Giant Earth Map - Version 4

Let's just say the startdate is post-1900.;) (Don't wanna reveal to much at this early stage, but I've posted some info on my Scenarios/Maps thread. BTW, did a little recount: civs are down to 32 presently.)

Btw, is this map made especially for some speed? I had used only quick, but not sure is quick ideal speed of this scenario, since 1500AD is made for marathon speed.

And what is secret of Curys? He is in top 5 on every game i play. And when i try play with him, i see only bad start position, alot of tundra and too many neighbours. :lol:

well i think that almost every civilization can win.
i tried play with several /but never finished for many reasons/ but since I´ve play I allways get on first position until 1 AD or 1000 AD
I´ve played with: israel, cyrus, poland, french

/i play marathon speed, noble difficulity/

Wow, marathon... I get bored before i even have my first settler if i play marathon :lol:

But i think that this is made for marathon speed too. Am I right Genghis?

I agree Marathon speed can take very long (I personally prefer Epic speed, but only with certain scenarios), but it certainly depends on the selected start date (plus BtS has the Advanced Start option - which, BTW, is also an option with Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod).

Wow, marathon... I get bored before i even have my first settler if i play marathon :lol:

But i think that this is made for marathon speed too. Am I right Genghis?

Although it would seem to me for a giant sized earth map, it is more natural to play for a longer time (imagine if playing at quick speed, you would even reach the other end of the world before entering modern age :lol:). But there isn't really a restriction , really depends on your person favor and free time for civ available i think.

Actually, i got satellite technology with quick speed in year 1906AD, and circumnavigated world far before that (obvisously). That damn Edmund Barton won me by one turn :mad:

Maybe only reason i play on quick is that it takes about 5 minutes per turn to change turn, in later eras of course. So if i play with marathon, or epic, it takes alot more time to me reach modern era.

So it's not problem to play with quick, altough i prefer marathon speed more than quick, but it's almost impossible with my computer to play marathon speed big maps like this.

But still this is only map that i'm interested to play atm. :lol:

:agree:
it's almost impossible with my computer to play marathon speed big maps like this.

Got the same issue (happens also with +20 or so civs on regular maps and I've given up on FfH...)

But I agree, GEM is brilliant (can't wait to see your 200 BC scenario)!:goodjob:

Genghis,

I've been having the same problem since December and have been through this forum and have not seen an answer. I load the the GEM in mods, attempt to start the game and none of the civilizations have units. I can't even play the game as I'm defeated before it starts. None of the civs have units. Please help me with this. Thanks.

Won a Game as Romans, have almost the entire old world, not bothered to invade america´s yet. but it was a tough battle to get ahead in tech and all just on noble, i love it :)

but i see the same problem every game now, as england i am reduced to 7 cities really until i later can earn more money and have ships to properly invade places! no problem with that, found out i was second in research, not bad, but then meet pascal, using an american face, so thought to myself, well mayan empire is gone again, so went to planet view, to see what the game had developed as, incan empire does this every game now, they kill mayans, currently own most of aztecs as well and in a short while i guess brazil and aztecs will be hit and reduced again.

Incans and Etiopians needs to be reduced or their neighbors getting a lift, because these two seem to become huge each time. Seems Mayans could use a bit of a boost, they never seem to make it far into the game before being wiped out.

also a few nations have hunting, but nothing around to really make into camps like russia, why are there so few deer and furs in their territory? perhaps a way to boost those poor nations :) or those that begin with mining while no hills nearby to mine lol

Won a Game as Romans, have almost the entire old world, not bothered to invade america´s yet. but it was a tough battle to get ahead in tech and all just on noble, i love it :)

but i see the same problem every game now, as england i am reduced to 7 cities really until i later can earn more money and have ships to properly invade places! no problem with that, found out i was second in research, not bad, but then meet pascal, using an american face, so thought to myself, well mayan empire is gone again, so went to planet view, to see what the game had developed as, incan empire does this every game now, they kill mayans, currently own most of aztecs as well and in a short while i guess brazil and aztecs will be hit and reduced again.

