1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Giant Earth Map - Version 4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by Genghis_Kai, Dec 9, 2007.

1. smile008

smile008 Chieftain

Great map but... Civ got crashed when I'm at about 15 century and still crashes every 5-7 turnes in the end of the turn. And sometimes crashes when I want to speak to one of the leaders. BTS 3.13, latest drivers and directx... And yes, I've got Vista... I searched for this problem, some people have the same but nowhere is good answer. Compablity mode, administrative rules doesn't help. Computer specs: core 2 duo e6850, 2 gb ram, geforce 8800gtx.

2. DodgyDave

DodgyDave Warlord

playing america right now, got like 12 resources of sea food vs 36 grain stuff, so choice between sids and cereal seems obvious, but makes me wonder here!

just how many resources are there on this map that is used by both of these corporations, because its hard to decide which to go with, if Cereal produce alot more then sids then i might take that due to food, but sids also produce culture, so could boost a city as well, but if there is enough resources for them that sids will be close or not that far behind cereals then i would go with sids as i get that culture bonus as well :)

please advice here? will soon have to decide on which one to mainly use.

3. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Just check my spreadsheet. It should have MORE than enough for you to decide :)

4. DodgyDave

DodgyDave Warlord

heh, ok, so where do i like find your spreadsheet? :)

5. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

The statistic excel file that comes with the mod. Don't tell me you did not realise it is there? You've been playing my mod since day 1!

6. DodgyDave

DodgyDave Warlord

well you see, yeah lol

i just found out a few minuts before you wrote :)

7. hurahura

hurahura Chieftain

dear Genghis

I have only small note regarding to resource in Central Europe. I know its not important for whole game - but If you wish this small chance will lead to more geographical accuracy.

Until discovery of America, Europe´s largest mines for silver and gold were in cities Banska Stiavnica and Kremnica /nowdays Slovak Republic - former Austria - Ungarian empires that time/ so resource should be place lower than they are now. You should replace them near starting locations of Budapest just next to mouintains /high tatras/ not next to Warsawa.

I know its only small change but if you have time, you should do it.
    thanx

8. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Noted. Thanks for your input. I might add one silver or gold in Slovakia.

9. Firestorm94

Firestorm94 zuh?

:goodjob: I love playing as Hungary, great map for any kind of player, too bad Greece starts out at that peninsula, I just take him over at the beginning:king:

10. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Updates of the coming release.

Because of the amount of changes, the next release will be called "Version 5". At this stage , it will include the following:

1) Minor GEM modifications for better balancing.
    2) Unit ability modifications. As mentioned before, units in general can move faster and the special units of each civ will be more special.
    3) New scenarios: 200BC and 1940AD.

11. adecoy95

adecoy95 Warlord

im not shure what to do if i want to remove the unit modifications, do i delete the assets folder?

12. raja2002

raja2002 Chieftain

Dear Genghis,

cant wait for the next update and the new scenarios (esp the 200BC :) )
    when will you upload the new edition?

13. Big Heb

Big Heb Warlord

I downloaded the BtS mod and put it in the right folder. But whenever I load the mod then try and load the scenario, it tells me there is a runtime error and sends me back to the desktop. Is there any way to fix this?

14. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Some updates:

The progress on the 200BC scenario has been halted because I have shifted my attention to the 1940AD scenario. ijnavy is about to complete his 200BC on GEM anyway so I suppose the priority is not as high anyway.

Over the last couple of days, the progress on the 1940AD has been going quite well. All cities for the 1940AD has been placed. I am now calculating the appropriate city sizes for all the cities based on the actual population of each country.

Next is to place tile improvements and city constructions, which I will probably not use any reference (it is too difficult to find that kind of reference, maybe only railway network I can).

Then lastly, units will be placed. This, I would like to use more references as it really affects the accuracy of the entire scenario. I would like to ask if anyone can recommend any good reference with complete WW2 military information on the web or books I can find from libraries. Especially for those not so active countries which are very hard to find references!

15. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

Final list of nations in 1940AD scenario:

Germany
    Italy
    Britain
    France
    Netherland
    Spain
    Portugal
    Norway
    Sweden
    Finland
    Hungary
    Greece
    Russia

Turkey
    Saudi Arabia
    Egypt - vassal of Britain
    Iraq - vassal of Britain
    Iran
    India - vassal of Britain
    Thailand
    Mongolia - vassal of Russia
    Manchuria - vassal of Japan
    Japan
    China

South Africa - vassal of Britain

Australia - vassal of Britain
    New Zealand - vassal of Britain

America
    Canada - vassal of Britain
    Mexico
    Colombia
    Peru
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Chile

Minor Nations

16. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

(I'm sure you know, but) Soviet railway systems were different from the European - so they should not be connected -, as well as the general state of the Russian transport system - apart from the main Leningrad-Moscow-Vladivostok railroad - was in a fairly poor state.

http://www.euronet.nl/users/wilfried/ww2/ww2.htm has a comprehensive year by year (plus month by month) overview of the war with lots of statistics.

BTW, your civ list is impressive!;)

17. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

I didn't know that :)

Yeah, I saw the website. It has some stats, but not so complete and so very hard to use.

18. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

It has quite a lot of stats plus lots of links (although some are down). It is the most comprehensive site I could find (and I have looked around); I agree it's not user-friendly, but most sites focus on national themes. I found one inaccuracy so far: the stats for Soviet tanks at the start of Barbarossa lists 1,500 - the Russians actually had the largest tank force in the world with ca. 8,000 tanks (most of them were effectively outdated, however and were destroyed in the first months of the war; luckily production of the superior T-34 just started that same year).

On books: there some Historical Atlases of WW II, which might help if you can find one.

19. warriordude

warriordude Chieftain

"Great map but... Civ got crashed when I'm at about 15 century and still crashes every 5-7 turnes in the end of the turn. And sometimes crashes when I want to speak to one of the leaders. BTS 3.13, latest drivers and directx... And yes, I've got Vista... I searched for this problem, some people have the same but nowhere is good answer. Compablity mode, administrative rules doesn't help. Computer specs: core 2 duo e6850, 2 gb ram, geforce 8800gtx."

My PC is geforce8600 and athlon dual core, but has the exact same problem. Seems to be with the leaders, can't get past whatever year im on now(1500s somewhere). Very frustrating as I just got that punk David to capitulate.

20. Genghis_Kai

Genghis_Kai GEM modder

All I can tell is that this is sort of a known bug inherit to Civ 4 for playing any giant maps, not just mine. Nothing really I can do about.