Incans and Etiopians needs to be reduced or their neighbors getting a lift, because these two seem to become huge each time. Seems Mayans could use a bit of a boost, they never seem to make it far into the game before being wiped out.

also a few nations have hunting, but nothing around to really make into camps like russia, why are there so few deer and furs in their territory? perhaps a way to boost those poor nations :) or those that begin with mining while no hills nearby to mine lol

I haven't been looking at the plain map for a long while. Sounds like the Aztecs and Ethiopia are having better starting location because of those tundra/hill/floodplain combination (4 food + 1 hammer). So I might just reduce the amount of these terrain a bit and it should be balanced.

Genghis,

I've been having the same problem since December and have been through this forum and have not seen an answer. I load the the GEM in mods, attempt to start the game and none of the civilizations have units. I can't even play the game as I'm defeated before it starts. None of the civs have units. Please help me with this. Thanks.

Do you have the latest version? Is it installed correctly?

I am intending to make some generic unit changes for the upcoming GEM release. I would like to hear your opinion.

The first change is to increase the speed of ships and armour units. The changes are:

Unit Name / Movement
Horse Archer 3
Knight 2
Cuirassier 3
Cavalry 3
Tank 3
Mech. Infantry 4
Mobile Artillery 4
Mobile SAM 4
Modern Armor 4
Gunship 8

Work boat 3
Galley 3
Trireme 3
Caravel 4
Galleon 5
Frigate 6
Privateer 6
Ship of the line 5
Ironclad 4
Transport 7
Destroyer 10
Submarine 8
Battleship 8
Carrier 7
Stealth Destoyer 11
Att. Submarine 9
Missile Cruiser 9

Another change is to make the special units of every civ even more 'special'.

Unit Name/Hammers/Strength/Movement
Bowman/25/4/1
Skirmisher/20/4/1
Cho-Ko-Nu/50/6/1
Quechua/15/3/1
Holkan/30/5/1
Impi/35/5/2
Landsknecht/50/6/1
Phalanx/35/6/1
Dog Soldier/25/4/1
Vulture/35/6/1 (+50% vs Melee)
Jaguar/35/6/1
Gallic Warrior/40/7/1
Praetorian/45/8/1 (+25% vs Melee)
Samurai/70/10/1
Berserker/70/9/1
Oromo Warrior/60/9/1
Musketeer/80/10/2
Janissary/80/10/1
Redcoat/110/16/1
Navy SEAL/160/24/2
War Chariot/30/6/2
Immortal/30/5/2
Ballista Elephant/60/9/1
Numidian Cavalry/50/6/3
Keshik/50/8/3
Camel Archer/60/10/2
Cataphract/90/12/2
Conquistador/100/14/3
Cossack/100/15/3
Panzer/180/30/3
Hwacha/50/6/1
Carrack/60/4/4
East Indiaman/80/6/6
Fast Worker/60/0/3

I think if you translate into real distances the Tank will outrun the horse - provided it can refuel ofcourse. (It also depends on the calender speed.) Otherwise I see no problems.;)

My understanding is that tanks during WW1 and WW2 are actually quite slow.

I have updated the list btw.

WW I tanks most definitely would be no match for even the slowest horse, WW II no. The Soviet 26.5 ton T-34, in service from 1940, of which more than 84,000 were built, had a top speed of 53 km/h. The somewhat lighter M-4 Sherman of 1940 was a bit slower at 36.5 km/h. Mind you, off-road these speeds might be halved. Also, Panzers (like the Mk. III, IV and VI, also known as Panther) tended to be slower, but these were also produced in much smaller numbers (under 10,000). Now a race might do 50 km/h or run a marathon of 26 miles under an hour, but it's ofcourse endurance that counts. So, assuming a tank doesn't need to refuel every hour, the horse will be the underdog.

Otherwise, still looking fine.;)

Top Bottom